The Official Recruiting Thread

1King

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't believe the $13 million for a second. But there's some stuff going down here. Don't know which side is causing the problem. Either ways, it's a bad look, and I'm over it. It's too bad it sounds like Walker Howard is trending to TCU. I'd much rather us grab him than continue with these games.

I agree the $13 million seems outrageous but you never know. If it were Miami, I'd be more inclined to believe it lol. 

Dykes has really sold that program. They got 3 Bama transfers (I think) and now him. In that easy conference, they might be around for a bit.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

If some of these kids take money before getting to campus and then back out of a NIL deal, they better be wary of getting arrested on fraud charges.  Money typically comes with contracts, and contracts tend to come with consequences for breaking them.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's fraud.

For it to be fraud, there would have to be proof the recruit entered the NIL deal with the specific intent to never show up and cause damages. Good luck proving that in court.

Speaking of damages, they have to exist. Beyond compelling the kid to pay back the monkey (if any), there aren't any. The company is still free to sign his replacement to the exact same deal and get all the same advertising benefits.

This is easy: make the kid pay the money back, if the contract has penalties in it, enforce them, and move on. Pretty typical pre-employment drama.

17 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Hope they don't give these kids a dime before they step foot on campus.

I mean, employers don't send the first checks out until after the first few weeks. Any employer who has a signing bonus with no strings attached or sends out cash before work has actually been done may as well have a neon sign flashing "SCAMMERS COME HERE".

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I hope the kids get whatever they want whenever they want tbqh

It's kind of amusing watching the NCAA slowly learn with companies have all the onboarding/HR BS right at the beginning.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

If some of these kids take money before getting to campus and then back out of a NIL deal, they better be wary of getting arrested on fraud charges.  Money typically comes with contracts, and contracts tend to come with consequences for breaking them.

In many cases, a lot of these NIL deals come with "strings attached". For example, Ewers had the fine print of having to start "x games" by his sophomore season, which is why he transferred from Ohio State. 

Where the "rub" is becomes interesting when you're marrying private companies with public and/or private universities, because technically speaking, most of these kids become employees of whatever said private company is, as opposed to the university having much of any say.

So, it would be smart to have these companies put that in there if they're local businesses, but some of these national businesses aren't going to care if Bryce Young balls out at Alabama or Georgia or Clemson or Ohio State. Exposure and money is money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

In many cases, a lot of these NIL deals come with "strings attached". For example, Ewers had the fine print of having to start "x games" by his sophomore season, which is why he transferred from Ohio State. 

This is a downside of the NCAA not being involved in the NIL creation process.

These kind of playing time clauses should be legislated out or more regulated IMO, because they are putting pressure on players to transfer schools if they don't start immediately.

But since this came from a court decision and the rules are "do whatever you want IDGAF", the market is going to have to figure this out on it's own with no framework. Of course some kids (and business and schools) are gonna try to game the system.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is a downside of the NCAA not being involved in the NIL creation process.

These kind of playing time clauses should be legislated out or more regulated IMO, because they are putting pressure on players to transfer schools if they don't start immediately.

I'm kind of torn here to be honest. It's not much different than a lot of jobs in the private sector that are basically commission based or have high expectations but require a high return on your product. The beauty and also the dark side to NIL is that these young men and women ARE the product(s). So the companies are well within their rights to demand a return on their investment.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But since this came from a court decision and the rules are "do whatever you want IDGAF", the market is going to have to figure this out on it's own with no framework. Of course some kids (and business and schools) are gonna try to game the system.

It's similar to what we've discussed before. The only reason 90% of these companies care about these kids' names, images, and likenesses are because they play ____________ for ___________ school and bring them ________ revenue...except for female athletes who are making big bucks for various reasons that I won't get into at all, but we all know why. (See: This week's story on the LSU gymnast)

So yeah, Ewers for example has amazing value as a high profile quarterback...but he has next to zero if he's not playing on the field except for diehard college football fans/recruiting guys like us who know better.

Similarly, a portion of these kids' values comes from the college that they represent on the field, so it would have made more sense to have a university and business liaison as a go between and make these kids employees of the college or university, have branding as part of their schtick, and have university backing/legal at their disposals, all complete with a 1099.

Just my 2 cents. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but it would be better than what we have now, which is all sorts of blatant tampering, transferring, money in plain sight from boosters, etc.

Sure, good for the kids for getting their money, but at the same token, if they become professional athletes, then my willingness to boo them or criticize them goes up infinitely. I never bood a college kid or obviously a HS kid, but now I won't hesitate as much to criticize them since they're basically close to millionaires.

Good for them.

...but embrace the other side that's not so pleasant if you don't perform, just like any other company and walk of life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm kind of torn here to be honest. It's not much different than a lot of jobs in the private sector that are basically commission based or have high expectations but require a high return on your product. The beauty and also the dark side to NIL is that these young men and women ARE the product(s). So the companies are well within their rights to demand a return on their investment.

Me too, the language I used was specifically vague, 'more regulated' could mean anything these days.

Whatever restrictions would need to be reasonable. So I wouldn't want to outlaw performance bonuses, because as you noted, the player performance is an ROI factor.

So far, the only idea I have that would get around this would be for the NCAA to make all NLI deals 4-5 year commitments from the advertiser where each year the player can opt out. That way, if they don't play, they can re-up and don't risk losing anything. If they do play or some other school wants to poach them, they could opt-out and renegotiate with their advertisers for a higher rate, or transfer to a school where there is a better rate.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

It's similar to what we've discussed before. The only reason 90% of these companies care about these kids' names, images, and likenesses are because they play ____________ for ___________ school and bring them ________ revenue...except for female athletes who are making big bucks for various reasons that I won't get into at all, but we all know why. (See: This week's story on the LSU gymnast)

So yeah, Ewers for example has amazing value as a high profile quarterback...but he has next to zero if he's not playing on the field except for diehard college football fans/recruiting guys like us who know better.

Similarly, a portion of these kids' values comes from the college that they represent on the field, so it would have made more sense to have a university and business liaison as a go between and make these kids employees of the college or university, have branding as part of their schtick, and have university backing/legal at their disposals, all complete with a 1099.

Just my 2 cents. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but it would be better than what we have now, which is all sorts of blatant tampering, transferring, money in plain sight from boosters, etc.

Sure, good for the kids for getting their money, but at the same token, if they become professional athletes, then my willingness to boo them or criticize them goes up infinitely. I never bood a college kid or obviously a HS kid, but now I won't hesitate as much to criticize them since they're basically close to millionaires.

Good for them.

...but embrace the other side that's not so pleasant if you don't perform, just like any other company and walk of life. 

Yeah, this is why I like the 4 or 5 1 year recurring player option deal, since the base value of the player is the helmet so the advertisers aren't getting screwed being on the hook if the kid isn't any good. But then if the kid does turn out good, they can rip it up and the kid gets paid.

• Like 1

Do these CBs think Deion is going to be teaching them? If he is spending enough time with them that they'd get any benefit he isn't doing his job. No HC spends that much time with a position group on technique or film study with all they other stuff they need/should be doing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mse326 said:

Do these CBs think Deion is going to be teaching them? If he is spending enough time with them that they'd get any benefit he isn't doing his job. No HC spends that much time with a position group on technique or film study with all they other stuff they need/should be doing

No, but he's going to have so many connections that other CFB coaches won't. Sponsorships, NFL coaches, front office insiders, etc.