Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d love to see an analysis of Cousins’ deep passes he tried every game from 2015-2017. It seems to me he generally had a handful a game that traveled over 15 yards or near 20 yards most games.

"Gee, Woz, why don't you go pull all of the data from three seasons of games to answer a question that I could do myself?"

*BIG eyeroll*

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So again, we’re literally complaining about Alex not throwing one more deep pass a half - at most - and maybe I’m wrong, but unless you’re analyzing the coverage and if it’s even possible to hit an open Wr 20 yards downfield the entire point seems irrelevant to me. I don’t want my QB throwing the ball 20 yards downfield too many times if there’s a safety in place to make a play on the ball and there’s also a corner in the area because it could get picked off.

It's not that they aren't hitting those passes. It's they aren't trying in the second half. For all your talk about the fact that Smith and the passing game need still haven't gotten on the same page (*), it's kind of hard to do that when you don't even try.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Alex and the passing game are still getting on the same page. Yeah, they haven’t lit the world on fire, but he’s going to be here for the next 2.5 years. 

(*) Side question: given that Smith and the pass catchers all went through OTAs, minicamps, training camp, two preseason games, and now more than a quarter of the regular season, when can we expect them to be on the same page?

12 minutes ago, Woz said:

@turtle28 if you scan through that entire thread of Hoffman's, you'll see it cuts out around halftime.

Yeah, I realized. That’s when we went into “protect the lead mode.” That is not a QB decision, that’s a coaching decision. We basically ran the clock out almost all of the second half. I don’t like it when coaches do that either but I think more often than not, running the clock out when you have a lead in the second half leads to victories. Taking chances when you have a lead in the second half can lead to mistakes and a loss - even if your up by two scores - like Kyle Shanahan and Matt Ryan had in the Super Bowl vs the Patriots.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

"Gee, Woz, why don't you go pull all of the data from three seasons of games to answer a question that I could do myself?"

*BIG eyeroll*

It's not that they aren't hitting those passes. It's they aren't trying in the second half. For all your talk about the fact that Smith and the passing game need still haven't gotten on the same page (*), it's kind of hard to do that when you don't even try.

(*) Side question: given that Smith and the pass catchers all went through OTAs, minicamps, training camp, two preseason games, and now more than a quarter of the regular season, when can we expect them to be on the same page?

If a rookie QB is supposed to be ready after sitting a month, I fully expect a veteran like Alex smith to be ready too. 

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

*BIG eyeroll*

(*) Side question: given that Smith and the pass catchers all went through OTAs, minicamps, training camp, two preseason games, and now more than a quarter of the regular season, when can we expect them to be on the same page?/

And since we're still comparing it to Cousins, how is it they are all on the same page and we're not?

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I realized. That’s when we went into “protect the lead mode.” That is not a QB decision, that’s a coaching decision. We basically ran the clock out almost all of the second half. I don’t like it when coaches do that either but I think more often than not, running the clock out when you have a lead in the second half leads to victories. Taking chances when you have a lead in the second half can lead to mistakes and a loss - even if your up by two scores - like Kyle Shanahan and Matt Ryan had in the Super Bowl vs the Patriots.

Yes and no. All they had to do was not snap the ball with 10 secs left on playclock like they did and the Pats run out of time and dont have time to score that last TD

I coach my sons 6-7 year old flag team. Were supposed to practice 2 nights a week. We’ve only gotten one a week because of weather, and games Sunday morning. Half of the practice time thier looking in the parking lot to see if my wife is bringing munchkins. 

They can run 10 different plays in their sleep. If the Washington freakin Redskins can’t get on the same page by now there’s definitely a problem with the coach. By the way if there interested I think I’m ready for the jump lol.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, again, Cousins isn’t coming back so what he’s doing now is irrelevant to the Redskins.

Alex and the passing game are still getting on the same page. Yeah, they haven’t lit the world on fire, but he’s going to be here for the next 2.5 years. 

I for one, am hoping that he, Reed and the WRs get in sync over the next month and have a better second half of the year than they’ve had the first 5 games of the year.

I’m more pleased that the team is 3-2 at this point in the season because I thought we’d be 2-3 right now and we’ve done that despite our passing game just being mediocre as we break in a new starting WR and a new starting QB.

If you really want to talk about Cousins so much, go to the Vikings forum. The last thing I’ll say about it is that Cousins is throwing to two pro bowl caliber WRs - even better WRs than when he had Djax & Garçon here - they are a reason why he’s doing well also. You can’t ignore the difference in talent between Doctson/Richardson vs Diggs/Theilen. 

Also, I’ll add that Alex didn’t have Doctson vs the Saints and vs the Panthers we didn’t have Crowder or CT and he still threw two TDs and we won.

Again, I’ll continue to be happy for the W. I’m ready to move on to Dallas and I’m hopeful the passing offense gets more in sync over the next month so they can have a good second half of the season.

LSU, Texas, OSU, Oklahoma, Minnesota, USC and a slew of others are starting new qbs with non-pro level talent and the teams are meshing just fine on offense.

"Still getting on the same page" nonsense is garbage. Theyre pros.  They get triple the time working together than college players do, plus they get a preseason and arnt limited to 20 hours a week of practice.

So long as its ok for you to bring up "Has Been" players like Hall and even make threads on them. Why cant I bring up Cousins? Because so long as hes proving how poorly this offense is being coached by his improvement meshed with Alex's decline. Hes more relevant than any of the "Has Beens" and "Nobodies" you keep tossing tweets up constantly from.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

If a rookie QB is supposed to be ready after sitting a month, I fully expect a veteran like Alex smith to be ready too. 

Alex hasn’t been awful, he’s just been mediocre in every game but 2 and in those 2 games, he was good.

11 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

LSU, Texas, OSU, Oklahoma, Minnesota, USC and a slew of others are starting new qbs with non-pro level talent and the teams are meshing just fine on offense.

"Still getting on the same page" nonsense is garbage. Theyre pros.  They get triple the time working together than college players do, plus they get a preseason and arnt limited to 20 hours a week of practice.

So long as its ok for you to bring up "Has Been" players like Hall and even make threads on them. Why cant I bring up Cousins? Because so long as hes proving how poorly this offense is being coached by his improvement meshed with Alex's decline. Hes more relevant than any of the "Has Beens" and "Nobodies" you keep tossing tweets up constantly from.

You’re comparing college to the pros? ? ok guy

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

I coach my sons 6-7 year old flag team. Were supposed to practice 2 nights a week. We’ve only gotten one a week because of weather, and games Sunday morning. Half of the practice time thier looking in the parking lot to see if my wife is bringing munchkins. 

They can run 10 different plays in their sleep. If the Washington freakin Redskins can’t get on the same page by now there’s definitely a problem with the coach. By the way if there interested I think I’m ready for the jump lol.

Flag football... not sure if serious...

Maybe you all should pay attention to the interior OL play & AD’s blocking and see how much they’ve struggled to handle stunts and A gap blitzes the last two weeks, maybe if you paid attention to that and not just stats you’d see why the QB has only been mediocre and not good to great.

Roullier has really struggled in pass pro at LG, even worse than Lauvao. 

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Mines in a 8-10 league or something like that. Hes LT. They practice twice a week, but most weeks it ends up being once too. Past couple hurricanes have messed things up pretty good for them in that regard. 5 games, a dozen practices. The running plays these kids run are crazy after only little time. Hes pulling all the way around center to hit the gap and attack that 2nd level and such. And he knew nothing about football going into it. With taking the first couple weeks to figure out who plays what position best.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re comparing college to the pros? ? ok guy

LSU had the worst offense in the world for years. A nobody backup strolls in with a NEW OC, freshmen wideouts and theyre meshing well enough to be top 10.

Yet a qb with a dozen years of experience needs more time to click with his wideouts.

Theres not a more lame excuse you could use.

6 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

LSU had the worst offense in the world for years. A nobody backup strolls in with a NEW OC, freshmen wideouts and theyre meshing well enough to be top 10.

Yet a qb with a dozen years of experience needs more time to click with his wideouts.

Theres not a more lame excuse you could use.

Again, big difference between the NFL and the SEC.

Why don’t we implant the LSU QB into the NFL and see how he does?

Its not an excuse, watch the games. Watch the protection break down and Alex run for his life, watch the tight coverage on our WRs unlike in college. It’s a horrible comparison. It doesn’t pass the smell test.

Comparing a rookie QB or Mahomes to what Alex is doing, now that is more applicable.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Again, big difference between the NFL and the SEC.

Why don’t we implant the LSU QB into the NFL and see how he does?

Its not an excuse, watch the games. Watch the protection break down and Alex run for his life, watch the tight coverage on our WRs unlike in college. It’s a horrible comparison. It doesn’t pass the smell test.

Comparing a rookie QB or Mahomes to what Alex is doing, now that is more applicable.

If you check down all game in the SEC you’ll lose too

Archived