Marcus Peters traded to Rams

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Oh, I definitely have my concerns with him - don't get me wrong I see how he fits into Wade's scheme, but his fit is more as that Antonio Cromartie type than the Chris Harris Jr. type.  Now, he has the ability to become that Chris Harris type, but even when he was a Chief, I questioned whether Peters even wanted to be that.  From what I'd read (which, admittedly, isn't extensive) and gathered from some of the Chiefs fans on here, Peters fancies himself more Deion than Revis... and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there also concern about his commitment to (or at least the quality of his) tackling?

Yes. In the KC forum, Peters's lack of enthusiasm for tackling this season was a far more serious concern than his attitude or penalties.

A few plays like this. And then many where he went for the strip without wrapping up.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see him as a guy who will choose money if the offers are close.

Nah.  If anything I can see him choosing location over straight money if the offers are close.  I'm more worried about him having his heart set on going back to Florida (I don't see space on the Jags for him and Miami's cap-space is well and nuked, but Tampa can definitely be a player with a lot of cap space and a relatively nameless secondary outside of Hargreaves.

9 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

If Reid is supposed to be this HoF coach then he sure does shirk any kind of conflict or issues in the locker room fairly often.

It sure is impressive how he's responsible for trading away players when he isn't the GM though.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

Yes. In the KC forum, Peters's lack of enthusiasm for tackling this season was a far more serious concern than his attitude or penalties.

A few plays like this. And then many where he went for the strip without wrapping up.

Yep, that bothers me. I hope our players ride him until he decides to tackle.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yep, that bothers me. I hope our players ride him until he decides to tackle.

I'm not too familiar with the leadership dynamic on the Rams defense, but I do think it's correctable. This was the first year the issue popped up that badly (he's always been prone to go for the strip, to a fault, just as he goes for INTs, but he never shied away from contact before.) I still think not having Berry back there hurt Peters a lot in terms of leadership. Justin Houston tried to assume the leadership role at times, but he's not that guy the way Berry is. If you have someone who can help reel him in I would expect the tackling to tighten back up.

But, always hard to say. We aren't in the lockerroom or on the sideline.

Just now, Jakuvious said:

I'm not too familiar with the leadership dynamic on the Rams defense, but I do think it's correctable. This was the first year the issue popped up that badly (he's always been prone to go for the strip, to a fault, just as he goes for INTs, but he never shied away from contact before.) I still think not having Berry back there hurt Peters a lot in terms of leadership. Justin Houston tried to assume the leadership role at times, but he's not that guy the way Berry is. If you have someone who can help reel him in I would expect the tackling to tighten back up.

But, always hard to say. We aren't in the lockerroom or on the sideline.

When Andrew Whitworth sprints onto the field and pancakes him, I think He'll learn his lesson. ;)

3 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

This is interesting without a second rounder.  I think the Rams chances to win now make them more willing to give up a first despite his issues/past, but their third + conditionals seems more likely.

Rams are also an extremely young team by comparison to a lot of the rest of the league, so while generally that's a greater argument for being more liberal with trading Day 3 picks, there reaches a point where you - as a team which can/would benefit from those "savvy veteran presences," you make the moves necessary to put the "star power" on your roster that makes said vets willing to take more team-friendly free agent deals (typically short-term) to ring-hunt.  It's a formula Denver used in the past, Seattle deployed it, the Pats have deployed it several times over.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

LMAO. I had to re-watch this a few times because it made me laugh so hard. 

If football doesn't work out, he may have a future in bullfighting. OLE!

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It sure is impressive how he's responsible for trading away players when he isn't the GM though.

From what I've read, Reid won the battle vs Dorsey and hired a yes-man GM in Veach

When Reid was in Philly, he didn't handle the TO situation very well either and eventually sent him packing.

The similarities are worth noting

14 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Oh, I definitely have my concerns with him - don't get me wrong I see how he fits into Wade's scheme, but his fit is more as that Antonio Cromartie type than the Chris Harris Jr. type.  Now, he has the ability to become that Chris Harris type, but even when he was a Chief, I questioned whether Peters even wanted to be that.  From what I'd read (which, admittedly, isn't extensive) and gathered from some of the Chiefs fans on here, Peters fancies himself more Deion than Revis... and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there also concern about his commitment to (or at least the quality of his) tackling?

I think the tackling thing is way overblown.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

IMO the tackling is the one criticism of Peters that isn't overblown. He was terrible last year. Wasn't a problem in years 1 or 2, but it was pretty bad.

I think it's more a case of what you were referring to above: He goes for the splash play over the safe one.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you do want to see maybe some better situational awareness and you have to make sure you balance it out in terms of how the defense is formed up (e.g. safety play and alignment, making sure you're not leaving him on an island all by his lonesome on one side of the field when a team overloads the other side of the field).  There's a lot that can be remedied with scheme and surrounding personnel.

Archived