Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Honestly, if he hasn't gotten a head coaching gig yet, the probability of him getting one now is slim to none.

Time to move on from those hopes. 

He has the Bears defense playing at an above average level and it's not like they are super talented or anything. I bet he would get similar results with our defense, if not better. 

A strong DC next to a young HC is ideal. Young HC with a young DC is kind of suspect.

2 hours ago, N4L said:

@NcFinest9erFan I posted about this a few weeks ago. If Fangio is available, you do not pass him up. He is one of the top 3-5 DCs in the game. 

This still befuddles me that people here think he's one of the top 3-5 DCs in the game, when he's had only 6 of his 18 defenses finish as high as 10, let alone 3 or 5. In fact, he's had 6 defenses each in the top 3rd, middle 3rd, and bottom 3rd of the league. 

Vic Fangio is an average defensive coordinator, of which average might be better than Saleh, but I will never understand this particular love affair. 

I think its about what he did when he was here. Those defenses we had were talented, yes, but he also consistently put our players in the right spot. Very detail oriented guy who really broke down tendencies and had good playcalls. He was highly regarded as a teacher, a guy who made players understand why he was doing certain things rather than just telling them to do so. His scheme was pretty well rounded to where he was able to disguise a lot of looks and move guys around.  

Then he went to chicago who had a terrible defense, and has made them serviceable. They haven't played their best ball recently, but they have had some nice games against good opponents. 

Also isnt there a gap in his DC experience? I know he was at Stanford for a few years with Harbaugh, not sure where he was directly before that. But it IS possible that being away from the NFL for a couple years made him adjust his coaching style and improve upon his "average" resume as you say. 

I know this may be a strange concept to our resident statistician, but numbers aren't everything. :D

As I stated before, Kyle seems to want to work with this guy. At this point thats about all of the endorsement I need

7 hours ago, N4L said:

@NcFinest9erFan I posted about this a few weeks ago. If Fangio is available, you do not pass him up. He is one of the top 3-5 DCs in the game. 

The rumor was that Kyle was going to be Fangio's OC if Fangio was hired as our HC after Harbaugh left. Kyle also tried to hire Fangio for DC last year but the Bears denied our interview request. I think its obvious that the mutual respect is there and that both guys want to work together.  

I DO know that he wants to be a head coach at some point, not sure how that changes things.

What was the name of our secondary coach who left with Fangio to Chicago? I remember there were rumors he was a DC in waiting. 

It makes no sense from a personnel perspective. Lynch has spent a year trying find the right personnel for Saleh's scheme, only to gut it and go with something completely different? That puts us further behind the 8-Ball from a personnel perspective and creates even more holes. A CB that excells in Saleh's scheme wont necessarily be ideal for Fangio. The interior D-Line players would have to be revamped. LBs too. That's alot of reshuffling going on when you have alot holes on offense already to try and adress.

Fangio would have been ideal intially but I think its just too quick to change schemes yet again. Heck, you probably keep Bow if you know your going back to a 3-4 in a year. I dont see it happening. And it sucks because I really didnt want to change from the 3-4 to begin with but now that we have, just have to give the new scheme time to bear fruit. 

Edited by 757-NINER

Don't know anything about Lokombo, but Stribling is an interesting guy. Good size and length, which we know is what we want. I viewed him as strictly a zone guy though coming out. He doesn't have the strength to jam consistently in a press man scheme, and I don't think that he's fast or quick enough to be truly successful in man, though slower corners have worked. 

Intereesting about  McNichols. He's decently fast for a RB.  NOt nearly as fast as Mostert.  But if he's hungry enough to look good he might be OK on ST. More likely he'll just be our emergency RB in case of injury to Hyde or Breida.  I'd love to see him get some snaps though as I'd love to see what he can do. If Hyde decides to leave and neither Williams nor McNichols is any goo then we're going to have to add a RB in the offseason.  Hyde leaving is one scenario where I'd consider Barkley - but still not at 2.

Missed opportunity now to call this the "Miner News Thread". 

Anyways, remember J.T. O'Sullivan? There is a short doc piece by NFL Films that recently came out regarding his strange journey from college through the NFL. Even though he wasn't that good for us, I thought this was interesting.

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Anyone know the corresponding roster move? I'm guessing Bolden to IR?

That would be my guess as well. Honestly it's a smart move regardless of the player. If you like someone on someone else's practice squad and someone on our current roster has a minor injury, IR them and steal yourself a player for next year.