This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

34 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Serious question:

It seems like Hyde, Hayward and Shields all look pretty decent since leaving GB, why didn’t you guys keep them? None of them (iirc) were big time FAs. What gives?

edit: I know Shields is prone to concussions, so you can omit him from this question if you’d like.

Simplest explanation:

Packers coaches starting at the top want execution over scheme and they are too stubborn to see that some players aren't capable of doing what is asked of them.  Instead of creating a scheme that caters to strengths and avoiding weaknesses.

38 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I think the long story short is Randall and Rollins. The FO thought they had similar, younger, cheaper, and at the very least equal options on the team. It didn't work out obviously but that's very likely the reasoning.

At the time it was the correct decision.  Randall and Rollins both had very good rookie seasons.  Hayward was never healthy.  Hyde is too slow, and was not better than HaHa or Burnett.  I honestly believe that Randall can do anything that Hyde can do, and do it faster.  Now, Rollins didn't develop and was stunted by injury, and Randall had his issues and was traded.  If they were still in GB, we are complaining about Hayward fighting a pulled hamstring for the 5th year in a row, and watching TEs run away from Hyde.

Shields was one hit away from permanent damage, and the Packers wanted nothing to do with that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I don't understand it. Wasn't he great last year?

I understand it. Barr sucking is proof God loves us and want us to prosper.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/924320858620952576?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-36897873152242910440.ampproject.net%2F1809142227020%2Fframe.html

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Simplest explanation:

Packers coaches starting at the top want execution over scheme and they are too stubborn to see that some players aren't capable of doing what is asked of them.  Instead of creating a scheme that caters to strengths and avoiding weaknesses.

Then why not draft players with skill sets that fit the scheme?

24 minutes ago, malak1 said:

try to find a coach that doesn't think he cant fix any player he has/gets in his room... its just a stubbornness that most fans have to accept 

it takes a combination of talent & the right pieces with the right mindset that buy into a coaches plan to make it work successfully more times then not

Edited by driftwood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

TIL; Vikings fans still think they are far and away the best team in the North.

Who was saying that? Did you hear every Viking fan on earth say that or just a handful? Or just one or two and then generalized the entire fan base? Legitimately curious. 

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Who was saying that? Did you hear every Viking fan on earth say that or just a handful? Or just one or two and then generalized the entire fan base? Legitimately curious. 

Technically if even two vikings fans said that then saying 'Vikings fans' would still be correct.

15 hours ago, malak1 said:

So, do you blame the GM or the DC for not getting the talent needed?  Keep in mind from 2011-17* the Packers had 15 first and second round picks, 10 of these were spent on defensive players.  These draft picks were a mixed bag, but the investment was made.  If your defense only works with a top 3 safety, and a DPOY on it, I tend to blame the defensive scheme more than the talent available.  Just give me Harrison Smith, Jalen Ramsey, and Khalil Mack and my defense will work.

*I used this time period because it was the Thompson/Capers overlap after the defense hit its height in 2010, I think it was second in the league that season.  The 2010 defense boasted: Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Clay Matthews, BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins, Tramon Williams, and Sam Shields.  The combo of Shields and Williams is absolute UDFA gold, probably an NFL GM's wet dream.

20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mean, yeah, but MM has been  elite over a long period of time when he has his QB. Payton has had his the whole time basically.

Agreed.

Let's see:  Payton has one ring and has missed the playoffs 6 times even with his QB.  MM also has one ring and missed the playoffs twice in the same time period.  One miss was when AR was in his first season and the other was last year when AR was hurt.  So I would love to know why exactly is Payton a superior HC than McCarthy?

• Like 2