Venom

Acgott

On 2/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, Jakuvious said:

This is my issue. I feel like it really just shouldn't have been done. It's pointless. If you're going to release that, release nothing yet, IMO.

If all it needed to be was the teaser to let everyone know this movie is coming, we didnt need the random other shots from the film thrown in there.

It should have just been the slow pan down on Hardy, laying out on that MRI table, with audio in the background; explosions, gunfire, shouting, whatever they are using as the catalyst. Then it mixes with symbiote sounds, dropping in "we" being whispered over and over, and then see the black symbiote creeping out from around him, and he wakes up screaming. Black screen to the movie logo of the eyes they are using.

I just threw that off the top of my head and it would have been a better "teaser" than what they put together.

Disappointing teaser. As much as I like Venom, this movie is a bad idea. For starters theres no real connection to Spidey here. I mean The current movie Spiderman is in HS. Then you put together a good cast for something that may end up being a one shot, or from the sounds of it, connect to a Black Cat/Silver Sable spinoff movie. So then you have 2 unnecessary movies. We'll see how this all shakes out.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, StLunatic88 said:

No one Ive seen was asking for too much. Its Venom, anyone who is paying attention to this teaser this far out is a fan, so give us some of the symbiote. We barely see it in canisters for a split second from a reverse angle. As stated before, if this wasnt an existing property, I would have no clue what the heck this thing was for. 

Generic is not what you want for a teaser, you are trying to peak intrest, and on the whole, this did not accomplish that

Yup. Not a comics fan, but came to check out the teaser because an R-rated Venom film could entertain a filthy casual such as myself. Disappointing teaser but I'll check back when a trailer drops.

• 2 months later...

I honestly probably won't watch this movie unless it becomes a part of  the MCU.  Everything looks good and I love Tom Hardy, but I'm so burnt out by superhero/comic type movies unless they're a part of the MCU.  I haven't even seen Deadpool from start to finish.  MCU has ruined superhero movies that aren't a part of a larger universe/good universe. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I honestly probably won't watch this movie unless it becomes a part of  the MCU.  Everything looks good and I love Tom Hardy, but I'm so burnt out by superhero/comic type movies unless they're a part of the MCU.  I haven't even seen Deadpool from start to finish.  MCU has ruined superhero movies that aren't a part of a larger universe/good universe. 

Not going to tell you what to like, but there are plenty of good comic book/superhero films that aren’t part of the MCU. If you can’t even give Deadpool a fair shot then you are completely cutting yourself off at the knees. 

Honestly the MCU has become very overrated, and solid/fun films are being harolded as some godsend to the movie world. Much due to the incompetence of the DC films, but plenty due to fans putting them on a pedestal and refusing to be fair when it’s time to critique

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not going to tell you what to like, but there are plenty of good comic book/superhero films that aren’t part of the MCU. If you can’t even give Deadpool a fair shot then you are completely cutting yourself off at the knees. 

Honestly the MCU has become very overrated, and solid/fun films are being harolded as some godsend to the movie world. Much due to the incompetence of the DC films, but plenty due to fans putting them on a pedestal and refusing to be fair when it’s time to critique

I agree with you, but I totally get where @HorizontoZenith is coming from.

Deadpool IMO is kind of a different genre of superhero movie, so its even easier to ignore the fact that its not really connected to a larger universe.      IMO, Deadpool actually works far better NOT being part of larger universe IMO.     It wouldnt make sense seeing him break the 4th wall over and over if he were to appear in say, an X-Men film (unless they made the X-Men franchise slightly comical or something).

And there are obviously other instances of good comic book movies that werent connected to larger universes....The Dark Knight trilogy, Batman 89, XMen (although you can argue XMen is a universe on its own). and even alot of the Marvel movies wouldve been great even if not connected to a larger universe (Iron Man 1, Captain America Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc...)

However, the connected universe IMO allows you to get invested in the characters and stories in ways that you might not otherwise.      It allows you to really care about a character or team of characters and see how they develop over the course of the franchise.    Its why I am so damn frustrated with the DCEU right now....such amazing characters with so much potential for good movies, being squandered....and then you got the morons at WB talking about how certain movies/characters may not be connected, including a separate Joker movie and stupid movies like Shazam and Gotham City Sirens......

I wouldnt say the MCU has inhibited my ability to enjoy a stand alone superhero movie.....but it certainly shows that it can be done well with the right people in charge.      The success of the entire MCU is what allows characters like Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel able to have success with casual fans, because fans will know its connected to the DCEU and be far more interested than they would otherwise.    Thats why I have such a problem with the way DCEU is doing theirs..  

MCU built a foundation with the main Avengers team and branched out from there.

DCEU has a very rocky foundation at best with characters many still arent sold on, and they already started making movies for characters most casual fans dont know much about.     I have almost no doubt Shazam will be a huge flop.....and I think the DCEU in general is in huge trouble.

Didnt mean to go off topic, but bottom line.....I get what he is saying.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

the full trailer ...I'm not optimistic

Looks decent....nothing special.

Going back to the previous discussion, this is a movie I would enjoy far more if I knew Spidey would eventually be going up against.    However, as a stand alone character and not being part of an extended universe, Im simply not excited.     STILL MIGHT BE VERY GOOD, but as of right now, its a PSN rental.

Archived