2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

5 hours ago, St Vince said:

Ealy is an enigma to me. The Pats traded a high draft pick for him then quickly cut him. He's been bouncing team to team ever since. He's young, healthy, and like you said has the physical tools. Would love to have been a fly on the wall when he was being released by all these teams.

In fairness, the Patriots only moved down 8 spots to get him... they traded pick #64 to the Panthers and got Ealy and pick #72 in return. As one article read, he went from Super Bowl MVP  candidate to no one wants to keep him around long. The guy gets some pressure... I wonder if he has an attitude or unwilling/able to play the run or something? I don't know what it is.

I just want to throw a wild idea out there.

First Fackrell, I'd like to point out, that Fackrell played the 8th most snaps on 2017 Packers. Probably because he was one of 6 guys to play at least 45% of the ST snaps... what about the other 5 guys? They're no long on the Packers 53 man... and Fackrell played the most with 83.5% of ST snaps. And there were only three people above 50%. So outside of Crosby, Fackrell seems like a strong possibility for ST caption. Now back to the wild idea...

Could the Packers be planning on playing more 4 man front looks with 3 DL?

1. It's been rumored through out training camp than Pettine has been doing it, but we haven't really seen it much in preseason games
  2. Look at the roster numbers, SO FEW EDGE OLBers and SO MANY tradition LB at ILBers... the rosters numbers has closer to that of a normal 4-3 than 3-4
  3. The OLB depth chart doesn't make sense, there is only 4 (two injury prone and one doesn't hold the edge well) (skipped #4 for space for reading the longer #5)
  5. Gute, when talking about edge, told the media (paraphrasing) as you can see we added two OLBers to the PS to add depth there to only the 4 on the 53... except the on the PS is only OLB Donnerson. The two other closest options are ILB Martini and DE Looney. I thought he meant two LBers (simple mistake) but as someone pointed out, Looney fits that that context better because he can play DL Edge, which we haven't seen of thought of from Martini.

There just seems to be too many roster oddities, for this to be a traditional 3-4... the roster seems to make more sense from a 4-3 perceptive (and more as a hybrid)  

• DE: Perry, Gilbert
  • DT: Daniels, Adams
  • NT: Clark
  • DE: Wilkerson, Lowry
  • OLB: Burks, Toomer, Crawford (coverage OLB role)
  • MLB: Martinez, Morrison
  • OLB: Matthews, Fackell (blitzing OLB role)

But basically instead of Fackrell picking up the edge responsibilities when Matthews needs a rest, having the DE of Wilkerson/Lowry doing it... and using Fackrell's coverage ability some... and from this they can go back and forth from a 3-4 and 4-3. 

41 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

i've never heard this from you before. Interesting point.

I mean, that's not really an insane take to make either.  I mean, you go down the board and look at the picks that made the roster and the ones that didn't.  Generally speaking, your Day 1 and 2 picks should see the through their entire rookie contract, while your Day 3 picks likely gets 1-2 year to show they're worth keeping around.  Most teams aren't cutting bait with former top 96 picks.  You thought highly enough of them to select them, you're not going to give up on them after 1 or 2 years.  I mean, look at the picks the Packers didn't keep from this year.  They cut Kevin Looney, and the Packers DL is already pretty deep.  The Packers also released Kendall Donnerson, but they carried significantly less backs than they had in past years.  Even if you look at the 2017 class, they're getting generally a few years to prove their worth.  DeAngelo Yancey didn't make the roster because of the numbers crunch.  You could probably argue that Kofi Amichia would fall in that boat too, but I'd argue he was closer to Donnerson in that he was too raw to contribute.  Dupre falls in the same boat as Yancey.  The only player I'd argue that the Packers have released in the last two years that wasn't in a roster crunch OR was too raw was Vince Biegel.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, that's not really an insane take to make either.  I mean, you go down the board and look at the picks that made the roster and the ones that didn't.  Generally speaking, your Day 1 and 2 picks should see the through their entire rookie contract, while your Day 3 picks likely gets 1-2 year to show they're worth keeping around.  Most teams aren't cutting bait with former top 96 picks.  You thought highly enough of them to select them, you're not going to give up on them after 1 or 2 years.  I mean, look at the picks the Packers didn't keep from this year.  They cut Kevin Looney, and the Packers DL is already pretty deep.  The Packers also released Kendall Donnerson, but they carried significantly less backs than they had in past years.  Even if you look at the 2017 class, they're getting generally a few years to prove their worth.  DeAngelo Yancey didn't make the roster because of the numbers crunch.  You could probably argue that Kofi Amichia would fall in that boat too, but I'd argue he was closer to Donnerson in that he was too raw to contribute.  Dupre falls in the same boat as Yancey.  The only player I'd argue that the Packers have released in the last two years that wasn't in a roster crunch OR was too raw was Vince Biegel.

Image result for but gif

One could argue that they cut bait with Rollins.  If the team were interested in keeping him he could have made the 53 over Waters and then be put on IR, so that he could return.  Currently, he is listed as on IR, but we all expect an injury settlement and release.  Probably the same deal with Mays.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

One could argue that they cut bait with Rollins.  If the team were interested in keeping him he could have made the 53 over Waters and then be put on IR, so that he could return.  Currently, he is listed as on IR, but we all expect an injury settlement and release.  Probably the same deal with Mays.

I mean, even if you wanted to go by that logic he still survived 3 years.  You simply don't cut bait with your players.  It's not like you're saving any money by releasing them, because if you release them you have to replace them.  

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, even if you wanted to go by that logic he still survived 3 years.  You simply don't cut bait with your players.  It's not like you're saving any money by releasing them, because if you release them you have to replace them.  

I absolutely agree.  If Rollins had been a better player, I don't think he is in the position he is in, is all I was getting at.  Neither he, nor Biegel, were good enough.  And technically, they haven't jettisoned Rollins, yet.  Is this his contract year, or does he have one more season?

I am a bit surprised that they didn't give it one more year with Kofi as well.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I absolutely agree.  If Rollins had been a better player, I don't think he is in the position he is in, is all I was getting at.  Neither he, nor Biegel, were good enough.  And technically, they haven't jettisoned Rollins, yet.  Is this his contract year, or does he have one more season?

This is his contract year.  And which player that we released should the Packers have kept instead of Rollins last year?  Our CB group was already exposed as is.

48 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Didn't he get cut?

Not certain, but I think Rollins went from the 90 directly to IR , without first making the 53 ( unlike Kumerow). Which as noted above means he can't come back to GB as a "designated return"  The Packers will reach an injury settlement with Rollins, and that gives hims some cash and medical care instead of a pure cut where he gets nothing. Then Rollins can pursue work elsewhere.
IF he doesn't find any suitable suitors, I believe he can come back to GB ( his original team) after a certain number of weeks have elapsed, which is fewer weeks than if he goes to another team.  So the Packers did him a small favor on the cash and medical side, we'll see what happens next for Quentin Rollins NFL career.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

IF he doesn't find any suitable suitors, I believe he can come back to GB ( his original team) after a certain number of weeks have elapsed, which is fewer weeks than if he goes to another team.

It's the other way around. X weeks to become a FA (X is negotiated in the settlement, based on the injury in question) and then 3 more before he can sign with the Packers. So if a hammy is 4 weeks, he can sign with any team after week 4 and with the Packers after week 7.

Know it’s been talked about before... but with teammates coming out against Bell (extremely weird) I’m guessing the clock is ticking on his days in a Steelers uniform.

Given that he will have to sign for a big deal... what would/should he be worth to GB if Gute wanted to trade for him?

understanding that the chance is less then 0 GB does. But just think it’s interesting with how quick his teammates turned on him.

Archived