Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The crappy part for us is that we can really only offer him a role player role. We could maybe offer the most money, but not really the best situation if he wants to re-establish value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

Signing Cut players are the best because of compensation picks. Thats what I think most of our targets will be aside from a few non cut FA's. Just a hunch. 

The problem with that logic is that we will have actually had to lose a significant free agent to get a comp pick. There has been an unprecedented amount of moves made this offseason, yet Reid and Hyde are both still available. I cant imagine either signing big contracts

46 minutes ago, N4L said:

The problem with that logic is that we will have actually had to lose a significant free agent to get a comp pick. There has been an unprecedented amount of moves made this offseason, yet Reid and Hyde are both still available. I cant imagine either signing big contracts

Makes sense! Forgot about that part ?

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

You know I can't really buy these reports of us being interested in folks. Since our new regime is really tight lipped.

I think a lot of it comes from agents looking to drive up the price of their client, not from within our fo itself. 

• Like 1

OK. Time for me to stand up and applaud our FO.  Of course we don't know how their moves will work out, but right now I think they've done everything right.  First and foremost locked in Jimmy. I'd consider applauding just for that move. But I wanted them to sign a couple of really solid starters who had a chance to be pro bowlers and then maybe another player or two that can plug a hole.  We got  Sherman who can not only be a probowler but even has a chance to be All Pro. I love Richburg and think he has pro bowl potential.  SO there's the two really good guys I wanted. And McKinnon is the perfect example of the kind off guy I wanted to plug a hole.  We needed a RB and got a guy that is probably the best fit out there for Shanny's style of offense.

The more holes we plug the more I'm thinking we can afford to take a shot at a pass rusher at 9.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

There are likely to be no (worthy) pass rushers available @ #9. I certainly can't find any. Yes, I am grumpy about that. :S

That was my point. I think everyone has Landry and Davvenport in the teens or very worst low 20s. That's not far off from 9. They always say about QBs that if you love a guy well enough to take him in the 20's that means you think  he can become your franchise QB. In that case you might just as well take him at 9. That's kind of the philosophy KC used with Mahomes. Given how important a stud pass rusher is maybe you do that with that position too. FWIW daniel Jeremiah is pretty solid in his evaluations and he has Davenport number 10 on his big board and also has him going at 13 in his latest mock. That doesn't make an overly big reach to take him at 9.

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

It made a lot of sense. 8.5 million isn't his value, but 8.5 million with this year's cap space for one year to get to get to evaluate him is a good idea. My hope is that he takes K'Waun Williams out of nickel corner.

So since this FO has taken over we've added  three RBs (McKinnon, Breida and Williams) that run 4.4 flat, a safety that runs 4.4 flat, a TE that runs 4.5, a wr that runs 4.3, and a pretty fast LB. We also just added one of the smaller o-line guys in the league, but a guy that happens to be extremely quick and agile for an o-lineman. I always hated Baalke's preference for size and power over speed, quickness and agility. I'm finally get what I want in the way of speed.

FWIW I seriously think O'Neill will appeal to our FO as an OT prospect if he lasts till our second pick. He can sit behind Staley for a couple year and then step in and take over with just the same kind of play.

Edit: Forgot to mention we added a gunner/returner who runs 4.3

Edited by big9erfan