2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

I think there was some misconception on what Gute said. The aggressive part is scouts putting together reports, having meetings, and being ready to pull the trigger. My takeaway is that we weren't ready to pull the trigger (fast enough ?) in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if we were still careful throwing money around. We have to let it play all the way through. It seems like it's always the same teams being loose with money and their records don't reflect great results. And yes, I will be pissed if we don't make a significant signing

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I think there was some misconception on what Gute said. The aggressive part is scouts putting together reports, having meetings, and being ready to pull the trigger. My takeaway is that we weren't ready to pull the trigger (fast enough ?) in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if we were still careful throwing money around. We have to let it play all the way through. It seems like it's always the same teams being loose with money and their records don't reflect great results.

The question he responded the aggressive comment about was a question about FA not the draft. Had nothing to do with scouting. Also I'm not sure how you "don't pull the trigger" fast enough as a scout unless you're the Vikings lol.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The question he responded the aggressive comment about was a question about FA not the draft. Had nothing to do with scouting. Also I'm not sure how you "don't pull the trigger" fast enough as a scout unless you're the Vikings lol.

The reports and meetings are for FA. He has also mentioned being ready to pull the trigger a million times. I've watched everything he has said multiple times and my takeaway is that we were reactionary and not proactive in the past with regard to preparation for FA

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  Dolphins sending a "mid round pick" for Quinn.  I told you.  I told everyone.  Literally nothing is going to change. 

Ted is still the GM and this is all a PR cover.

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah of course.  Carlos Hyde is a top 10 runner in the NFL.  Gore is just washed up and done.

All that said though... If Jones or Williams goes down then we have the other.  If both go down... well, no team is really 3 deep at RB.  Usually that 3rd spot is a different style runner and you need to bring in someone off the practice squad or off the street.

I'd like Hyde because I think he's a good player and you can't have enough good players.  But it's not the best use of our funds because we have Jones who is also a good player and Williams who is a serviceable player.

Fair!

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Mays, homie. Rip is a head-knocking FB, he does that job well, but he hasn't carried the ball much all the way back through college. Mays did have an atrocious first game but he sure wasn't known for fumbling in college.  I think to really be in trouble at RB both Williams AND Jones would have to get hurt. I'm good with adding a couple late round-UDFA at RB and rolling into the season with whatever wins camp. If we get in trouble midseason we can probably sign Gore then.

Fair as well!

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Quinn has had one elite year that has overstated his value. He is a solid player no doubt, but to me the opportunity cost of adding Quinn at $11M is too great. Keep in mind those 8.5 sacks last year came next to the best defensive player in the game. I would say he has been underwhelming and/or hurt since his 19 sack season. 

Keep in mind the Rams switched to a 3-4 defense last season. Now he's going back to playing DE in a 4-3 defense again. 

I get the feeling it is another status quo offseason. It is too bad because we aren't losing anyone, so from a comp pic perspective, it would be nice to do something.

My initial takes;

-Burnett is probably gone. unless we get him for the right price. He'll be 30, had some injuries, expensive. Plush we have Rollins and a few other guys behind him that could stepup.

-I feel like Cobb and Nelson will both stay and not take a paycut. I mean, with AR they can both still play. There is a connection there. I'd feel bad asking Nelson to take a paycut after he was underpaid for like the first 2/3rds of his career. Then there is the, if you want FAs to want to come here, you don't want to have the Redskins rep and cut people 2 years into a deal. Good for locker room culture

On 2/15/2018 at 9:03 AM, Shanedorf said:

As far as  FA's, the list of available players is kinda thin, but more will be coming soon. Unfortunately,  the amount of cap chasing them is immense

So GB might have to look at guys currently under contract who could be pried loose for a draft pick. The Rams are deep in talks to sign Aaron Donald and they  already have an immense amount invested in their front 7 before they ink Donald. ( per OTC positional spending)

There might be an opportunity to pry loose a guy like Robert Quinn and bring him to GB. I think he'd fit as the 3rd OLB and interior rusher in the pressure package, especially since Pettine says he advocates utilizing a multiple front ( 3-4 / 4-3)

Quinn's current cap hit is about $11M-12M year and he's signed through 2019. IF the Packers feel they can't get the EDGE they want at 14, perhaps trading for a vet is an option. Rams are currently without a 2nd rounder, they shipped that to Beefalo for Sammy Watkins ( who is a FA and will eat some Rams cap space too)

https://overthecap.com/player/robert-quinn/1343/

From February 15th, page 10 of this thread

Nostradumbass

5 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Miami fans seem mad they got him lol

12.25/year for a guy who has averaged 6 sacks the past three seasons and is going into years 8 and 9 in the NFL.

There better be nobody bitching about Nick Perry's contract, who is mad that we didn't trade for Robert Quinn. 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

12.25/year for a guy who has averaged 6 sacks the past three seasons and is going into years 8 and 9 in the NFL.

There better be nobody bitching about Nick Perry's contract, who is mad that we didn't trade for Robert Quinn. 

But TRADEZZZ are how you win.

I wouldn't have been mad if we got him, but I pretty much yawned at that trade. Isn't it kinda like trading for Matthews on his contract? More or less?

Archived