The Official Recruiting Thread

1King

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Mentally, multiply by 5 and consider that the complete QB room, amortizing the signing bonus, and you get about $13MM/year in total expenses for the QB room.

I haven't found recent figures on Florida's total football budget (and it wouldn't come out of this pool, so it's not a fair comparison), but apparently they budgeted $140MM in 2021.

So the Gators are willing to spend about 10% of their football budget on a QB. That's pretty consistent with the range from NFL teams, who spend somewhere between 5-20% on the QB room, depending on whether they have a rookie or not. The Derek Carr/Jimmy Garrapolo types get about 10%.

For a different point of reference, the highest paid head coaches make $10-12MM/year. So putting it a different way, Florida thinks their total QB room is only slightly more important than the HC.

None of this seems insane. High? Yeah sure. But within the realm of "the market is trying to figure out how far to go" not "we've all lost our minds".

Your logic is sound but I have two things to suggest.

The first being we're comparing NFL QBs to kids who can barely drive a car. I think that context is a little important in this discussion but that's certainly just an opinion. 

Second (and this is an assumption so I could be wrong) - doesn't the football budget cover other sports that don't bring in as much cash to help fund them ala field hockey, water polo etc etc? Assuming this is the case, that would decrease the allotted amount of money available for solely the football program and make it a little more uneven. Again though, I don't know if this happens but I just assume it would since football is easily the biggest money maker for a lot of programs and especially one like Florida

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

So, assuming he goes pro after his junior season and factoring in 12 months a year:

$11,499,999.92

...and Florida does not have an income tax

He should major in business and use the magic of compounded interest as a 21 year old to never have to work another day in his life if his NFL career never pans out.

I think you found your new calling since NIL become a thing. I can see your desk plaque now:

"MWil23 - Incoming Freshman Financial Advisor"

Send your resume to OSU.

In case it needs to be said, you're not wrong lol. I would assume most of these youngsters have gotten this advice though.... I hope......

This is literally life changing money. Injuries and other **** happen. They need to be advised to hold onto it just in case

• Like 1

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think you found your new calling since NIL become a thing. I can see your desk plaque now:

"MWil23 - Incoming Freshman Financial Advisor"

Send your resume to OSU.

In case it needs to be said, you're not wrong lol. I would assume most of these youngsters have gotten this advice though.... I hope......

This is literally life changing money. Injuries and other **** happen. They need to be advised to hold onto it just in case

A 7% annual return on $11 million is over $800K.

Even a conservative 3-5% bond on that would be crazy money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Your logic is sound but I have two things to suggest.

The first being we're comparing NFL QBs to kids who can barely drive a car. I think that context is a little important in this discussion but that's certainly just an opinion.

Yeah I used coaching salaries and NFL QB cap allocation as a way to try and tease out some benchmark, because otherwise it's a new market and there's not a lot to go on.

When I started digging around, I imagined that the math would be less favorable than it was. My expectation was more like "bought 5 houses with nothing down in 2007 to flip them later dumb", not "bought a shiny new pickup truck we may not be able to afford dumb".

Gun to my head, this is an overpayment, so it was interesting that the math says it's not all that nuts. Makes more sense as to how Florida boosters got there originally.

14 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Second (and this is an assumption so I could be wrong) - doesn't the football budget cover other sports that don't bring in as much cash to help fund them ala field hockey, water polo etc etc? Assuming this is the case, that would decrease the allotted amount of money available for solely the football program and make it a little more uneven. Again though, I don't know if this happens but I just assume it would since football is easily the biggest money maker for a lot of programs and especially one like Florida

The link I found said "football budget" and not "football revenue", so I think that number is after non-revenue generating sports are subsidized.

But I'll challenge you - what's your final offer to a QB like this - by which I mean, competitive in the QB room of a CFB school with 12 team playoff aspirations? I think I'd go to somewhere around $8MM.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My expectation was more like "bought 5 houses with nothing down in 2007 to flip them later dumb", not "bought a shiny new pickup truck we may not be able to afford dumb".

I laughed a lot harder at this than I should have 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But I'll challenge you - what's your final offer to a QB like this - by which I mean, competitive in the QB room of a CFB school with 12 team playoff aspirations? I think I'd go to somewhere around $8MM.

My biggest eyebrow raised moment was the immediate decline as a senior, as I figured they’d try to talk a kid like that into staying a 4th year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My biggest eyebrow raised moment was the immediate decline as a senior, as I figured they’d try to talk a kid like that into staying a 4th year. 

Oh that's funny - my initial reaction seeing that was, "oh looks like they thought this through".

Most of his pay is based on the somewhat small chance that he turns into a 1st overall pick kind of QB who's worth $50MM, $100MM, whatever it is to Florida over the 3 years. So even if there's a 10% chance of him being worth that $50MM, well that's still worth $5MM to Florida.

But he's never coming back if he's the 1st overall pick in the draft, so remove those possibilities once he's a senior, and the overall salary goes way down.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I used coaching salaries and NFL QB cap allocation as a way to try and tease out some benchmark, because otherwise it's a new market and there's not a lot to go on.

When I started digging around, I imagined that the math would be less favorable than it was. My expectation was more like "bought a shiny new pickup truck we may not be able to afford dumb", not "bought 5 houses with nothing down in 2007 to flip them later dumb".

Gun to my head, this is an overpayment.

The link I found said "football budget" and not "football revenue", so I think that number is after non-revenue generating sports are subsidized.

Not going to lie, I thought you just underlined text for emphasis lol. Sheesh. I didn't realize it was a link. 

I honestly don't know what to think of your challenge. As everyone is aware, I'm not 100% on board w/ the chaos that is NIL. At first I didn't agree w/ these kids making money but I have definitely changed my opinion on that to a large extent. I get "signing the dotted line" bonuses (assuming they walk on campus and stay for X number of years like we know Rashada didn't) and some yearly income but honestly, when this started taking off, I thought NIL would be a little money from the university and more money from endorsements w/ national brands or local businesses. Giving these kids cars, free housing, etc. I don't really like the thought of potentially stripping money away from other sports that need the funding to give to these kids which might not even happen anyway as you've alluded to.

TL:DR

This is a really long-winded answer to say "I have no damn clue" but keeping in mind that we are going to 12 team playoffs very soon, like you said, I would agree that a top QB recruit needs to be well compensated. Just need to determine what "well compensated" is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not going to lie, I thought you just underlined text for emphasis lol. Sheesh. I didn't realize it was a link. 

I honestly don't know what to think of your challenge. As everyone is aware, I'm not 100% on board w/ the chaos that is NIL. At first I didn't agree w/ these kids making money but I have definitely changed my opinion on that to a large extent. I get "signing the dotted line" bonuses (assuming they walk on campus and stay for X number of years like we know Rashada didn't) and some yearly income but honestly, when this started taking off, I thought NIL would be a little money from the university and more money from endorsements w/ national brands or local businesses. Giving these kids cars, free housing, etc. I don't really like the thought of potentially stripping money away from other sports that need the funding to give to these kids which might not even happen anyway as you've alluded to.

TL:DR

This is a really long-winded answer to say "I have no damn clue" but keeping in mind that we are going to 12 team playoffs very soon, like you said, I would agree that a top QB recruit needs to be well compensated. Just need to determine what "well compensated" is.

Yeah you're not alone there. The truth is, valuing the contributions these kids provide is really hard. Like would I really write an $8MM check because I googled one revenue link and did some long division? No way, there also needs to be an emotional gut check.

The market should figure this out in time, but until then schools are going to make mistakes and overpay. Or maybe they aren't mistakes and it turns out that any run of the mill school could turn itself into Georgia with a decade of $20MM checks to every 5* QB with a mailing address. We just don't know yet.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
16 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Recruiting rankings on 247 are rigged.  Gotta love when a player decommits from LSU and commits to Houston and he drops in the rankings.  Houston in a P5 conference now dangit!  lol

Literally every school has a portion of the fan base that thinks this way. That should tell you a lot.