2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Gute probably knew he wasn't going to fill all the holes in one draft. He double dipped at CB to ensure our biggest need was 'fixed'. That and the board told the story. Injuries are the wild card but CM3 in a contract year, the hope Perry can stay healthy, Biegel and Gilbert should get us through 1 more year. The same can be said for TE albeit a bit thin. Jahari is our safety net and Campen the OL guru. Unlike TT, I think Gute is going to be active at cut down time and like Wolf, will be constantly bringing people in looking to upgrade. That's what he said anyway

WR is the biggest risk he is taking but we have an All Pro and maybe a veteran ready to bounce back after a playbook revamp and TE threat was added. There are teams doing fine with lesser talent and a lesser QB. Who knows, maybe Philbin will convince MM to call a running play or two as well

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Gute probably knew he wasn't going to fill all the holes in one draft. He double dipped at CB to ensure our biggest need was 'fixed'. That and the board told the story. Injuries are the wild card but CM3 in a contract year, the hope Perry can stay healthy, Biegel and Gilbert should get us through 1 more year. The same can be said for TE albeit a bit thin. Jahari is our safety net and Campen the OL guru. Unlike TT, I think Gute is going to be active at cut down time and like Wolf, will be constantly bringing people in looking to upgrade. That's what he said anyway

WR is the biggest risk he is taking but we have an All Pro and maybe a veteran ready to bounce back after a playbook revamp and TE threat was added. There are teams doing fine with lesser talent and a lesser QB. Who knows, maybe Philbin will convince MM to call a running play or two as well

We better hope Biegel and Gilbert step up, if and when Matthews and Perry take their annual mid-season injury vacation.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

We better hope Biegel and Gilbert step up, if and when Matthews and Perry take their annual mid-season injury vacation.

Fans forget quickly that Gute had a hand in drafting Biegel for a reason. He is going to have confidence in that pick. At this point, how can you argue with him. 

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Fans forget quickly that Gute had a hand in drafting Biegel for a reason. He is going to have confidence in that pick. At this point, how can you argue with him. 

Who’s arguing?  Stating the fact that we’re super thin, especially if and when Perry and Matthews miss time this season isn’t a lack of confidence in Gute - it’s a scary freaking reality!

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Who’s arguing?  Stating the fact that we’re super thin, especially if and when Perry and Matthews miss time this season isn’t a lack of confidence in Gute - it’s a scary freaking reality!

I'm not arguing that you're not arguing about arguing, arguably speaking

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

to the bold above...I think he needs to make sure that Rodgers sticks with running plays and quits changing the play at the line.  

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

Lot of faith to put in a 4th round draft pick who was never even the best edge rusher on his own team in college. It would be one thing if Biegel was a first round pick who was hurt last year. 

Here's the main reason why I have to believe GB is going to add a veteran WR: 

GB cut Jordy Nelson when they could have easily paid him $3-4 million to stay another year. Why? Can't be about money because we can easily accommodate a $3-4 million contract. There is only one logical answer -- to upgrade him with another WR (who isn't a Day 3 draft pick or any draft pick for that matter). 

Think about it this way -- we just drafted 3 very talented albeit raw WRs in the draft. Jordy on a small, one-year deal would have been the perfect WR to have on the team while these young guys develop for a year. So again, why did we cut him, instead of letting him take the smaller deal? The move itself is a complete disaster unless Gute signs another WR. There is simply no good explanation for it. That's why I believe GB will be in the hunt for Dez, who like Jordy is the perfect 1-year stop-gap veteran needed on this team for 2018, which will allow these young guys to develop for later in the year and more so 2019 and beyond. Dez is also an upgrade over a 32-year old Jordy. If they don't land him, I have to believe another WR is still on his way to us. Otherwise, the Jordy situation ranks as a completely botched failure by Gute early in his term as GM. 

15 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/990367205996007424

According to Ryan Wood, Gute and MM have all but said they’re not planning any changes to address edge this season.  We’ll see I guess.

If the quote that he's referring to is the one that I think he is, that wasn't the message that I got out of it. Going back though the notes I took of the press conference, the paraphrase I have is:

'on pass rush:
“these guys are rookies. our biggest gains are always with the 2nd, 3rd year guys”'

My takeaway wasn't 'we aren't going to add any more to the pass rush', it was 'we expect our biggest offseason gains to come through development, not draft acquisitions'

9 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

If the quote that he's referring to is the one that I think he is, that wasn't the message that I got out of it. Going back though the notes I took of the press conference, the paraphrase I have is:

'on pass rush:
“these guys are rookies. our biggest gains are always with the 2nd, 3rd year guys”'

My takeaway wasn't 'we aren't going to add any more to the pass rush', it was 'we expect our biggest offseason gains to come through development, not draft acquisitions'

You take notes on press conferences?

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Lot of faith to put in a 4th round draft pick who was never even the best edge rusher on his own team in college. It would be one thing if Biegel was a first round pick who was hurt last year. 

I beg to differ on this. Biegel was better and more consistent at Wisconsin than Watt outside of 2016. In that year Biegel was constantly doubled teamed, leaving Watt one on one and he made the most of it with some flash plays. Watt tested elite athletically and has the name but he was not a better player than Biegel at Wisconsin. He was a projection pick based on his athletic traits. 

Biegel played solid in the few games he actually played. If he can stay healthy he is solid depth at the position. 

Archived