Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah I emplore all of you to not buy tickets. Ownership is laughing at us. They think they can not even attempt to put a winning product out there and still turn a profit, not even caring about the result on the field. Take your kids to other, minor league games or something.

You don’t have to ask this town twice to not go to an Indians/guardians game. No one cares anymore. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
25 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah I emplore all of you to not buy tickets. Ownership is laughing at us. They think they can not even attempt to put a winning product out there and still turn a profit, not even caring about the result on the field. Take your kids to other, minor league games or something.

I may take my boys to a game this summer, but I’ll make sure it’s when they play the Reds down here.  

No chance I’m going up there.  

Cincinnati and Cleveland doing an IRL South Park “we suck more” episode this year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

You don’t have to ask this town twice to not go to an Indians/guardians game. No one cares anymore. 

People don’t care because there’s nothing to care about. 

Good baseball?  Maybe.  But that only appeals to actual baseball fans.  The same fans who get alienated every time you don’t resign or trade one of their favorite players.

The causal fans care even more about the names.  They may not know much about the team or if they’re good or whatever, but they know Albert/Kenny/Carlos/Manny/Thome/CC/Lee/Frankie, etc.are good.

Baseball isn’t dead or dying on its own, it’s being killed off by the MLB.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Buddy the Reds as spending like 90 something million.  Literally twice what the Indians are.

That’s still on about 2 contracts, and I’m betting on one or both being dealt. Ken Griffey Jr is their 6th highest paid player this year at $3 million. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That’s still on about 2 contracts, and I’m betting on one or both being dealt. Ken Griffey Jr is their 6th highest paid player this year at $3 million. 

Maybe they get dealt or whatever, but that’s still 2 more dudes than the Tribe would pay.  

Votto is old and overpaid, but he’s the face of the franchise, a household name and is going to retire a Red.  Name the last Indians player you could say that about.  There’s at least some attempt to keep a fanbase engaged.

The Reds just aren’t as well run as the Indians, which make a the whole being cheap thing that much more frustrating.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe they get dealt or whatever, but that’s still 2 more dudes than the Tribe would pay.  

Votto is old and overpaid, but he’s the face of the franchise, a household name and is going to retire a Red.  Name the last Indians player you could say that about.  There’s at least some attempt to keep a fanbase engaged.

That and a no trade clause, let’s be honest here. The difference is that the Baseball Guardians (not the roller derby ones it’s so confusing) wouldn’t sign a contract with that stipulation.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The Reds just aren’t as well run as the Indians, which make a the whole being cheap thing that much more frustrating.

No doubt. If they’d keep this Moneyball philosophy while occasionally ponying up for legit HOF players, it would be perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People don’t care because there’s nothing to care about. 

Good baseball?  Maybe.  But that only appeals to actual baseball fans.  The same fans who get alienated every time you don’t resign or trade one of their favorite players.

The causal fans care even more about the names.  They may not know much about the team or if they’re good or whatever, but they know Albert/Kenny/Carlos/Manny/Thome/CC/Lee/Frankie, etc.are good.

Baseball isn’t dead or dying on its own, it’s being killed off by the MLB.

Lack of a true salary cap? 

The Astros perpetrators aren't exiled and banished from the game like the 1918 Black Sox? 

Eliminating the shift?

Sinclair/Bally's inept access to the game?

You are absolutely right.  The game is destroying itself, and it saddens me so damn much.  I love this game, but it has disrespected us for far too long.

GIF by FirstAndMonday

That being said.....

......if you're looking for a summer replacement....

Hugging Reaction GIFSchitts Creek Please GIF by CBC

Round 1 Mark GIF by Adelaide Crowsgeelong cats goal GIF by AFL

Just Saying Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Lack of a true salary cap? 

The Astros perpetrators aren't exiled and banished from the game like the 1918 Black Sox? 

Eliminating the shift?

Sinclair/Bally's inept access to the game?

You are absolutely right.  The game is destroying itself, and it saddens me so damn much.  I love this game, but it has disrespected us for far too long.

GIF by FirstAndMonday

That being said.....

......if you're looking for a summer replacement....

Hugging Reaction GIFSchitts Creek Please GIF by CBC

Round 1 Mark GIF by Adelaide Crowsgeelong cats goal GIF by AFL

Just Saying Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Imo it’s a lack of a salary cap and a salary floor paired with enough profit sharing each team can meet the cap with little issue.

I think the NFL is the gold standard with this.

Good teams lose good players as they can’t keep everyone and it helps poor franchises who are struggling to field a competitive product. At the same time, things like franchise tags allow organizations to be competitive in keeping talent.

The MLB is small markets being AAAA teams for large markets. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

It's that simple.

Sad part is the damned family still will make money since they have skimped on payroll/players.

It’s sad because we’ve proven we will show up and sell out stadiums and arenas if the team spends and tries to win. I think this city wants to support the team but it’s hard when we know as soon as a player comes up in free agency we will just let them walk or trade them before hand. Hard to get behind a team when they do that stuff. That’s how they lost me as a hardcore fan after they let cc and lee walk back to back years. 

• Like 3