BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

The 3up is used year round, it's going to be used until the next FA period (aka 10 months-ish from now)  so it would be kind of stupid to say you can't use the 75% until june/july of next year.

It covers both the 2018 season and 2019 off-season hence why it should be used for 2018.

The 3 up period was already opened when this passed.  Again, this explanation does not address why this particular rule has a different implentation than all previous rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

The 3 up period was already opened when this passed.  Again, this explanation does not address why this particular rule has a different implentation than all previous rules.

Simple question, do you wanna wait until july of 2019 to get the 75% discount? That's what happens if we wait a year on that rule. 

5 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Simple question, do you wanna wait until july of 2019 to get the 75% discount? That's what happens if we wait a year on that rule. 

Its not about want.  Its about how this goes against how we have enacted every other rule we vote on.  

If this was going to be any different, that should have been included.  It wasnt.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Its not about want.  Its about how this goes against how we have enacted every other rule we vote on.  

If this was going to be any different, that should have been included.  It wasnt.

But it doesn't, the 3up he's using covers the 2019 off-season so thus it takes affect in 2019. It's just the nature of the 3up that you can use it in 2018. 

If the ruling committee wants to change it, they have the power to do so.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

We have always waited, I want to know what makes this different.  Easy answer, there is nothing different.  I've already stated it helps me to have 75 this year, so if that's what people are good with, so am I.  But that opens up the precedent of not waiting til the following year on approved rules.  Soooooo.....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

But it doesn't, the 3up he's using covers the 2019 off-season so thus it takes affect in 2019. It's just the nature of the 3up that you can use it in 2018. 

If the ruling committee wants to change it, they have the power to do so.

The number in front of the 3Up is irrelevant.  We always wait a year from the time of approval to put these into effect.  That's not happening here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The number in front of the 3Up is irrelevant.  We always wait a year from the time of approval to put these into effect.  That's not happening here.

Fair enough, bring on the consequences.

Edited by SwoleXmad
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, Jlash said:

Exactly what I was going to point out SirA. I’ve been burned by this with Bitonio and with Michael Bennett years ago. You get penalized for waiting until the offseason.

The other solution to this which would make those voicing their lament against using 2019 rules with 2019 resources is to have the Ruling Committee repeal this antiquated rule that isn't doing anyone any good and is the only reparations we ever require being paid. 

If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 85% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $8,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,800 per year for 5 years. 

This is such a limited use rule because it effects only a handful of players each year.  

25 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

The other solution to this which would make those voicing their lament against using 2019 rules with 2019 resources is to have the Ruling Committee repeal this antiquated rule that isn't doing anyone any good and is the only reparations we ever require being paid. 

The most obvious solution is that this new rule goes into effect one calendar year after adoption like every other rule we adopt, so your Hunter deal would have to be at 85%.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Or we just get rid of year long three ups and just put them after the season like it used to to be ... 

I'm fine with this as well because it would also invalidate the pheltz rule.

• Like 1