The Official Recruiting Thread

1King

34 minutes ago, Adam21 said:

I'm assuming he's referring to the dead period. Which refers to in person contact and not phone conversations.

I know what he's referring to but wanted him to explain it so he could be corrected. It's a shame bc all those accounts that are PMing him, telling him we're all stupid, should have let him know that no rules were broken and he's obviously never paid attention to Alabama recruiting as of late lol.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I know what he's referring to but wanted him to explain it so he could be corrected. It's a shame bc all those accounts that are PMing him, telling him we're all stupid, should have let him know that no rules were broken and he's obviously never paid attention to Alabama recruiting as of late lol.

I stand corrected. Phone contact is apparently legal during the dead period. 

My selective outrage point still stands however.  Using NIL/ up front money to induce players to commit to a school is a major ncaa violation.  Selective outrage. No one cares.  It’s cheating flat out and far more impactful on the fruitfulness and success of a program than doing something legal (sign decoding) in an unconventional manner.  Just doesn’t make as good of a story so the sheep sheep 

49 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It is? I feel like the NCAA failed to make or enforce any rules with it and that's why it's the WWW out there.

Yes it is. It’s being given the “ everyone’s doing it” rational by fans of the teams cheating but it is strictly against the rules and cheating.  As is recruiting players to transfer who have yet to enter the portal.  It’s also cheating to offer players in the portal money to come to your school.  NIL is players right to sell there own name image and likeness for profit ie advertising mainly.  Schools or boosters or business offered benefits that are dependent on what school you go to is cheating and against the rules.  Selective outrage 

15 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Yes it is. It’s being given the “ everyone’s doing it” rational by fans of the teams cheating but it is strictly against the rules and cheating.  As is recruiting players to transfer who have yet to enter the portal.  It’s also cheating to offer players in the portal money to come to your school.  NIL is players right to sell there own name image and likeness for profit ie advertising mainly.  Schools or boosters or business offered benefits that are dependent on what school you go to is cheating and against the rules.  Selective outrage 

Can you point me to this rule about the upfront money? I am looking for it.

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Can you point me to this rule about the upfront money? I am looking for it.

https://awmcap.com/blog/nil-rules

Halfway down the page. Under “ The Difference Between NIL and Pay-To-Play“ 

“While many aspects of the new NIL rules are confusing, David Fleshman says there’s one thing that’s absolutely crystal clear – impermissible benefits and pay-to-play activities are still off the table:

“The NCAA, when they waived their rule prohibiting NIL, made it very clear that their rules prohibiting impermissible benefits or recruiting inducements, and pay-to-play, are all still prohibited by the NCAA. And they will still enforce those.”

This means that athletes can receive sponsorships and endorsement deals but schools are not allowed to give athletes signing bonuses or use any other kind of financial incentive to persuade them to play for a school or college.

To understand the difference between an endorsement and a pay-to-play activity or impermissible benefit, Fleshman gives the following example:

“You're a student-athlete and you have a potential deal for $100,000 to do an autograph signing. 

If you don't go to that autograph signing, but you get the $100,000, then there has been no exchange there. And so that is an impermissible benefit that you received. 

So there has to always be an activity or an endorsement or an appearance or something tied to the exchange of compensation. If there's not, and money just gets transferred into the account of a student-athlete, that is still a violation. 

It's been a violation, and it still is. And it will probably always be. The NCAA is allowed to continue making rules on that front.”

21 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Apparently UF’s LB coach is leaving to be Texas A&M’s DC but didn’t tell the LBs they signed until today after ESD. Seems Shady, but overall another reason the transfer portal is needed. 

I remember when Ohio’s running back coach did that to Mike Weber. There relationship was the biggest factor in him choosing OSU.  He was peeved. Scum bags lying to kids trying to influence major life decisions.  It’s shameful

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2015/02/05/shady-osu-mike-weber-hurt-rb-coach-leaving/22948825/

Edited by BigC421/

22 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

https://awmcap.com/blog/nil-rules

Halfway down the page. Under “ The Difference Between NIL and Pay-To-Play“ 

“While many aspects of the new NIL rules are confusing, David Fleshman says there’s one thing that’s absolutely crystal clear – impermissible benefits and pay-to-play activities are still off the table:

“The NCAA, when they waived their rule prohibiting NIL, made it very clear that their rules prohibiting impermissible benefits or recruiting inducements, and pay-to-play, are all still prohibited by the NCAA. And they will still enforce those.”

This means that athletes can receive sponsorships and endorsement deals but schools are not allowed to give athletes signing bonuses or use any other kind of financial incentive to persuade them to play for a school or college.

To understand the difference between an endorsement and a pay-to-play activity or impermissible benefit, Fleshman gives the following example:

“You're a student-athlete and you have a potential deal for $100,000 to do an autograph signing. 

If you don't go to that autograph signing, but you get the $100,000, then there has been no exchange there. And so that is an impermissible benefit that you received. 

So there has to always be an activity or an endorsement or an appearance or something tied to the exchange of compensation. If there's not, and money just gets transferred into the account of a student-athlete, that is still a violation. 

It's been a violation, and it still is. And it will probably always be. The NCAA is allowed to continue making rules on that front.”

Do you feel these players at OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc aren't doing these autograph signings or other appearances? In theory it sounds like Arch could do 1 auto signing for $3 million and be good.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Do you feel these players at OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc aren't doing these autograph signings or other appearances? In theory it sounds like Arch could do 1 auto signing for $3 million and be good.

The auto signing are legal.  Getting paid to not show up is not. That’s just an example in the article besides the point. It really amazes me how people on this board can read something they asked for and find the one least relevant part and focus on it.  

Paying someone for an autograph or setting up a signing that is dependent or under inducement to attend a particular university is illegal. Just read it and focus on the raw stated facts 

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

The auto signing are legal.  Getting paid to not show up is not. That’s just an example in the article besides the point. It really amazes me how people on this board can read something they asked for and find the one least relevant part and focus on it.  

Paying someone for an autograph or setting up a signing that is dependent or under inducement to attend a particular university is illegal. Just read it and focus on the raw stated facts 

I don't see that. Who is getting paid to not show up? Did I miss that somewhere? I asked about schools bending around the rules. Let's say Michigan offered a player a million in NIL money to come to the school. And they did one autograph signing. Doesn't that constitute a completion of it? Michigan's boosters could just argue they paid him a million for one.

If they just do one, it seems done. I must have missed the talk about players not doing anything.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't see that. Who is getting paid to not show up? Did I miss that somewhere? I asked about schools bending around the rules. Let's say Michigan offered a player a million in NIL money to come to the school. And they did one autograph signing. Doesn't that constitute a completion of it? Michigan's boosters could just argue they paid him a million for one.

If they just do one, it seems done. I must have missed the talk about players not doing anything.

Omg this hurts my head.  If Michigan boosters set it up and do so only if he goes to Michigan that’s a violation.  

Forget about the autographs it’s irrelevant and obviously confusing you. 

So Ohio State and Miami are both offering this kid NIL deals.  Everyone knows this.  Ohio State will now pay out the offered NIL deal and Miami will not.  NIL was used to induce the player to come to Ohio.  This is against ncaa rules.  Selective Outrage. Selective Enforcement