2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

13 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I'd want more than a game ticket or two if I was staring down $250,000 in fines and a 10 year prison sentence

And thats probably prudent and wise - but you see, for the (limited) comedic effect I was trying to make - I needed to "trivialize" the last point. Make it small (like buying lunch) as opposed to "and giving the Doctor a huge luxury yacht". That wouldnt have played right.

Interesting CB Targets for me based on value and upside

1) Bashaud Breeland.  This guy is my #1 upside guy.  He has all the tools and would be a good complement to King

2) Patrick Robinson.  Good slot corner which is something we need.  Might get overpaid as an eagle, but equal chance he's a value since the position is top heavy

3) Delvin Breaux.  Available via trade or restricted free agency since NO hates him but he'll probably be tendered.  M2M press corner with real skills.  Would be top if he were an UFA.

4) Morris Claiborne.  Passable to decent No. 2 Corner.  Not exceptional in any way, but he's been more than just ok since his last dallas year.

5) EJ Gaines.  Fine No. 2 corner.

6) Malcom Butler.  Down here because he will be too highly paid.

7) Davon House.  Run it back with a mediocre 2nd corner.

Riskier one-two year propositions that could buy us time:

Brent Grimes

Jonathan Joseph

Unlikely, but would certainly help for 1-2 years:

Trumaine Johnson (he is older than I'd like and he is not fast so he will fall off hard).  He is gonna get big time money because he would help any team.  Not sure that's where we want to be with our cap spending.

Richard Sherman... needs to be a perfect scheme fit at this point in his career.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Come on lol, sports leagues are not going to be investigated for HIPAA violations.

It's not the league that would be liable, it's the doctor. I work at a hospital, and we do deal with professional athletes. It would be taken very seriously if we were leaking their protected information, especially if it's in a way that could be used against them. HIPAA also allows for civil remedies. You think Sherman isn't going down that road if his doctor is giving out PHI that could potentially lose him millions of dollars?

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

It's not the league that would be liable, it's the doctor. I work at a hospital, and we do deal with professional athletes. It would be taken very seriously if we were leaking their protected information, especially if it's in a way that could be used against them. HIPAA also allows for civil remedies. You think Sherman isn't going down that road if his doctor is giving out PHI that could potentially lose him millions of dollars?

Exactly.  Sherman would have to give permission for info to be "released".

The violation fine, medical license penalty infraction and civil lawsuit makes it a bad idea to break HIPPA laws.

Somebody posted in the Randall thread that Packers are going to try to sign Trumaine Johnson.  I don't see that happening, but it should be discussed here.  We have 20 million dollars in cap space according to this article:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/09/sizing-up-packers-salary-cap-space-entering-free-agency/410810002/

We are not cutting Randall Cobb, and if we do I will get even more mad.  Trading him is fine.  If you can't trade him, keep him because making us worse at another spot without getting better makes about as much sense as horse**** in a garage.  The only other cut/trade candidates are Clinton-Dix and Matthews.  Matthews is untouchable to me based on who he is as a person and what he provides for Pettine in versatility.  Nelson is another candidate, but he's not a trade candidate since nobody would want him, so restructure him or keep him, too. 

Only other one is Bulaga.  We have better luck of Favre leading us to another Super Bowl than we have of trading a 300 pound player coming off that injury, so he's not getting traded. 

13 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Interesting CB Targets for me based on value and upside

1) Bashaud Breeland.  This guy is my #1 upside guy.  He has all the tools and would be a good complement to King

2) Patrick Robinson.  Good slot corner which is something we need.  Might get overpaid as an eagle, but equal chance he's a value since the position is top heavy

3) Delvin Breaux.  Available via trade or restricted free agency since NO hates him but he'll probably be tendered.  M2M press corner with real skills.  Would be top if he were an UFA.

4) Morris Claiborne.  Passable to decent No. 2 Corner.  Not exceptional in any way, but he's been more than just ok since his last dallas year.

5) EJ Gaines.  Fine No. 2 corner.

6) Malcom Butler.  Down here because he will be too highly paid.

7) Davon House.  Run it back with a mediocre 2nd corner.

Riskier one-two year propositions that could buy us time:

Brent Grimes

Jonathan Joseph

Unlikely, but would certainly help for 1-2 years:

Trumaine Johnson (he is older than I'd like and he is not fast so he will fall off hard).  He is gonna get big time money because he would help any team.  Not sure that's where we want to be with our cap spending.

Richard Sherman... needs to be a perfect scheme fit at this point in his career.

Big no to Grimes.

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The violation fine, medical license penalty infraction and civil lawsuit makes it a bad idea to break HIPPA laws.

But you don't have to break any laws. Any and every team that is going to consider him is gonna have their MD check him out, including talking to the MDs who did the surgery and looking at the before/after scans.  Sherman would simply sign a release granting that authority to the interested teams.

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:
36 minutes ago, squire12 said:

But you don't have to break any laws. Any and every team that is going to consider him is gonna have their MD check him out, including talking to the MDs who did the surgery and looking at the before/after scans.  Sherman would simply sign a release granting that authority to the interested teams

Your last sentence and my first sentence are saying the same thing.  So you must agree with the process needed to avoid violations by the MD.

Archived