03/10/18 Update: 3-Round Mock Draft (with Trades & Free Agency)

DoleINGout

7 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Good lord i hope not i hate it :) 

SEA trade Michael Bennett & pick 120 to ATL for pick 58   Sure as heck have no interest in this i wouldn't want him for even just our 3rd alone with nothing coming back.  Bennett is 32 years old and makes  8, 11, and 13 a year for the next 3 years.  We can resign Poe for that price which we refused to do bc of how much he wanted and we couldn't afford it and he is a better player and younger than Bennett.  I have 100% no interest in paying a dirty player like Bennett 13 mil at age 35 and i hope no team would even more so giving up our 2nd round pick to do so even with getting a 4th back that doesn't make it worth it at all.

According to Spotrac his base salaries are as follows:

2018: $1.6mil ($8.4 cap hit)

2019: $6mil ($8.7 cap hit)

2020: $7.5mil ($10.2 cap hit)

Guy played for Dan Quinn, is a valuable mentor for TakMcKinley and is versatile. Plus he brings a veteran presence to a young defense. For the figures I see, he'd be worth the money because he is still productive.

Better for the Steelers. Williamson is a decent signing. I don’t see Bryant getting traded though. We already need depth at WR, so I don’t see them making it a bigger need than it is. In the draft, I could see Harrison being the pick. Personally I don’t like it, I like Elliott better, but I think I’m in the minority there. Honestly don’t know much about Nwosu 

For the update, I could see the Bengals targeting Williams, but the combine is exposing him.  I would be totally on board with Hurst, but again, where are the upgrades at RT, LB and C?  I know you keep saying we re-sign Bodine, but our fan base hates that move.  Why on Earth would we sign Doug Martin with Gio Bernard and Mixon already signed for three more years?  

You have us signing a G and a lesser TE, and it helps, but the team should be targeting a C or an OT in free agency over guard.  if they wanted to pay guards top dollar, they would have just kept Zeitler instead.  We have like 4 OGs on the roster anyway, but to hear our recently departed Oline coach Paul Alexander put it, 

Give me an outside LB in free agency.  Then target the o-line in the draft.  I hope we move on from Bodine, but knowing this team, we won't.  

Similar issues for me in the new mock. I like the draft picks but FA is head scratching. I mentioned to you it’s Cousins or a draft pick and resigning McCown for the Jets. And then you added Teddy in there. That’s fine... but then eliminate McCown. The point of bringing back mccown is to help develop a rookie at 6. If a QB like Bridgewater (a non rookie) is brought in. There’s no need for mccown. You also fall 10s of millions shy of what the jets will spend. Let’s say Teddy costs 20mill, Gaines costs 12mill (those are the only signings you really have us making) that’s 32mill. You have small guys like resigning Davis, ASJ, etc. let’s say they cost 28mill (overdoing that number if anything). That’s 60mill. The jets will have around 105mill in cap space leavening us including money aside for the draft 38mill left. You need to jets to be bigger players in FA is my point. And I have no clue why you have Lacy as a Jet. That’s beyond bad.

5 hours ago, KJtheWicked said:

Better for the Steelers. Williamson is a decent signing. I don’t see Bryant getting traded though. We already need depth at WR, so I don’t see them making it a bigger need than it is. In the draft, I could see Harrison being the pick. Personally I don’t like it, I like Elliott better, but I think I’m in the minority there. Honestly don’t know much about Nwosu 

Nwosu is sort of an edge player at USC but with seemingly enough versatility to play inside or out. I think both Elliott and Harrison will be solid.

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

For the update, I could see the Bengals targeting Williams, but the combine is exposing him.  I would be totally on board with Hurst, but again, where are the upgrades at RT, LB and C?  I know you keep saying we re-sign Bodine, but our fan base hates that move.  Why on Earth would we sign Doug Martin with Gio Bernard and Mixon already signed for three more years?  

You have us signing a G and a lesser TE, and it helps, but the team should be targeting a C or an OT in free agency over guard.  if they wanted to pay guards top dollar, they would have just kept Zeitler instead.  We have like 4 OGs on the roster anyway, but to hear our recently departed Oline coach Paul Alexander put it, 

Give me an outside LB in free agency.  Then target the o-line in the draft.  I hope we move on from Bodine, but knowing this team, we won't.  

I'm not sure every team can find the solutions they need in free agency. Teams that miss out on impact signings can still address the areas that need depth like I have happening with the Bengals. Clearly their frer agency haul isn't majorly impressive, but it would be of value to retain a starter in Bodine and add some players who can play valuable snaps (Kline, Paul, Martin). Doug Martin is at this point will be brought in to be a starters backup or a backup's backup on a short term deal. For a backup role, I think Martin presents value to the Bengals considering Gio Bernards inconsistent availability throughout his career. I could see Billy Price falling to the third round and a team like the Bengals trading up to get him. Also, despite what I've heard about this years draft class being weak at the offensive line, I think the tackles are pretty solid through hhe middle rounds with two first round talents in Connor Williams and stud Mike McGlinchey.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Similar issues for me in the new mock. I like the draft picks but FA is head scratching. I mentioned to you it’s Cousins or a draft pick and resigning McCown for the Jets. And then you added Teddy in there. That’s fine... but then eliminate McCown. The point of bringing back mccown is to help develop a rookie at 6. If a QB like Bridgewater (a non rookie) is brought in. There’s no need for mccown. You also fall 10s of millions shy of what the jets will spend. Let’s say Teddy costs 20mill, Gaines costs 12mill (those are the only signings you really have us making) that’s 32mill. You have small guys like resigning Davis, ASJ, etc. let’s say they cost 28mill (overdoing that number if anything). That’s 60mill. The jets will have around 105mill in cap space leavening us including money aside for the draft 38mill left. You need to jets to be bigger players in FA is my point. And I have no clue why you have Lacy as a Jet. That’s beyond bad.

Bridgewater can serve as an investment into the quarterback position passed 2018 when McCown will likely be playing his final season as a starter for the Jets. Just because there is a lot of cap room doesn't mean it all gets spent. For years I've seen teams like the Bengals and Buccaneers carry over exsessive amounts of cap room. The Jets would be wise to not spend just for the sake of spending like the Raiders and various other franchises have over the years. Take a look at the Giants now, a team so eager to capitalize by big spending tat now they'll be saddled with hefty salaries and disgruntled athletes for a second year in a row. It's also worth baring in mind that these are mostly the major free agents available as of March 2, 2018. A guy like Randall Cobb could be released from the Packers and get a legitimate offer from the Jets in a month from now. Next year, why not see if there are smart top teir free agents to sign too? Like the Boston Celtics of the NBA, signing a couple of the right guys every year starts to build and lead to success. I would hope for the Jets sake that they do not panic in the event Kirk Cousins signs elsewhere and sign people essentially because they can if it's not what the team needs right now.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Giants aren’t trading down to 21 for that little. Why is Keenum signing with the Giants to be a backup? I will never be happy drafting a RB in the first especially after signing one in FA.

Keenum had success with Giants head coaxh Pat Shurmur and may look at signing to be a backup as his best opportunity available. The Giants I believe will make these trades including down to 21 & 22 from 5 with a couple of extra picks thrown in. We seem to be in disagreement on the value for doing such. I think a higher quantity of desired quality talents versus one higher quality talent is theoretically optimal for accelerated success. Derrius Guice would be integral to Shurmur's offense which - if Minnesota was any indication - heavily involves runningback versatility and incorporates at least two backs primarily. For the Giants, after losing Vereen and Darkwa, the top two will be Guice and Jerrick McKinnon ala Dalvin Cook/Latavious Murray and McKinnon in MIN.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The jets HAVE to spend big bc so much of the cap is carryover from last year. You can’t carry over carry over cap. It has to be spent that next season.

So I don't understand why you would buy big now unless you front load like two or three players contracts into guarenteed money. 

13 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm really proud of the progress I've made thanks to your feedback. What do you think of the final draft I've mocked up?

Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum or "other"...that is obviously a huge decision, and is still a toss up for me (probably for Spellman and Zimmer too). I still think they go with Bridgewater or Keenum though and put the Cousins money elsewhere in the team. I think Bradford is out unless they trade up for a QB and only want a mentor\vet back up.

As for the draft, I like it. Payne and Okorafor definitely fill needs in the trenches.

@FalconFan13 I tell you what , I still project Michael Bennett to land with Atlanta if he isn't traded in tandem with Sherman to Oakland. Rather than the trade to the Falcons, I think he will be cut and signed.

DE:

M. Bennett, Falcons

58. J. Jones - OT, ATL

And other changes, I'm swapping the two Cowboys players where they're drafted. Lorenzo Carter in the first at 19 and Hayden Hurst in the second at 50.

@Bobby816 I agree that Lacy could fit better on another team besides the Jets.

RB:

E. Lacy, Texans

To add to my earlier post, the post June-1 designated players like Ndamukong Suh potentially are in play following the draft for the the Jets to sign. I mentioned Randall Cobb, but there will be other viable veterans cut by their teams all pre season long.

Archived