2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, IrishGreen said:

There is no need for Reid on this roster. Safeties just aren’t worth it in FA. 

Safeties have been the only thing "worth it" so far in FA.

Give me Mathieu for 7m or Burnett for 5 over Johnson for 15 or Butler for 12 every day of the week.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Perfect offseason for me would be:

Breeland, Gaines, DRC or trade for Darby (or some other final year corner)
Sign Matthews
Best pass rusher @14th overall
Best available CB/WR in round 2
Best available CB/WR in round 3 (whichever position we didn't draft in 2)
Best available players the rest of the draft

Yes. Same here. If I can pick the CB (because I think Gaines is basically a Brown based on what I'm hearing) it would be Breeland. Had we signed him during the 1st week of FA and there was no foot problem 99% of the population here would have been very happy. Doesn't change for me if we sign him 3 weeks later assuming the medical checks out. He'd be a big time addition to pair with the signing of Tramon.

Then add Matthews and hit the draft. 

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Safeties have been the only thing "worth it" so far in FA.

Give me Mathieu for 7m or Burnett for 5 over Johnson for 15 or Butler for 12 every day of the week.

Ehhh, I don’t like those numbers either. I just don’t place a high value on safeties. Think it’s one of the easier positions to replace in football. I’m happy with where we’re at there.

(just draft as many corners and pass rushers as possible)

Just now, IrishGreen said:

Ehhh, I don’t like those numbers either. I just don’t place a high value on safeties. Think it’s one of the easier positions to replace in football. I’m happy with where we’re at there.

(just draft as many corners and pass rushers as possible)

This was my view many years ago. They felt like the guards of to defense. Don't feel that way these days though. They're not just guys who aren't good at corner or two slow for it, etc. I think Collins taught me that lesson as much as anyone.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

This was my view many years ago. They felt like the guards of to defense. Don't feel that way these days though. They're not just guys who aren't good at corner or two slow for it, etc. I think Collins taught me that lesson as much as anyone.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer a top S, I just would rather make sure my corner situation was solid. 

I just think guys like Collins or Thomas are rare. I don’t really see many like that, so it’s like unless one is available? Eh

fair enough though 

Reid is the only safety that I'd be open to bringing in. Tyrann was obviously the other. Reid was all over the field in San Francisco and, as was pointed out earlier, HaHa can move around as well. Honestly, I'll take any improvement to the secondary at any position at this rate.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Perfect offseason for me would be:

Breeland, Gaines, DRC or trade for Darby (or some other final year corner)
Sign Matthews
Best pass rusher @14th overall
Best available CB/WR in round 2
Best available CB/WR in round 3 (whichever position we didn't draft in 2)
Best available players the rest of the draft

That's how I see it too, rusher/CB/WR are the three desperate holes. 

Get some FA help at corner and WR.

Get rusher/CB/WR in rounds 1-3.  

Then do a lot of hoping that the rookies and FA's you got work out well.  And that some returning sophomores and juniors improve a lot.  

6 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Gaines to the Browns

Yup, I live in Cleveland so they've been talking about it basically as a done deal for the last hour or so. Good move for the Brownies, but I mean, we basically knew he wasn't coming here. Down to Breeland and DRC. Just land one! 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So Hurns got about $12 million for 2 years. Frankly, I thought he'd cost more than that given what WRs have been getting thus far in FA. 

I would imagine Matthews's deal, wherever he signs, will be something similar, maybe a little less based on his recent injuries.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So Hurns got about $12 million for 2 years. Frankly, I thought he'd cost more than that given what WRs have been getting thus far in FA. 

Did the jags all of a sudden become this  well stocked offensive juggernaut That they're letting all their offensive weapons walk out the door? What am I missing here?

Archived