Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Why in the world would we re-work it? His base + bonuses are 5.5 mllion, which is insanely low. I'm assuming that they are actually talking about potentially extending him for another year or two. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Why in the world would we re-work it? His base + bonuses are 5.5 mllion, which is insanely low. I'm assuming that they are actually talking about potentially extending him for another year or two. 

Yes, and giving him more money in the next two seasons. Quite frankly, he deserves it as he is still playing top notch ball. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would sign him either way as he was a big part of a really solid Special Teams group. He can't possibly cost so much to make it prohibitive to cut him when we drop to 53.

Although, to be fair, I'd have thought the same about Gilliam.

Maybe they're waiting for results on his surgery? Labrum? Maybe we don't re-sign him at all if it's negative, sign him only to a one year deal if it's uncertain, or sign him to a two or three year deal if he checks out? I don't know.

8 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I thought this quote could be quite telling: " Where people make mistakes is when they say, ‘We need a big tall red zone target like Julio,’ and then you go pay everyone else in the world who I can promise you isn’t Julio. Now you can’t go get a tight end. You can’t go get a guard. Yeah, you’ve got that big guy, but it’s got to be the right guy. … You don’t go, ‘Hey we need a big guy.’ No, we need good receivers. They come in all shapes and sizes.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

7wcpc_by_rainrivermusic-d7csf1n.gif

See, if they really feel this way, or if they are unsure if they are going to re-sign him (they should at least start negotiations), he should be traded. He has value. I don't see a reason why you're not getting a good pick or a couple of decent picks back for him. Cash in on that value he's built if you have no interest in him in the long term. There's no reason to let it play out on the last year of his deal. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

See, if they really feel this way, or if they are unsure if they are going to re-sign him (they should at least start negotiations), he should be traded. He has value. I don't see a reason why you're not getting a good pick or a couple of decent picks back for him. Cash in on that value he's built if you have no interest in him in the long term. There's no reason to let it play out on the last year of his deal. 

Agreed. I like Brown and think he would be a logical successor to Joe at LT but it does seem that Shanny and Lynch are not big on Brown. I really hope we don’t end up just letting him walk, there are a number of teams that could use tackle help and we’ve got a young guy with premier pass-pro skills. 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

Agreed. I like Brown and think he would be a logical successor to Joe at LT but it does seem that Shanny and Lynch are not big on Brown. I really hope we don’t end up just letting him walk, there are a number of teams that could use tackle help and we’ve got a young guy with premier pass-pro skills. 

Exactly. Theoretically, both Philly and NE may have needs at tackle. We could package brown and our 2 to get pick 31/32 maybe. Could replace Brown for Kolton Miller (probably a better fit in Shanny's scheme) right off the bat, or draft another position of need. Or grab like a 2 and a 5 or something. But he's got more value than a comp pick, that's for sure. And since I'm not fully bullish on this season as a whole, I'd rather draft a guy, left him work thorugh his rookie struggles this year, then get the improved version in 2019 when I really think we are primed as contenders. We could trade him to Philly for Curry and a piece, I'm good with that as well. He's on a 7th year rookie deal, the cap hit is no problem even for Philly.