2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Valid points both. But if Reid could play some slot, I think he might be worth a reasonable hit to our cap. Extending Rodgers should free up some space.

8483183a4b0c827de8b1b764bc6b17da.gif?1392720149

9392eacc4b48bad5fa55221992e9b0e6.gif?1392720201

We already have a safety to play in the slot. We just never play him there. The guy had elite man coverage skills for a saftey coming out and we have never put him in that situation one time. Hopefully Pettine bucks the trend. 

1 minute ago, moretti19 said:

I like Reids brother more than I like him, but I do think he is a above average safety and would be a great asset to our defense. Wonder how much his stance on the National Anthem is hurting his signing?

Just ask Kaepernick. Teams have enough distractions to allow that garbage. Owners have sent the message loud and clear. Being an NFL player isn't a platform any more than my job. If you want to have a talk show, then have a talk show. If you want to play football, then play football

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah i'm not buying a 2nd draft.  Matthews had 4 years to show what he did in the NFL.  That tape is 100x more important than anything he did at Vandy against college players on a crap team.

Pederson doesn't know how to use Matthews?  Roseman is cool with shipping out their most reliable WR?  Nah, Matthews was a huge beneficiary of garbage time yards and catches in 2015, couldn't produce in a real system in 2016 at any position, and then they moved on in 2017.

I think it’s more about looking at the measureables and projecting (good size and speed). Plus he is a high character guy. The eagles locker room was upset when he was traded.

Also let’s not act like guys don’t get better in new situations... Hyde and Hayward are examples of this.

Plus he would be the 4th option. That means he just needs to win against 4th option defenders.

Just now, Green19 said:

Also let’s not act like guys don’t get better in new situations... Hyde and Hayward are examples of this.

yeah I like the potential for that reason.  Aaron could make anyone a verifiable No. 2.  The fact he is a living breathing starting caliber WR is not lost on me, but I just envision his role as a good slot guy rather than someone who will master the vertical and sideline routes.  He's never been good at that.

Matthews doesn't play with good size or speed, even if you think he possesses those traits.  He plays slow and shifty.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Just ask Kaepernick. Teams have enough distractions to allow that garbage. Owners have sent the message loud and clear. Being an NFL player isn't a platform any more than my job. If you want to have a talk show, then have a talk show. If you want to play football, then play football

Eagles sure did okay with all those distractions and guys using their platform...

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I just...I can't.

1 minute ago, TheBitzMan said:

Eagles sure did okay with all those distractions and guys using their platform...

The protests don't bother me. I know the Packers like a strong locker room, but I also think most of the players understand what the protest is about. It's not a protest against the flag or our country; it's a protest against excessive police violence, like the unarmed black guy that was just shot to death in his own backyard. If Reid could elevate the Packers' defense, bring him in.

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah I like the potential for that reason.  Aaron could make anyone a verifiable No. 2.  The fact he is a living breathing starting caliber WR is not lost on me, but I just envision his role as a good slot guy rather than someone who will master the vertical and sideline routes.  He's never been good at that.

Matthews doesn't play with good size or speed, even if you think he possesses those traits.  He plays slow and shifty.

giphy.gif

He's got the back shoulder footwork down, Aaron is sold.

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

This logic makes no sense to me. Our defense has had depth issues since the super bowl team, we can never have enough solid DBs. On top of that HaHa also excelled at covering the slot at Alabama and for some reason Dom just stuck him deep and left him there. Adding Reid would allow HaHa to play more in an Eric Berry type of role which is where he would be best at IMO. 

Okay, then.  Correction: Considering his cost/need ratio, we have no need for him.

If he wants to come in and be depth for 2-4 million dollars a year, excellent, but if we have even the slightest expectation of Josh Jones becoming what we thought he could be, I'm not starting Reid instead of Jones. 

It's not like I'd complain about adding a good defensive player to this roster if it didn't interfere with our ability to add talented players at bigger positions of need. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's no different than a Browns fan saying "Why are we playing Damarious Randall at FS? 99% of his snaps in GB were at CB." 

Matthews has long arms, big hands, height, strength (21 reps at 225) and speed in the 4.4's. There's absolutely no reason he should have problems playing outside. 

Player A: 6'2 217, 4.51, 31", 10'3", 4.35, 7.03

Player B: 6'3 212, 4.46, 35.5", 10'0", 4.18, 6.95

One is Jordan Matthews, the other is a #87 we just cut that played outside, but could also play in the slot. 

IMO you have to be able to separate what a players been asked to do with what his skillset says he can/can't do. The Eagles needed Matthews in the slot, the Bills are WR hell so I don't care what they did with him, nothing is there to tell me Matthews can't slide right into Jordy's role.

I was thinking about a quote Ted made a while back that I think went something like we look back at our scouting and what we thought guys who are now free agents and what we thought they could do for us, not just what they did for someone else. It seemed a tad silly to a degree but when I saw JM coming in I was thinking I bet you anything they saw him as a boundary guy. I did too. I'm not all thinking this is to be the second slot it to replace Cobb now or soon.

If it isn't, I'm fine with being wrong but I think it'll be a silly signing. Hope it works out regardless if they do it

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Okay, then.  Correction: Considering his cost/need ratio, we have no need for him.

If he wants to come in and be depth for 2-4 million dollars a year, excellent, but if we have even the slightest expectation of Josh Jones becoming what we thought he could be, I'm not starting Reid instead of Jones. 

It's not like I'd complain about adding a good defensive player to this roster if it didn't interfere with our ability to add talented players at bigger positions of need. 

That makes perfect sense, it's all about the money. My interest is basically because safeties are getting paid nothing, no way I would be interested if he wanted to be a top paid safety. 

19 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

I like Reids brother more than I like him, but I do think he is a above average safety and would be a great asset to our defense. Wonder how much his stance on the National Anthem is hurting his signing?

I think the Anthem thing isn't that big of a deal.  It really wasn't even mentioned much after Halloween in the media.  It was a hot topic that faded.  Kaepernick wasn't a very good QB before he was let go.  Not sure why anyone would be rushing to sign him.  

There isn't a big run on FA safeties in general.  Probably why there has not been much interest in Reid. Teams will put up with distractions (TO, Ochocinco) when the production is there.  He'll be on a roster when the draft dust settles if not before.  Would be good to have in GB, but I'd prefer another vet CB first.    

Archived