Players refusing to play in Preseason

gopherwrestler

I thought this would be an interesting talking point. Do we think we will start becoming more of a trend as we go on in the next couple years?

I know some people are bothered with it, but I am fine with it, I can see why some of the top players would want to refuse. I actually hate seeing some of the best players ruin a season because of an injury in a meaningless game.

i personally look at preseason as dang near a “minor league” type game for 4 games. Players on the bubble of making or missing roster spots should be the ones with the most time.

here is the first example to come out of this.

First decision OBJ has made that I've ever liked.  I hope more players follow him and I hope this turns into the 2018 offseason controversy.  NFL controversies are 1,000 times better when they're actually about football. 

I really, really, really, really, really, really hope more players pick this as their soapbox issue.  Screw the NFL for preaching safety, then having 4 meaningless preseason games.

Don't give me "players need time to get their bodies ready for NFL games."  Change the CBA to allow simulated games in practice to get players ready.  Have quarterbacks wear red shirts up until the first regular season game. 

16 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

First decision OBJ has made that I've ever liked.  I hope more players follow him and I hope this turns into the 2018 offseason controversy.  NFL controversies are 1,000 times better when they're actually about football. 

I really, really, really, really, really, really hope more players pick this as their soapbox issue.  Screw the NFL for preaching safety, then having 4 meaningless preseason games.

Don't give me "players need time to get their bodies ready for NFL games."  Change the CBA to allow simulated games in practice to get players ready.  Have quarterbacks wear red shirts up until the first regular season game. 

100% agree with this. Like I said I can understand some of the bubble players playing, but the guys that have no threat of not making the roster should not be playing in these games.

Preseason in general is stupid.

How many preseason games do college teams play?  High school?

Why do guys who’ve played both high school and college football successfully without preseason games now need FOUR of them?

Preseaon isn’t about “getting players ready” or “building a roster”, it’s about preseason ticket sales. A fraction of the product at full price.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Honestly I think most players get injured because they aren't practicing in pads enough during the off season. Can't see skipping pre season games helping it. 

Agree with this. 

The non-contact knee injuries suck for sure, but it’s not like that doesn’t happen in practice too. 

Plus, it’s an extremely useful evaluating tool for coaches. Not for the star players obviously, but it’s a part of the game. Not sure how I feel about players taking the stance of “we don’t see the benefits of it, so even if we may be contractually obligated (are they?), we’re not going to participate”.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Preseason in general is stupid.

How many preseason games do college teams play?  High school?

Why do guys who’ve played both high school and college football successfully without preseason games now need FOUR of them?

Preseaon isn’t about “getting players ready” or “building a roster”, it’s about preseason ticket sales. A fraction of the product at full price.

Are you seriously comparing HS to the NFL.  We also had 2 a days in HS something the NFL doesnt have anymore.  

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Are you seriously comparing HS to the NFL.  We also had 2 a days in HS something the NFL doesnt have anymore.  

As far as preparing for the first game of the year? Sure. Why not? You think OBJ forgot how to run a slant over the spring?  

These guys are professionals who have been playing the game for years, decades in most cases, they don’t need a month of scrimages (that most players only play a small portion of) before the games can actually count.

Bless your heart if you think they need that much time.  It’s all about money.  Always has been, always will.  If the league wanted a “better product” or teams more prepared, they’d allow for more contact time with coaches year round, expanded rosters, etc.  

The league wants 4 additional weeks of ticket sales, concession sales, advertising revenue, etc.

Archived