Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
10 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Hall of Very Good is what the baseball HOF does best.

Baseball historians: Is Barry Bonds in the Hall of Fame? That guy was the greatest of all time!

Committee: No, but can I introduce you to Bert Blylevin or Harold Baines? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or even his contemporaries like Bagwell or Musina.

If Musina never plays in NY he's not even considered. I don't like the person, but the player Curt Schilling is infinitely more talented as a pitcher and more impactful than Moose ever was. At least Bagwell won an MVP in 1994, hit almost .300 (.297) with 3 silver sluggers, a gold glove, and 449 HR. Harold Baines did none of those things.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

If Musina never plays in NY he's not even considered. I don't like the person, but the player Curt Schilling is infinitely more talented as a pitcher and more impactful than Moose ever was.

Yeah it’s the baseball HOF, not the political views HOF.  He and especially Clemens deserve to be in over him as far as pitchers go, no question.

Just now, MWil23 said:

At least Bagwell won an MVP in 1994, hit almost .300 (.297) with 3 silver sluggers, a gold glove, and 449 HR. Harold Baines did none of those things.

Sure, and I don’t mean to crap on his career, he was great.  But when guys like Sosa, McGuire, Bonds, ARod, Manny, etc are on the sidelines and played at the same time that Bagwell (and likely to be elected Scott Rolen) did, it’s hard to say they’re deserving.

And Bagwell’s whole case is kinda funny.  Like, I don’t think he’s as deserving as the other guys I listed, but you can make a case for him.  Like, he won an MVP. During the steroid era.  As in, better than all the dudes ON steroids, but he was clean.  I’m skeptical.

Top of my head there are like 2 guys from that era I’m willing to accept may not have taken gear at some point, Thome and Griffey.  That’s prolly it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s the baseball HOF, not the political views HOF.  He and especially Clemens deserve to be in over him as far as pitchers go, no question.

Sure, and I don’t mean to crap on his career, he was great.  But when guys like Sosa, McGuire, Bonds, ARod, Manny, etc are on the sidelines and played at the same time that Bagwell (and likely to be elected Scott Rolen) did, it’s hard to say they’re deserving.

And Bagwell’s whole case is kinda funny.  Like, I don’t think he’s as deserving as the other guys I listed, but you can make a case for him.  Like, he won an MVP. During the steroid era.  As in, better than all the dudes ON steroids, but he was clean.  I’m skeptical.

Top of my head there are like 2 guys from that era I’m willing to accept may not have taken gear at some point, Thome and Griffey.  That’s prolly it.

IMO you either keep them all out or let them all in. Them letting Big Papi in despite a positive test this year was nothing short of hypocritically laughable. I guess we let him in because he's "loveable" to the media when Bonds, Clemends, and Schilling were surly. It's a joke.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Schilling not being in the hof because his political views is a joke. Baseball writers are the most smug POS in sports.

Wasn’t he also in the PED discussion?

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be in the HOF, just that it’s not just the opinions.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be in the HOF, just that it’s not just the opinions.

He was pretty outspoken as anti-PED.  Testified in front of Congress, wanted them to go hard against it.  Put Jose Canseco on blast in the process.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, End Run said:
44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He was pretty outspoken as anti-PED.  Testified in front of Congress, wanted them to go hard against it.  Put Jose Canseco on blast in the process.

Yep. He was very anti PED. I'd be very surprised given his outspoken nature if he was on PEDs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk man, sometimes the ones proclaiming to be the most innocent are in fact not.

Not sayin he did or didn’t, but grandstanding doesn’t mean much to me.

Yeah, I don't trust many athletes/celebrities. I do know that he burned down every player bridge he had over PED, so maybe he's just a surly scorched earth persona regardless of his own guilt, but whether people agree with him or not, he seems fairly rooted in his beliefs, so that would surprise (albeit not shock) me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk maybe. He just never looked like a steroid user to me. He didn’t have the giant head or massive McGwire forearms. He always looked like someone’s chubby dad.