Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

The Athletic did their halfway point all-rookie team.

Nick Bosa - The obvious choice for best Edge Rusher. Also essentially named best rookie overall. 

Justin Skule - Runner up for Tackle

Mitch Wishnowsky - Honorable mention for Punter.

Not a bad showing given that only two of our other rookies have played (for us).

By the way, if you don't subscribe to The Athletic, this would be a great week to sign up for the free trial. There is an excellent film breakdown of Nick Bosa in the Panthers game by Ted Nguyen that somehow makes him look even better. The Panthers chose to double team him on 13 of his 42 snaps and he was still an unstoppable monster. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Aaron Donald ranked 1st in all of these categories in 2018. If Bosa kept this pace up all season. He'd be an All-Pro, Pro-Bowler, DRoY, and on the shortlist for DPoY.

As someone that put a hefty sum on him to win DROY, what are the chances he wins DPOY and then they give the DROY award to someone else instead? 

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Soon to be DROY and.........dare I say DPOY???

Just looking at his competition, most that have cases are now either hurt (Watt), or on bad teams (Garrett/Barrett/Jones). Donald will have his usual stats by seasons end but don't think he will be voted DPOY. So then you have guys like the Smith brothers in GB, Jordan, Hunter, Collins, Gilmore, Van Noy etc.

Not that crazy to think he is one of the favorites to be DPOY.........Though I still think Armstead has been our best defender.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

:x

Just crown him already!

He has 7 sacks, but he doesn't have 8... or 9... 

So I don't know. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic in saying that this season probably isn't going to convince me that he's legit. 

Just sayin', guys... just sayin'.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Don't forget, Bosa was cheated out of a sack against the Browns when Baker's knee was down before letting go of the ball. As well as the missed sacks against the Bucs when he had a bum ankle. 

Also missed a few against Pitt, one that Buckner cleaned up.

But he also cleaned up Buckner's missed sack last week. Even mentioned how we keep cleaning up the others missed sacks lol. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Also missed a few against Pitt, one that Buckner cleaned up.

But he also cleaned up Buckner's missed sack last week. Even mentioned how we keep cleaning up the others missed sacks lol. 

I'm just hoping like hell that Bosa stays healthy and Ford stays healthy enough to finish the season.

Not exactly "minor" news, but...

Looks like we have to work with what we have. Also, a real shame. The team has been very patient with guys with a lot of injury concerns, but this is now basically two lost seasons to injury for Taylor. Last year he tried to fight through the back injury and didn't miss a lot of games, but it clearly derailed his year 2.

Probably could have used one or the other.