Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I just dont understand why they chose to only do the 'away' unis tho. I dont like us wearing white@home personally. And those '94 home jerseys are just flat out better looking imo...

Agreed all around. I don't like monochromatic uniforms, in general, though I will say I VASTLY prefer the all-whites to the all-blacks. Those make me want to go blind. 

I do love the '94 throwback throwbacks, though. Our guys would look great in these: 

20080926_084508_steveyoung.jpg?w=400

20100804_115604_rice.jpg?w=369

9ff31977280094cc6f771d5b90f53b09--americ

Image result for Bryant Young

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I think he's better against the run than Spoon and he's definitely a better tackler. That in itself, to go along with his coverage skills is why I'm not as certain as some that Spoon automatically gets his job back when he's healthy...

Well, I mean since Spoon won't return until Seattle, it is a real possibility the team sticks with Moseley.

But there hasn't been one OL to hold up against our pass rush since Moseley has taken over. That was the complete opposite against TB and Pitt, and in the first half against Cincy. It will be interesting to see how Moseley does when a QB does have time. That is what made Spoon's play so impressive. He got targeted a bunch every game, and partly because our pass rush wasn't nearly as good as it is now (Ford/Bosa are healthier), and he was flat out giving up NOTHING for the most part. Was singled up against Evans, Boyd, Godwin, Juju and was locking it up and getting his hands on the ball more than the WR did. He allowed five catches in three games while having four PDs and INT. That's RIDICULOUSLY good. Again, all while not having this type of pass rush success. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Really has. I was a big fan of his coming into the season unlike @John232 who was ready to get rid of him at TC lol. 

Going away from the single high scheme and having a legitimate pass rush has done wonders for the secondary. No more busted coverages which was more than anything the biggest problem last season. 

I wasn't a fan of his last year either. I was hoping either Reed or Moseley would push him off the depth chart but he has been very good this year. Have to give credit where its due...

And its not so much as we stopped running single-high as much as we don't run nearly as much of it. And Saleh has also mixed in some pattern-matching zone...which I think may have been influenced by Woods. Its been a welcomed sight. 

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I wasn't a fan of his last year either. I was hoping either Reed or Moseley would push him off the depth chart but he has been very good this year. Have to give credit where its due...

And its not so much as we stopped running single-high as much as we don't run nearly as much of it. And Saleh has also mixed in some pattern-matching zone...which I think may have been influenced by Woods. Its been a welcomed sight. 

I mean it is the same thing, we don't implement nearly as much. And yes, I love pattern-matching coverage. That's actually what happened on Boyd's big catch against us where PFF credited the catch give up to Spoon when it should have been Williams. 

Williams was good last year as he is every season. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, I mean since Spoon won't return until Seattle, it is a real possibility the team sticks with Moseley.

But there hasn't been one OL to hold up against our pass rush since Moseley has taken over. That was the complete opposite against TB and Pitt, and in the first half against Cincy. It will be interesting to see how Moseley does when a QB does have time. That is what made Spoon's play so impressive. He got targeted a bunch every game, and partly because our pass rush wasn't nearly as good as it is now (Ford/Bosa are healthier), and he was flat out giving up NOTHING for the most part. Was singled up against Evans, Boyd, Godwin, Juju and was locking it up and getting his hands on the ball more than the WR did. He allowed five catches in three games while having four PDs and INT. That's RIDICULOUSLY good. Again, all while not having this type of pass rush success. 

I agree. I'm loving Moseley's play, but you're right. Witherspoon was absolutely shutdown while being targeted a ton. Part of me thinks that he was being targeted a bunch because teams were still thinking they were the 2018 defense where you target everyone else but Sherman because everyone else is bad. But then the defense started dominating and now teams are like "Hey, I have 1.5 seconds to throw this ball before at least 4 defenders are engulfing me, so whoever I see, I'm throwing the ball to, regardless of coverage." Teams don't have the luxury of choosing who to attack anymore. It's just get the ball out and pray now.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, I totally get that Spoon was ballin'. He was the best CB in football before he got hurt (or like top 3). 

But Spoon wasn't and has never been great in the run game. Especially when he's play-side. I understand he's a CB and that's not something we really look at when we judge CBs. But when you're going against the more mobile/running QBs we'll be facing like Wilson and Jackson, you have to have all 11 defenders be sound against the run. His physicality against ball-carriers, even against WRs who turn into ball-carriers after-the-catch is still a work in progress. 

I just really like what I've seen from Moseley. There is no fear, no backing down. No timidness or uncertainty. He sees it and he goes...very sure of himself and he's abilities. I think he's just scratching the surface, which is scary to think about.

I would give the job back to Witherspoon when he's healthy (and rotate as necessary). Players shouldn't lose their job due to injury. We know it happens, but they shouldn't, especially when they were playing great football at the time of the injury (as Witherspoon was). That sort of thing can create rifts, and part of the magic of this team is their chemistry. Don't mess with that - make Witherspoon lose the job on the field (which I'm very doubtful would happen, so Moseley just has to wait a season and a half to get his job back when Sherman leaves). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree. I'm loving Moseley's play, but you're right. Witherspoon was absolutely shutdown while being targeted a ton. Part of me thinks that he was being targeted a bunch because teams were still thinking they were the 2018 defense where you target everyone else but Sherman because everyone else is bad. But then the defense started dominating and now teams are like "Hey, I have 1.5 seconds to throw this ball before at least 4 defenders are engulfing me, so whoever I see, I'm throwing the ball to, regardless of coverage." Teams don't have the luxury of choosing who to attack anymore. It's just get the ball out and pray now.

I mean the Browns game really shook up the league in terms of how they viewed our pass rush and defense in general. That is when Bosa FINALLY got healthy after the bye week and Ford started getting healthier and we just destroyed Baker. Then the following week, McVay called damn near nothing but screens early on to try to slow our pass rush down. Then when he didn't call screens, our pass rush had Goff spooked and it was an easy game. Then we played the Redskins and they barely passed the ball....for good reasons of course since the conditions were terrible. And then we had yesterday where our defense had seven sacks and Allen had no chance. The Steelers OL and Bucs OL held up as well as you could and our corners got tested. Hasn't happened since then minus the Browns game in the first half where Sherman was playing a bit too soft and Baker kept going at him.

So this isn't to knock Moseley at all since he's been great, but completely different situation compared to the first three weeks. Spoon was legitimately playing at an top 5 CB in the league level while being targeted 5-6 times every game. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

No, I totally get that Spoon was ballin'. He was the best CB in football before he got hurt (or like top 3). 

But Spoon wasn't and has never been great in the run game. Especially when he's play-side. I understand he's a CB and that's not something we really look at when we judge CBs. But when you're going against the more mobile/running QBs we'll be facing like Wilson and Jackson, you have to have all 11 defenders be sound against the run. His physicality against ball-carriers, even against WRs who turn into ball-carriers after-the-catch is still a work in progress. 

I just really like what I've seen from Moseley. There is no fear, no backing down. No timidness or uncertainty. He sees it and he goes...very sure of himself and he's abilities. I think he's just scratching the surface, which is scary to think about.

I think Spoon was just fine this year in the run game though, and was a willing tackler. Had a bunch of nice stops around the LOS. And his most physical game as Shanahan put it was against the Steelers.

But the defense is rolling right now and sometimes this is just how it goes. Very well the best corner on this team could be the one outside looking in. I just hope it doesn't kill his confidence as he was rolling and emerging. Like this was his breakout and he was about to become a real legitimate force. 

Good problem to have though if Moseley or Spoon are the back up corners. 

• Like 1

Don't know how true, but...

I'd do this in a heartbeat. CJ is not needed. Gabriel is another guy who knows the system. Sanders/Deebo/Gabriel is a winning WR corps with this roster. The fact that Goodwin, Pettis, Bourne, and James would just be reserves would be a great thing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'd do this in a heartbeat. CJ is not needed. Gabriel is another guy who knows the system. Sanders/Deebo/Gabriel is a winning WR corps with this roster. The fact that Goodwin, Pettis, Bourne, and James would just be reserves would be a great thing. 

My only question would be regarding his contract. Seems like the Bears gave him a pretty sizable deal if I remember correctly. He’d certainly fill the role Trent Taylor was supposed to well though.

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Not to mention that whatever is going on with Goodwin, if he has to miss time or games, the speed skillset is still on the roster. Im all for it...

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

My only question would be regarding his contract. Seems like the Bears gave him a pretty sizable deal if I remember correctly. He’d certainly fill the role Trent Taylor was supposed to well though.

about 5.5 next year, 6.5 the year after. 

Sort of meh if they make that deal. We'd be on the hook this year for probably 3 million. I suppose he is better at what he does than Richie James, but I don't think the difference is enough to to take on the cap. 

• Like 1