2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'd say Dez is an upgrade over Allison all day long. In this offense Dez would be going up against opposing teams 3rd and 4th DB's which would be downright criminal.

Dez is an upgrade over Allison in a vacuum.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  But Dez at $5M more than what Allison is getting paid, how much of an upgrade is that?  I'd venture to say it's a bit of an upgrade, but spending an extra $5M means we have $5M less to spend on extensions.  That seems to be the part that people are conveniently leaving out.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Dez is an upgrade over Allison in a vacuum.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  But Dez at $5M more than what Allison is getting paid, how much of an upgrade is that?  I'd venture to say it's a bit of an upgrade, but spending an extra $5M means we have $5M less to spend on extensions.  That seems to be the part that people are conveniently leaving out.

5 Million is peanuts with Bulaga, Clay, and Cobb's $$ coming off the Books. And if Perry continues not to live up to his contract that will be another 12 Million coming off the books. Do the math that's a lot of cap space with other key guys on rookie contracts making peanuts. Fiscal wise I think things are shaping up nicely for the Packers future.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

5 Million is peanuts with Bulaga, Clay, and Cobb's $$ coming off the Books. And if Perry continues not to live up to his contract that will be another 12 Million coming off the books. Do the math that's a lot of cap space with other key guys on rookie contracts making peanuts. Fiscal wise I think things are shaping up nicely for the Packers future.

You're completely missing the point.  If we sign Dez to $5M this year, that means we have $5M less to use for extensions.  Is that something you're prepared to do so?  That means guys like HHCD, Clay Matthews, Mo Wilkerson, etc. hit FA instead of re-signing prior to FA.  Are you willing to risk losing those players in FA?  Long-term wise, it probably doesn't hurt to sign Dez.  Short-term, it has bigger complications than I think you care to admit.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You're completely missing the point.  If we sign Dez to $5M this year, that means we have $5M less to use for extensions.  Is that something you're prepared to do so?  That means guys like HHCD, Clay Matthews, Mo Wilkerson, etc. hit FA instead of re-signing prior to FA.  Are you willing to risk losing those players in FA?  Long-term wise, it probably doesn't hurt to sign Dez.  Short-term, it has bigger complications than I think you care to admit.

Clay will probably price himself out of Green bay if he has a good year. He'll probably want to test FA and go to the highest bidder, I don't see him giving a discount. Mo also if he has a monster year.  Dix is young ill lock him up for sure. Clay is the least player I'm concerned about resigning because of his potential price tag.

On 5/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, fattlipp said:

Dez is great at catching contested balls, ARod doesnt throw contested balls, hell take a sack before throwing into coverage unless end of game/half etc. You know who else was great at catching contested balls.....  Janis, he got what.... 1 game to show it.

ARod doesn't throw contested balls?  He damn sure threw some to James Jones.  I think if Dez came to GB that is what he would look like in this offense, a fast enough, big, physical receiver that will win on those contested ball plays.  A definite red zone concern for opposing defenses.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think this is much ado about nothing. We are about $13 mil under the cap with probably more to come from Rodgers. We could easily spend another $7-8 mil this offseason on vets and be fine for extensions or whatever else we want that rollover for during the season. 

Still talking about Dez?  Forget about it.  If he had anything left Dallas would not have released him.  Dez screwed the pooch by not taking Baltimore's offer.  Big mistake and it will cost him some money.  Doubt he comes close to that offer now.  The Packers want to get younger and faster at the position.  If we were going to go the Dez route we would have just kept Jordy.  Only FA that we could possibly add at this point is another veteran TE.  Otherwise I think the roster is pretty much set.  

On 5/18/2018 at 10:59 PM, CWood21 said:

Greatly exaggerated?  So you think it's just a coincidence that he broke his foot in 2015, and his production since then has been mediocre compared to pre-injury?

Yes Greatly exaggerated.  IMO because he's a former Cowboy with bad blood towards Green Bay.  

Why is it 100% of Jimmy Graham's struggles last year are laid at the feet of his QB yet Bryant's lack of production is because he's broken down?  He's substantially younger and has had far less serious injuries than Graham who was a 9 yard per catch TE last year.

PFF wrote an article late last year.  They have have a percentage of catchable targets stats.  Less than 60% of Bryant's targets over the last 3 years are what they would consider catchable.  When compared to the rest of the league, his 59% puts him at 50 of 51 WRs in the league with at least 200 targets.  

While Dak is a good QB he's no where near an elite thrower.  He's not a strong down the field passer and doesn't like to make 50/50 throws.  I  don't think Dak is a great QB for Dez's skill set.  

3 hours ago, SSG said:

Yes Greatly exaggerated.  IMO because he's a former Cowboy with bad blood towards Green Bay.  

Why is it 100% of Jimmy Graham's struggles last year are laid at the feet of his QB yet Bryant's lack of production is because he's broken down?  He's substantially younger and has had far less serious injuries than Graham who was a 9 yard per catch TE last year.

PFF wrote an article late last year.  They have have a percentage of catchable targets stats.  Less than 60% of Bryant's targets over the last 3 years are what they would consider catchable.  When compared to the rest of the league, his 59% puts him at 50 of 51 WRs in the league with at least 200 targets.  

While Dak is a good QB he's no where near an elite thrower.  He's not a strong down the field passer and doesn't like to make 50/50 throws.  I  don't think Dak is a great QB for Dez's skill set.  

No.  It's not greatly exaggerated.  The argument was made that Dez's drop in production had more to do with with the drop in Dak's play, and my response seemed to indicate that it wasn't that reason.  When Dak was playing at a high level in 2016, Dez's production was still significantly worse than his previous 3 seasons.  Why?  The foot injury pretty much robbed him of his limited speed.  He's just not a fast receiver anymore.  Quite frankly, he wasn't to begin with as his 4.52 forty suggests.

As for your point about Jimmy Graham, are you really going to ignore the difference in systems that Seattle runs compared to what he came out of New Orleans?  Last year, Seattle was 16th in terms of passing attempts.  In Jimmy Graham's last season in New Orleans, New Orleans was 2nd with more than 100 more passing attempts than Seattle had last year.  Last year, Jimmy Graham was 2nd on Seattle in terms of targets at 98 some 20 targets behind Doug Baldwin.  His final season in New Orleans, he was the most targeted receiver by 25 attempts with 125 targets.  That's why the production dipped.  Or at least part of that.  You look at their recent history, and which one seems like the anomaly?  The one who had one down year, or the one whose had two down years?

Nobody is arguing that Dak is an elite thrower, and quite frankly I think you'd be foolish to say that Russell Wilson is an elite thrower.

Honestly I think the easiest point to make regarding Dez not being Dez is the fact that he has not signed a contract yet. Did everyone not see the inflated contracts good #2 receivers got on the market? If he was anything like old Dez he would have 5 or 6 suitors fighting for his attention. Beyond the Baltimore deal their really seems to be very little action regarding Dez. I think that speaks volumes on his current talent level. 

28 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Honestly I think the easiest point to make regarding Dez not being Dez is the fact that he has not signed a contract yet. Did everyone not see the inflated contracts good #2 receivers got on the market? If he was anything like old Dez he would have 5 or 6 suitors fighting for his attention. Beyond the Baltimore deal their really seems to be very little action regarding Dez. I think that speaks volumes on his current talent level. 

Devil's advocate, it's possible he thinks he is worth a lot more than anyone wants to give and that turned them off immediately. Maybe counting on injuries?

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Devil's advocate, it's possible he thinks he is worth a lot more than anyone wants to give and that turned them off immediately. Maybe counting on injuries?

Well we know that you could be right knowing what he turned down from Baltimore. 

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Well we know that you could be right knowing what he turned down from Baltimore. 

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe he doesn't see the incentive to sign earlier than later? IDK, just a thought is all.

35 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I think we'd have a better perspective on Dez if he'd been released at the beginning of the FA period and been able to compete with the other WRs on the market. He came after that period and so close to the draft that alot of teams probably had their draft boards set.

Archived