Foles vs. Wentz - what will the Eagles do??

KC_Guy

Just now, Danger said:

Except that a lot of the "Video" you claimed to have seen from Foles is with him under Jeff Fisher. Look at Jared Goff, Look at Case Keenum. All three of these guys are playing betters since getting away from that bum. You may as well throw out his tape with the Rams.

I have to come back to John DeFilippo. If he moves into an OC job during the offseason somewhere, that's where Foles will go.

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl and had one of the best statistical playoff runs in recent NFL history. He outplayed Tom Brady for most of the game. He's also relatively young and cheap. If unproven guys can be traded for 2nd rounders, I see no reason Foles can't.

And you think that teams are going to suddenly buy into the notion that Nick Foles is some completely different player?

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Except that a lot of the "Video" you claimed to have seen from Foles is with him under Jeff Fisher. Look at Jared Goff, Look at Case Keenum. All three of these guys are playing betters since getting away from that bum. You may as well throw out his tape with the Rams.

yes...because a 3 game stretch means more than the previous 5 seasons.  He's a byproduct of the offensive system.  He's done it before when Chip Kelly was HC.

Just now, CWood21 said:

And you think that teams are going to suddenly buy into the notion that Nick Foles is some completely different player?

No but they'll also have a better understanding of what his strengths are as a player, and be able to tailor their offense around those strengths if they acquire him. Coaching matters. 

Just now, Starless said:

No but they'll also have a better understanding of what his strengths are as a player, and be able to tailor their offense around those strengths if they acquire him. Coaching matters. 

I don't think you really comprehend how much better he was in the playoffs than his career averages.  His CMP% was 12 points higher than his career average, his TD/INT was 6-1 in the playoffs and his career average is 2.1 to 1.  I mean, I don't know how anyone looks at what he did in the playoffs and believe that he's going to sustain that level of production.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

yes...because a 3 game stretch means more than the previous 5 seasons.  He's a byproduct of the offensive system.  He's done it before when Chip Kelly was HC.

There is nothing wrong with being a by product of a system. 
Just stay in the system. 

Can't lay blame on a player for good coaching. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think you really comprehend how much better he was in the playoffs than his career averages.  His CMP% was 12 points higher than his career average, his TD/INT was 6-1 in the playoffs and his career average is 2.1 to 1.  I mean, I don't know how anyone looks at what he did in the playoffs and believe that he's going to sustain that level of production.

Usually when guys produce in a small sample size in a way that outstrips their typical production like that, there are things you can find on film that will indicate whether or not that spike in production was a fluke. I'm not sure there will be such a 'tell' with Foles' playoff film. He was dropping dimes throughout the NFCCG and Super Bowl, which suggests to me that the improvement might be for real. Obviously expecting him to go to a new team and be an all-pro out of the gate is unrealistic but there's also reason to think his recent performances aren't fraudulent.

21 minutes ago, Starless said:

Usually when guys produce in a small sample size in a way that outstrips their typical production like that, there are things you can find on film that will indicate whether or not that spike in production was a fluke. I'm not sure there will be such a 'tell' with Foles' playoff film. He was dropping dimes throughout the NFCCG and Super Bowl, which suggests to me that the improvement might be for real. Obviously expecting him to go to a new team and be an all-pro out of the gate is unrealistic but there's also reason to think his recent performances aren't fraudulent.

There's every reason to indicate that his production isn't sustainable.  In fact, there's significantly more evidence that he won't sustain that kind of production over the course of an entire season.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's every reason to indicate that his production isn't sustainable.  In fact, there's significantly more evidence that he won't sustain that kind of production over the course of an entire season.

And those reasons are...?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

2013, he had a great year. 2014 he led his team to a 6-2 record before going down with an injury. 2015 he was traded to Rams and was bad - but his coach was Jeff Fisher. 2016 he backed up Alex Smith and played great when he had to play . 2017 he won the Superbowl coming into the postseason with 3 starts. Foles needs a competent coach to get the best out of him. The throws he was making was as elite as any throw i've seen. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

While this may be true that also means there is proof that in the right system he can be pretty great (also including the year with Chip). Good coaches tailor their system to the players. You can install that offense on to your team. Even if he is a system QB as long as you run that system you're golden

50 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

2013, he had a great year. 2014 he led his team to a 6-2 record before going down with an injury. 2015 he was traded to Rams and was bad - but his coach was Jeff Fisher. 2016 he backed up Alex Smith and played great when he had to play . 2017 he won the Superbowl coming into the postseason with 3 starts. Foles needs a competent coach to get the best out of him. The throws he was making was as elite as any throw i've seen. 

On the flip side, 6-2 record or not he was pretty meh in 2014 and he was below average in 2012 as well.  Jeff Fisher sucks but he doesn't singlehandedly excuse a 69 passer rating over 11 starts by a veteran QB.  And he only threw the ball 55 times last year, so that's not really a meaningful sample size. 

Buying into Foles is basically about 2013 and the 2017 playoffs.  That's fine, he deserves a shot, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's on the bench by week 5.

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

On the flip side, 6-2 record or not he was pretty meh in 2014 and he was below average in 2012 as well.  Jeff Fisher sucks but he doesn't singlehandedly excuse a 69 passer rating over 11 starts by a veteran QB.  And he only threw the ball 55 times last year, so that's not really a meaningful sample size. 

Buying into Foles is basically about 2013 and the 2017 playoffs.  That's fine, he deserves a shot, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's on the bench by week 5.

2013 the Chip Kelly team took the NFL by surprise... 2014 teams were starting to figure it out and chip was predictable.. 2012 he was a rookie who was put in an impossible situation. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's break that down

2013- PHI Excellent season

2014- PHI-Not nearly as good but still looked like a capable starter

2015- LAR- Sucked

2016- KC- Backup played a little hard to really gauge 

2017- PHI - 2 good games 2 phenomenal games 5 quarters of not great

So he's had a weird career. I don't know how you can look at these 3 games and say that it is a complete outlier. It is difficult to judge 100% what he is, but you can say his ceiling is Super Bowl MVP. It is all about whether your coach and your system is one that allows him to reach that ceiling or not. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

There is nothing wrong with being a by product of a system. 
Just stay in the system. 

Can't lay blame on a player for good coaching. 

No, you have to able to drag a team of scrubs in multiple offensive systems to a championship in order to be "for real". Because logic.

Archived