This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

16 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I don’t understand what the Bears are doing trading for Montez Sweat and paying him $98 mil 

If it doesn't affect their pick, it's going to look like a stroke of genius.  If it alters their pick, they're going to have a LOT of egg on their face.  Prior to the deadline, their biggest need aside from QB was EDGE.  Instead of using a top 5 pick on an EDGE, they can use their top 2 picks on a QB (Maye or Williams) along with whatever they deem as 2nd biggest need or 2nd BPA.  Imagine walking out of the draft with Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr., and Montez Sweat with their first 3 picks.  That's a HELL of a way to jumpstart a rebuild.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

If it doesn't affect their pick, it's going to look like a stroke of genius.  If it alters their pick, they're going to have a LOT of egg on their face.  Prior to the deadline, their biggest need aside from QB was EDGE.  Instead of using a top 5 pick on an EDGE, they can use their top 2 picks on a QB (Maye or Williams) along with whatever they deem as 2nd biggest need or 2nd BPA.  Imagine walking out of the draft with Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr., and Montez Sweat with their first 3 picks.  That's a HELL of a way to jumpstart a rebuild.

I understand all of this in abstract theory.

I just don't think Sweat is that guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I understand all of this in abstract theory.

I just don't think Sweat is that guy.

It is fair to think Sweat isn't the guy.  In his defense, he is averaging 7 sacks and 40 some tackles per season (and only played in 10 games in 2021) while being on pace for 13 sacks and 60ish tackles this season. He is 27 now, and goes until he is probably 32, which should be his prime.  He is not in too dissimilar of a situation as Za'Darius Smith was when we signed him, just with more PT at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is fair to think Sweat isn't the guy.  In his defense, he is averaging 7 sacks and 40 some tackles per season (and only played in 10 games in 2021) while being on pace for 13 sacks and 60ish tackles this season. He is 27 now, and goes until he is probably 32, which should be his prime.  He is not in too dissimilar of a situation as Za'Darius Smith was when we signed him, just with more PT at the time.

Bears fans also posting that Sweat rates very well vs the run.  No idea how true that is.

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I would laugh my way to the bank if they take like a JJ McCarthy prospect after playing themselves out of the top 2

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just keeping the seat warm for Michael Penix.

Either or would be fine with me. 

Although I’d like to see JJ play some big boy games this year before I have a stronger opinion. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:13 PM, Isherwood said:

I would laugh my way to the bank if they take like a JJ McCarthy prospect after playing themselves out of the top 2

KOC seems to be putting his QBs in a position to succeed. Even limited QBs like Dobbs and Hall looked good against a strong Falcons defense.

I'm not saying that he can make something out of any QB, but any QB going to Minnesota is walking into a good situation.

• Like 1