Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

Minor Niner News Thread

Recommended Posts

Joe Staley and Mike McGlinchey doing Karaoke of Backstreet boys....because of course this needs to be posted and everyone must have this in their lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

Joe Staley and Mike McGlinchey doing Karaoke of Backstreet boys....because of course this needs to be posted and everyone must have this in their lives. 

Those two already look like life long best friends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If our OL can gel as much as these two are gelling, we could have something special. I wonder how Richburg is doing. I haven't heard a single word about him throughout the OTAs. No news is good news?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

If our OL can gel as much as these two are gelling, we could have something special. I wonder how Richburg is doing. I haven't heard a single word about him throughout the OTAs. No news is good news?

Until training camp, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leap year? 49ers George Kittle seems poised to make mark in second season

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article212764774.html

Quote

Embree said Kittle's biggest hurdle this offseason involves consistently catching passes away from his body and thus away from the defenders that inevitably will be clinging to him when the ball arrives. "One of the things he's had to learn on our level is, in college football 'open' is wide open," Embree said. "In the NFL at our position I would say that 85 percent of the passes you catch are going to be contested balls with people around you. So he's had to learn, and is still learning, how to play outside of his frame. In other words, playing with his hands away from his body, using his length." Embree thinks each of his top three tight ends – Kittle, Garrett Celek and Cole Hikutini will be bigger red-zone threats this year, especially if Kittle, who had two touchdowns a year ago, masters the art of catching away from his body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rudyZ said:

If our OL can gel as much as these two are gelling, we could have something special. I wonder how Richburg is doing. I haven't heard a single word about him throughout the OTAs. No news is good news?

He can make a huge differenc ein our o-line.  He's borderline pro bowler when healthy. That would be a big upgrade over Kilgore IF he can stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Leap year? 49ers George Kittle seems poised to make mark in second season

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article212764774.html

A little late in the game to be trying to learn to be a hands-catcher. But he's pretty darn athletic. So maybe he can learn that skill.  Would up his game a whole lot if he can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

A little late in the game to be trying to learn to be a hands-catcher. But he's pretty darn athletic. So maybe he can learn that skill.  Would up his game a whole lot if he can do it.

No doubt, but with Garoppolo consistently hitting guys in the chest with the ball, guys who aren't great hands catchers could still catch a lot of passes. 

Vernon Davis showed us that it is a skill you can work on. He hit the jug machines hard and really honed his craft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, N4L said:

No doubt, but with Garoppolo consistently hitting guys in the chest with the ball, guys who aren't great hands catchers could still catch a lot of passes. 

Vernon Davis showed us that it is a skill you can work on. He hit the jug machines hard and really honed his craft. 

Ah. I was thinking Vernon was a great example of how it is difficult to learn to become a hands catcher at this point in your career. The big thing that being a good hands catcher does is expand your catch radius. High, low, ahead of you, behind you - all are possible if you can catch with your hands. From my perspective of VD he had one of the smallest catch radiues of any decent receiver. If it wasn't between his waist and his shoulders and directly at him there was a good chance he wasn't making the catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 6:23 PM, big9erfan said:

Ah. I was thinking Vernon was a great example of how it is difficult to learn to become a hands catcher at this point in your career. The big thing that being a good hands catcher does is expand your catch radius. High, low, ahead of you, behind you - all are possible if you can catch with your hands. From my perspective of VD he had one of the smallest catch radiues of any decent receiver. If it wasn't between his waist and his shoulders and directly at him there was a good chance he wasn't making the catch.

I think Kittle has much better hands than Vernon did already. He’s also a much more fluid athlete imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think Kittle has much better hands than Vernon did already. He’s also a much more fluid athlete imo.

Much more fluid, for sure, but obviously not quite the straight line speed. VD was so unbelievably stiff...easily one of the most stiff athletes I have ever seen. And yeah, I do think that Kittle has better hands for the most part, but that is not exactly something to put on your resume. It's kind of like being the second best quarterback in the AFC east between 2010 - 2018 lol. 

It's kind of crazy to think about how long it's been since we have had a reliable, sure handed tight end. I mean seriously, who was the last one, Eric Johnson? VD, drop issues. Delanie had drop issues and wasn't super sure handed. Vance. Celek isn't what I'd call surehanded, and he was dreadful with the drops 2 years ago, though last year he only had 1 drop in 33 targets, I believe. That being said, he's not making the tough catches either. Kittle had drop issues last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 5:23 PM, big9erfan said:

Ah. I was thinking Vernon was a great example of how it is difficult to learn to become a hands catcher at this point in your career. The big thing that being a good hands catcher does is expand your catch radius. High, low, ahead of you, behind you - all are possible if you can catch with your hands. From my perspective of VD he had one of the smallest catch radiues of any decent receiver. If it wasn't between his waist and his shoulders and directly at him there was a good chance he wasn't making the catch.

My point was that Vernon improved over the course of his career. He was never a natural receiver, but I believe it was during the off-season between year 2 and 3 that he spent an exorborant amount of time catching balls from the jugs machine before and after practices and I thought it showed on the field. There was improvement, however marginal it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think Kittle has much better hands than Vernon did already. He’s also a much more fluid athlete imo.

Yes to both of these

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a recent article about an interview with Terrell Owens that happened this past April with 49ers beat reporter Matt Maiocco from his podcast. This just came on in podcast form a couple of days ago. It was released early actually, since Owens said he wasn't going to the HOF ceremony. It was planned to be released later on. Most of it is about his time with the 49ers. Maiocco later on asks Owens about why he still has bitter feelings towards the organization. 

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/116544-terrell-owens-explains-reasons-behind-bitterness-toward-49ers/#fb-comments

As a 49ers fan, I could see why Owens was a little agitated by some of things that happened as he explained them from his side of the story. At the same time, some if it I think he really needs to just get over it. I remembered what Shannon Sharpe said like a week or two ago regarding Owens. If he feels you have wronged him, he will never forgive you in any capacity. Some of this stuff happened 15 or 20 years ago, and on the surface he just seems really bitter about it. 

Also, a couple of times while listening he did come off as diva-like in his comments. Especially when talking about Moss getting a tryout with the 49ers over him in 2012, as if the 49ers owed it to him to give him a tryout. 

All that being said, great player. Deserved to be a first ballot HOF player. Maybe though, it's just Owens' world and we're all living in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't you know?! The whole world owes TO just because he exists! C'mon, get with the entitlement movement! 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×