This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

27 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I hope GB's D never has to face him

In years past I would normally agree but I feel like this defense is gaining momentum. I see them as the Bears last year... going to be a really good defense by years end and a Mack type player in the front seven away from being special.

Green Bay wouldn’t shut them down but if GB’s offense is on... they would win enough series to put themselves in position to win.

35 minutes ago, Green19 said:

In years past I would normally agree but I feel like this defense is gaining momentum. I see them as the Bears last year... going to be a really good defense by years end and a Mack type player in the front seven away from being special.

Green Bay wouldn’t shut them down but if GB’s offense is on... they would win enough series to put themselves in position to win.

I think if GB has a good EDGE draft next year we'll be set, especially with the CB's getting a year of seasoning. This year though, I think Mahomes would righteously tear GB a new one.

9 hours ago, DannyB said:

Uh, no we haven't. We've seen team success, we've seen steady quarterback play, hell, we even saw Alex Smith have some limited, temporary success pushing the ball down the field last year. But he was never, has never, is never, will never, be throwing the football and making the plays that Mahomes has the tools to make.

KC's offense has put up big numbers, so yes, we have seen it before. It just doesn't work come playoff time

As far as crowning Mahomes as some boogie man that can't be stopped, I think it's a tad early

• Like 3

IDK, just seems to me the next big thing quarterbacks always have a steady progression.  Mahomes, Goff, Trubisky... They all feel like honeymoon phases to me.  Trubisky looked extremely pedestrian against three alright teams, then he breaks out against one of the worst and certainly the least-talented defenses in the league and he's good?  

People saw "franchise QB" out of Christian Ponder.  Teddy Bridgewater.  Ryan Tannehill.  RG3.  Dak.  Andrew Luck REALLY wasn't that great even before his injury.  Winston.  Matt Ryan was the guy who would take over the Manning mantel.  Garroppolo was Tom Brady 2 and then he was entirely alright at the start of his second year with the Niners.  Kaepernick was future great.  Flacco was a franchise QB.  Bradford was a franchise QB at least four times.  Deshaun Watson was unstoppable, now he's been alright.  

This has happened way way way too many times for me to start worrying about any of Goff/Mahomes/Trubisky.  

People wont even wait until the end of the season when we've seen so many times quarterbacks fall off the face of the Earth after teams have an actual chance to learn their habits, attack their weaknesses and defend their strengths.

Russell Wilson is even an example.  He was future greatest ever until the Seahawks had to pay him.  People still act like he's a great QB with no help while neglecting the fact that he doesn't have enough help precisely because the contract he got was BECAUSE of his help.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I think if GB has a good EDGE draft next year we'll be set, especially with the CB's getting a year of seasoning. This year though, I think Mahomes would righteously tear GB a new one.

He is no more dangerous than Rodgers in his early prime. And teams had their moments against Rodgers.

Good offenses have one consistent  kryptonite... defenses that can match man to man with their talent. It was the issue Indy, Green Bay, that one year for Denver all had. They ran into a defense that matched up well man to man. And I have growing  confidence that GB will get to that point.

Alexander, Jackson, king, Burks, etc these are becoming pieces they can just set on guys and not worry. You put Alexander on Hill, Jackson/king would take Klece and Watkins... you start to slow those pieces down.

Edited by Green19

Mahomes absolutely looks legit for anyone that has watched the first few games. He is controlling at the LOS, he doesn't seem to make too many stupid throws, and his eyes are always looking downfield when he's scrambling. There is a difference when you watch him and the other young QBs. 

The Chiefs also have probably the best set of skill positions in the NFL, and their OL has played like a top 5 unit so far this year. It's a shame for them (and fortunate for the rest of the league) that their defense looks absolutely terrible

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cannondale said:

KC's offense has put up big numbers, so yes, we have seen it before. It just doesn't work come playoff time

As far as crowning Mahomes as some boogie man that can't be stopped, I think it's a tad early

Not to mention what a healthy Rodgers and Packers offense would do that to that KC defense.

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Mahomes absolutely looks legit for anyone that has watched the first few games. He is controlling at the LOS, he doesn't seem to make too many stupid throws, and his eyes are always looking downfield when he's scrambling. There is a difference when you watch him and the other young QBs. 

The Chiefs also have probably the best set of skill positions in the NFL, and their OL has played like a top 5 unit so far this year. It's a shame for them (and fortunate for the rest of the league) that their defense looks absolutely terrible

And come late in the year/playoffs when the league stops calling games so tight teams like Baltimore and Jacksonville will be allowed to man handle them a bit and their offense will slow down greatly.

Happens all the time to GB (or any overly offensive focused team)  and then it’s like what happened to the offense?!?!? And the defense is in no position to carry the team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:
7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

And come late in the year/playoffs when the league stops calling games so tight teams like Baltimore and Jacksonville will be allowed to man handle them a bit and their offense will slow down greatly.

Happens all the time to GB (or any overly offensive focused team)  and then it’s like what happened to the offense?!?!? And the defense is in no position to carry the team.

Yup. The Chiefs remind me a bit of our 2011 team where we went 15-1, but so many of the games came down to a GWD one way or the other. When (or if) Berry comes back, he will play a big part in helping them. But it seems like a scheme issue and not a player one. 

All this KC talk reconfirms for me what I start thinking 5-7 years ago, that the best way to build a team is thru the defense and getting a good QB that can do more with less.

For as great as Hill, Hunt and Klece are... I feel that  they will just lose that pop in cold weather, slow tracks and with defenses allowing to play.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Howler said:

I can't wait to see how Jacksonville handles the Kansas City offense. Jacksonville has the pursuit speed to shut them down. 

I think the JAX secondary superior to KC's - but also think they might have faced the best EDGE rushing team last night in DEN.

DEN's got all the EDGE rushers we need - and as evidenced last night - that rush unsettled the KC passing game a good deal.
Often times it wasnt enough to chase Mahones down - but they put serious pressure on him. More (I think) than what JAX can bring.