The Official Recruiting Thread

1King

5 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Omg this hurts my head.  If Michigan boosters set it up and do so only if he goes to Michigan that’s a violation.  

Forget about the autographs it’s irrelevant and obviously confusing you. 

So Ohio State and Miami are both offering this kid NIL deals.  Everyone knows this.  Ohio State will now pay out the offered NIL deal and Miami will not.  NIL was used to induce the player to come to Ohio.  This is against ncaa rules.  Selective Outrage. Selective Enforcement 

Hey man, I'm just the one trying to understand this. You're the one doing the piss poor job of combining elements that are irrelevant and confusing.

If the state's laws conflict with the NCAA's, who wins?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37923337/new-ncaa-rules-conflict-some-state-laws-nil-deals

New NCAA guidelines directly conflict with some state laws that are already in effect or will go into effect by the end of the summer, setting up a potential clash that will once again test the association's legal ability to enforce its rules. In a letter sent to the schools Tuesday afternoon, Stan Wilcox, NCAA executive vice president of regulatory affairs, wrote that even if state laws allow for some specific types of NIL activities, schools could be punished by the NCAA for pursuing them.

In recent months, several states have passed laws that allow for fundraising groups that are legally separate yet closely partnered with universities to start paying athletes for NIL endorsements. In Texas, for example, a law is set to go into effect Saturday that would allow fundraising groups such as the Longhorn Foundation or the 12th Man Foundation -- which support the athletic departments at Texas and Texas A&M, respectively -- to raise money for NIL deals. Similar laws have been passed in Arkansas and Oklahoma, among others.

However, the new law taking effect in Texas also includes a provision that says the NCAA and its conferences are prohibited from punishing any school that takes advantage of these new types of NIL activities. If the NCAA sanctions a school in Texas for providing perks to donors in exchange for NIL dollars, that school could pursue legal action against the NCAA. Buckley said those types of situations include too many hypothetical elements to comment on how a potential showdown between the NCAA's rules and the law of Texas might play out in court.

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Hey man, I'm just the one trying to understand this. You're the one doing the piss poor job of combining elements that are irrelevant and confusing.

Yeah I know, my bad on the frustration just dealt with a lot of people being intentional obtuse in these parts. I get it, it’s a crap show and most don’t really know the rules. 

Cool story bro, when I was at Western Michigan VaTech still had a football program and they actually came to Waldo for a road game in MAC country. It was when Kevin Jones was there. Pretty cool at the time. 

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah I’ve read alot of this stuff and people smarter than me don’t really know how it will all play out. My assumption however is that these schools willing entered contracts with the ncaa and to be a member institution.  Seems like overreach on the states part.  Can the state of Michigan just say the ncaa can’t punish Michigan or Jim Harbaugh because we say so?  No one forced or is forcing these schools to be members or participate in the soon to be bankrupt and irrelevant ncaa.  They can choose to leave.  If your company joins the bbb the state can’t just make a law saying the bbb can’t give companies in its state bad grades based on bad practices. Maybe a strange example but something that popped in my head.

2 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Seems like overreach on the states part.

Wouldn't be the first time. Then again, the NCAA shoots themselves in the foot all the time. I think they aren't doing anything, because it can be lazily argued that the schools followed the poorly implemented rules put out there to start. There's so many loopholes and the NCAA is sitting on their thumbs.

I think we're all just waiting for the Super League dominoes and athletes being employees rather than students anyway.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, BigC421/ said:

If Michigan boosters set it up and do so only if he goes to Michigan that’s a violation

Correct.

The law is the players are allowed to sell their name, image, and likeness to 3rd party advertisers. They cannot be paid by the university. They cannot be paid in exchange for their school decision. They cannot be paid for their ability to play football.

The only legal way for them to make money is an advertising partner pays them in exchange for their NIL.

This is pretty aggressively stupid, but in theory, it's a clean distinction. in practice, this gets muddy.

The schools are free to recruit 3rd party advertisers. Those advertisers can announce that they are partnering with any athlete in a school's class, but they cannot offer to pay a specific player to go to a specific school. Schools can sum up all of the 3rd party advertisers they have and come up with an expected NIL dollar figure, but again that's for anyone not for a specific recruit, and therefore it's not an offer.

So Ohio State and Miami are both offering this kid NIL deals.

No, the player hasn't been offered anything. They are aware that if they go to Miami, the expected market for NIL is $X, and if they go to OSU the expected market is $Y.

That's not an offer.

Ohio State will now pay out the offered NIL deal and Miami will not.

No, Ohio State won't be paying anything. Ohio State's 3rd party advertising partners are going to pay the kid's NIL money. But no agreement with any of those partners and the kid existed prior to his commitment.

NIL was used to induce the player to come to Ohio.

Welcome to recruiting.

This is against ncaa rules.

There is no NCAA rule forbidding athletes from considering NIL payouts in their decisions.

College football is a multi billion dollar industry, and HS recruits treat it like such. They're going to do market research to know what the money is going to look like, and expecting them to be blind to the salary on the biggest job offer of their life is as dumb an idea for a recruit as it is for anyone else picking a job.

Real easy answer: pay more, whine less.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Correct.

The law is the players are allowed to sell their name, image, and likeness to 3rd party advertisers. They cannot be paid by the university. They cannot be paid in exchange for their school decision. They cannot be paid for their ability to play football.

The only legal way for them to make money is an advertising partner pays them in exchange for their NIL.

This is pretty aggressively stupid, but in theory, it's a clean distinction. in practice, this gets muddy.

The schools are free to recruit 3rd party advertisers. Those advertisers can announce that they are partnering with any athlete in a school's class, but they cannot offer to pay a specific player to go to a specific school. Schools can sum up all of the 3rd party advertisers they have and come up with an expected NIL dollar figure, but again that's for anyone not for a specific recruit, and therefore it's not an offer.

No, the player hasn't been offered anything. They are aware that if they go to Miami, the expected market for NIL is $X, and if they go to OSU the expected market is $Y.

That's not an offer.

No, Ohio State won't be paying anything. Ohio State's 3rd party advertising partners are going to pay the kid's NIL money. But no agreement with any of those partners and the kid existed prior to his commitment.

Welcome to recruiting.

There is no NCAA rule forbidding athletes from considering NIL payouts in their decisions.

College football is a multi billion dollar industry, and HS recruits treat it like such. They're going to do market research to know what the money is going to look like, and expecting them to be blind to the salary on the biggest job offer of their life is as dumb an idea for a recruit as it is for anyone else picking a job.

Real easy answer: pay more, whine less.

I was answering a question with an explanation and examples.  Your being pretty naive with the “expected earnings” non sense. Boosters are telling them we will pay you this much if you attend our school. There isn’t a contract on the table but they are being offered money.  It is what it is.  

On 12/27/2023 at 5:57 PM, BigC421/ said:

I was answering a question with an explanation and examples.  Your being pretty naive with the “expected earnings” non sense. Boosters are telling them we will pay you this much if you attend our school. There isn’t a contract on the table but they are being offered money.  It is what it is.  

I'm not being naive at all. Boosters are saying that they have packages available for a player or a QB at $X. Recruits are inferring from that general statement that they specifically have an offer for $X. That's not the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...