Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

On 11/2/2018 at 12:35 PM, Forge said:

Mostert to IR following last nights game. Obviously expected, but damn, sucks for him. 

Hopefully we re-sign him and bring him back next year. 

At least Moseley got into a game, I guess? 

On STs, not actually on defense which I was interested in seeing.

After the bye week we need to start implementing Moore and Pettis in the rotation. I don't know exactly how, but I want to see them get some time. 

6 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Makes sense. Great fit at SAM and i can understand him picking the Falcons over us to finish the year.

apparently he had higher offers from both NE and PIT but chose ATL... he is from ATL and they run the same scheme that hes been in basically his whole career. NE and PIT are both 3-4 teams. 

"There was a proposed 2018 season opener between the Rams and the San Francisco 49ers in China. That was cancelled before the season, with an eye toward having it played in 2019 as part of the league’s 100-year anniversary celebration. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been bullish on China."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-must-learn-rams-vs-chiefs-blunder-mexico-city-future-international-games-043426810.html

did anyone else hear about this? We were supposed to open the season in China? That sounds horrible because we wouldn't have a bye week 2 and would be at a huge disadvantage

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

did anyone else hear about this? We were supposed to open the season in China? That sounds horrible because we wouldn't have a bye week 2 and would be at a huge disadvantage

Had not heard about it, and yes, that would be remarkably taxing on the team. Like most things, there is nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Hope it doesn't happen though. 

16 hours ago, N4L said:

"There was a proposed 2018 season opener between the Rams and the San Francisco 49ers in China. That was cancelled before the season, with an eye toward having it played in 2019 as part of the league’s 100-year anniversary celebration. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been bullish on China."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-must-learn-rams-vs-chiefs-blunder-mexico-city-future-international-games-043426810.html

Heard about that a while ago. Wasn't sure if it was still in the cards. I actually might be able to attend that game since I live in Macau. It would depend where it's been held in China. 

Having taken the flight from San Francisco to this part of the world many times, it would be a long arse flight. It feels like the 49ers and Rams would almost certainly have to have their bye week during the second week of the season if the game was in week one. But then you're playing every single week like the old days after that. Maybe if they had the game during the middle of the season, and then go into the bye after that. 

Edited by PapaShogun

How many right tackles have successfully transitioned to left tackle? Should we assume Staley’s heir apparent is already playing on the o-line? — Luis A.

I don’t have a number for you, but I can tell you that the 49ers’ long-term plan is for Mike McGlinchey to become the team’s left tackle and for the 49ers to develop a right tackle of the future. Right now, they hope Shon Coleman, a healthy scratch in every game this season, becomes that guy. He’ll be someone to watch in next year’s offseason.

From Matt Barrows mailbag.

Interesting, so they seem to think Coleman may have potential to be our RT of the future. Granted, it may not matter as Staley can play for another two or three seasons and who knows if Coleman will still be on the team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Heard about that a while ago. Wasn't sure if it was still in the cards. I actually might be able to attend that game since I live in Macau. It would depend where it's been held in China. 

Having taken the flight from San Francisco to this part of the world many times, it would be a long arse flight. It feels like the 49ers and Rams would almost certainly have to have their bye week during the second week of the season if the game was in week one. But then you're playing every single week like the old days after that. Maybe if they had the game during the middle of the season, and then go into the bye after that. 

If the NFL wants to play international games and grow the game, they should just have the Superbowl in China, or Brazil, South Africa or Cana... wait no... the Canary Islands don't have a big enough stadium.

In terms of DVOA, we are the 18th ranked defense and the 27th ranked offense in the league. I think defensively that seems about right. A bit below average, but mostly okay. Offensively though? Damn, that is not good. But what I don't get is how they have us ranked 22nd in the terms of run offense. We surely have been better than that this season. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

In terms of DVOA, we are the 18th ranked defense and the 27th ranked offense in the league. I think defensively that seems about right. A bit below average, but mostly okay. Offensively though? Damn, that is not good. But what I don't get is how they have us ranked 22nd in the terms of run offense. We surely have been better than that this season. 

Turnovers must be heavily factored into that formula. 

We are better than the 22nd best rushing offense, that is for certain

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Seeing how unthreatening our passing game has been for most of the season, it makes our run game that much more impressive. I feel like we've been a top 5 rushing team, and we haven't even seen what McKinnon could add to that.

43 minutes ago, N4L said:

Turnovers must be heavily factored into that formula. 

We are better than the 22nd best rushing offense, that is for certain

That is true, we have had quite a  bit of fumbles. Maybe skewed running stats in certain games against bad defenses? 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That is true, we have had quite a  bit of fumbles. Maybe skewed running stats in certain games against bad defenses? 

Definitely. Then a game like Detroit gets somewhat negated because I think runs of over 20 yards arent weighed as favorably in the formula. Basically an 80 yard run counts about the same as a 20 yard run... and breida had some 20+ yard runs