BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

6 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I love the grading system but let’s not start dramatically overrating players that are in good situations and equally underrating people who have limited talent around them.

Take it for what it is.

I've already stated that players with injuries or lack of playing time will be graded lower than you'd expect them to be.  I've also stated that this is strictly a statistically based grading system.  I don't think any grading system can effectively account for how well or poor their situation is around them, its basically a circular reference.  Simply too many variables to account for in attempting to do something like that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I love the grading system but let’s not start dramatically overrating players that are in good situations and equally underrating people who have limited talent around them.

So the Browns corners are in good situations? That's really cool 

7 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Take it for what it is.

I've already stated that players with injuries or lack of playing time will be graded lower than you'd expect them to be.  I've also stated that this is strictly a statistically based grading system.  I don't think any grading system can effectively account for how well or poor their situation is around them, its basically a circular reference.  Simply too many variables to account for in attempting to do something like that.

Technically metrics are useful for showing guys whom are unappreciated. I’ve used it on occasion for guys like Michael Bennett and Chris Harris whom we’re significantly underrated a while ago. When I told them people said I was crazy, lol.

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

So the Browns corners are in good situations? That's really cool 

Not just the corners, but safety as well.  Bradley McDougald is the top rated safety currently, also a fan of Jamal Adams at SS.  

Myself and @Ragnarok will update the stats each week (either Tues or Wed).  If nothing else it will provide another ranking system outside of PFF.  It'll take a few days to get this ranking system tied to the BDL Player Database, but once done it should work pretty well.  We'll be able to provide some stat based team rankings and positional grades.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Technically metrics are useful for showing guys whom are unappreciated. I’ve used it on occasion for guys like Michael Bennett and Chris Harris whom we’re significantly underrated a while ago. When I told them people said I was crazy, lol.

So since you're apparently the OG of nfl metrics,who aside from players on your own team could you apply this to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

So since you're apparently the OG of nfl metrics,who aside from players on your own team could you apply this to?

Connor McGovern is one example of someone I really liked. Then there’s guys like Robbie Anderson and Jamison Crowder (he’s not as good this year) whom have been rock solid. 

Filling in for Ted

Week 6 Power Rankings:

1 - OKC EF5s - (5-0) 

A seriously impressive start for the year from a team that many would've thought was building for the future after drawing their franchise QB at no.3 this year. Instead, arguably the best coached franchise keeps putting together wins and in short time has taken out 3 heavyweights in Seoul, Louisiana and Orlando to cement themselves as bizzbowl front-runners. A divisional match-up against Long Beach awaits this week and a win at home would make it extremely unlikely that OKC miss the playoffs. 

2 - Rome Eternals - (4-1) 

After a tough loss to Singapore in the first week of the season, it's been smooth sailing for Rome who's admittedly had a light schedule since. Alas, you can only beat what's in front of you and with Drew Brees looking as good as ever and a strong group of weapons supporting him, Rome should keep the ball rolling. Ivory Coast up next and it's ferocious D however will prove Rome's toughest test yet this season. 

3 - Orlando Ospreys - (4-1)

While the start of the year has been controversial for Orlando off the field with a number of highly questionable personnel moves, the on field product has been consistently strong. It seems as though years of questionable commitment to winning is paying off as a talented young core full of depth is putting up a fight in every match and has been able to scrape out some tough ones too. After OKC comes another huge test however with Gotham on the road never an easy task.

4 - Louisiana Jazz - (3-1-1)

Coming out of one of the tougher schedules to start the year at 3-1-1 isn't too bad for a Jazz team which seems to lack the aura of invincibility it had last year. With only 3 teams boasting a winning record in its remaining 9 matches, things are looking up although crippling OL injuries may yet again come to bite the Jazz. With two of it's top three tackles out, and another questionable what should be a routine matchup against Wichita may end up being a trap.

5 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - (2-3)

The first team with a losing record to feature is the Black Rhinos who boast the league's most destructive edge duo and quite possibly the best OL in the league at this point in time. Alshon Jeffrey's return has been huge and finally adds another factor to an offense that will now be good enough to win the games its defense keeps it in. Next up is Rome in what figures to be a highly entertaining battle and chance for IC to stamp itself as a contender. 

6 - Gotham Gashslayers - (3-1-1) 

With Wentz nearing his best again and JJ Watt starting to return to the form that made him the best vaunted defensive player in the league, Gotham is right back in the thick of things. After starting the year undermanned and boasting a paltry 1-1-1 in the last iteration of these rankings, they've put together two commanding victories to remind everyone that they're still here. Gotham is never an easy place to play and Orlando will have their hands full this week. 

7 - Long Beach Leprechauns - (3-2) 

While Long Beach has an offense boasting some big time playmakers and the ability to put up points on any given week, you're equally looking at a defense that outside of its edge rushers and safety that could have some rough outings in this league. With a healthy Rodgers they'll be in every game and figure to produce some memorable shootouts, although its tough to see a challenger emerging out of that defense. Acquiring Reed however is a big boost and he'll be needed against the fearsome OKC run game this week.

8 - Seoul Dragons - (2-2-1)

Struggling with some injuries and perhaps the fatigue of consistently performing at the highest level for a few seasons now, it's certainly a surprise to see such a good lineup ranked so low. However Seoul is getting older and doesn't appear to have as many players breaking out as its competitors do so it will be interesting to see if they can lift as the season progresses. A match against the reeling Sentinels might just be the remedy they're after. 

9 - Hawaii Nightmarchers - (2-3)

After starting the year 0-3 with major panic alerts, the ship has been steadied as Hawaii heads into week 6 at a manageable 2-3 record. While not perfoming up to the lofty expectations placed upon it earlier in the year, it's managed to avoid injuries apart from Cam Robinson but will be relying on further luck if it wants to get into the playoffs. Although Portland are winless, they won't be easy beats that's for sure. 

10 - Camden Hoodrats (2-2-1)

Considering the injury issues plaguing them heading into week 5, a tie against the Jazz is a positive result. With a deep group of offensive weapons that only figures to get stronger once Josh Gordon is in full flight, it wouldn't be surprising to see Camden start to roll towards the end of the year and jag a playoff spot. The key concern is how the cornerback group will hold up, however a fierce pass a efficient offense will go a long way to cover that. Next up is a trip to Sydney that may be tricky.

11 - Cuba Smugglers - (2-3)

Big win against Seoul to keep the season from slipping away, but there's a lot of work to be done. Cousins seems to be playing his best football and Julio is still one of the best weapons in the game, but there's some question marks on offense. On D this is a team that's really starting to come together too especially with James starting to look like one of the game's best safeties. Cuba has a big chance to get back to .500 against a reeling Berlin. 

12 - Singapore Sentinnels - (2-2-1)

This was probably Singapore's year to try and win the title before the mega-extensions are given out to Jimmy G & Donald but seems like it wasn't to be with a number of crippling injuries and Bell + Griffen not being available either, which is a shame for a team that has been built well from top to bottom. A couple of tough losses after a promising start have set things off course, and although Baldwin was a much needed addition to a team perhaps lacking some playmakers on offense, it might be a case of too little, too late given Carr or Tannehill will be at the QB for the rest of the year. 

13 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - (2-3)

An explosive start to the year from Hill and Djax along with Keenum looking passable let Berlin shoot out the gates hot at 2-0 and looked to be an early surprise packet, but they've since regressed to their expected level with 3 straight losses. While the Ajayi trade would've definitely helped the worst backfield in the BDL, it wasn't to be. Jameis' return could be the boost this team needs, but Houston's injury makes it seem like one step forward for two steps back. This weekend's match figures to tell us a lot about both Cuba and Berlin, with the winner back in the thick of things and the loser reeling. 

14 - Sydney Dingoes - (1-4)

You look at Sydney's roster and wonder how they're 1-4, but here they are. The offense isn't short on weapons, although the OL isn't great. On D there's also a lot to like with a good secondary and strong front 7. While it's had some tough losses to start the year, it wouldn't surprise me to see this team close to .500 if not better come the end of the season. Their season might very well be on the line against Camden so we'll see if the Dingoes can get it together.

15 - Wichita Woodpeckers - (0-5)

Goff is playing as well as any QB in the league but Wichita's skeleton crew offense doesn't seem to inspire much confidence around the league. While this is a team littered with talent throughout and will cause plenty of tough matches and upsets later on in the year, it figures to be a long season. A trip to the superdome in Louisiana in arguably the BDL's harshest environment doesn't make things much easier. 

16 - Portland Horned Owls - (0-4-1)

While the Mahomes trade is one which will keep Portland competitive in just about every match it plays, this appears to be a rebuilding year for Portland which has a substantial amount of its cap being eaten by unproductive players and cap dumps. 4 more cost-controlled years of Mahomes however and a few young pieces that appear to be blossoming should give Portland hope and enough to expect a few wins here and there to close out the year. 

• Like 7