Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

22 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm not sure if this was a counter to my argument or not, but I think "once in the last decade" qualifies as "rare" to me.

Not to mention Jared Allen had off the field issues too at the time of the trade, which lowered his value.

25 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I grew up with Matt Tobin. He lived in a small farming community outside of my city, so I competed against him in basketball and football a lot. I used to bully his arse in both because he was huge but quite soft even through high school. Then he got to Iowa and Chris Doyle (S&C coach) got his hands on him and turned his flab into muscle. Next thing you know he is playing for the Niners. Strange world.

DARE YOU TO TRY TO BULLY HIM NOW!!!! Lol 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't know if this is even worth posting, but whatever. A while ago Jimmy G signed with Nike as one of their new promotional athletes. 

Apparently, he's set to debut some new kicks against the Vikings in week 1. 

Actually he signed with Jordan Brand, not Nike. It was kind of a big deal for him, as he's from the Chicago area and said he grew up idolizing MJ so kudos to him. 

27 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So with Tobin signed, are we moving Coleman to OG? Because I really believe that's where he needs to play tbh...

No. Gilliam is still in concussion protocol, and I don't know that there is an indication on when he's going to be ready. I'm actually starting to wonder if he doesn't end up on IR. Coleman has never played guard, so I think he's the official swing tackle while Tobin would play inside with some versatility to play tackle. 

If the man has been in concussion protocol since August 9, good chance he doesn't play all this season. That is pretty rare for someone to be in concussion protocol for that long. Heck, he may contemplate retiring for good if it is that serious.

Now compare it to Foster who was in concussion protocol after a Saturday game against the Colts and then on the field against the Chargers. SMH. What a stupid decision to let him play. The team just wanted him to get some time before his suspension but they shouldn't have played him.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

No. Gilliam is still in concussion protocol, and I don't know that there is an indication on when he's going to be ready. I'm actually starting to wonder if he doesn't end up on IR. Coleman has never played guard, so I think he's the official swing tackle while Tobin would play inside with some versatility to play tackle. 

But Tobin has played primarily OT his entire career correct? I figured he would be the guy we lean on first, given his experience. Coleman to me, seems more like a project than a guy capable of getting meaniful snaps as the swing tackle. Kinda like Pita last year. Though he made the 53, he was pretty much viewed as a project who might contribute here or there on STs if injuires occurred but was looked at as being groomed as a pass-rusher/SAM. I mean I could very well be wrong about Coleman but listening to some Browns fans, he seems like a really raw talent, who's game needs real refinement. 

It seems more likely that with Gilliam's injury, they may be inclined to move Person over to RT if anything happened to either Staley or McG for these first few weeks. Person has played some tackle sparingly. But having both Tobin and Coleman in the fold for only a week, doesn't seem like nearly enough time for either to be counted on if either OT went down vs Minny or Detriot at least.

Edited by 757-NINER

51 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Now compare it to Foster who was in concussion protocol after a Saturday game against the Colts and then on the field against the Chargers. SMH. What a stupid decision to let him play. The team just wanted him to get some time before his suspension but they shouldn't have played him.

Meh, each concussion is different for different players. Some are more severe than others. Most guys are ready after a week. I remember each one of Eric Reid's concussions he was ready the next week so I see nothing wrong with letting Foster play if he passed protocol. 

Then you have instances like Anthony Davis where he gets his first and only concussion but the effects lingered so long and we're so bad that he ended up retiring because it scared him that much. Each one is unique to that particular player. 

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

But Tobin has played primarily OT his entire career correct? I figured he would be the guy we lean on first, given his experience. Coleman to me, seems more like a project than a guy capable of getting meaniful snaps as the swing tackle. Kinda like Pita last year. Though he made the 53, he was pretty much viewed as a project who might contribute here or there on STs if injuires occurred but was looked at as being groomed as a pass-rusher/SAM. I mean I could very well be wrong about Coleman but listening to some Browns fans, he seems like a really raw talent, who's game needs real refinement. 

It seems more likely that with Gilliam's injury, they may be inclined to move Person over to RT if anything happened to either Staley or McG for these first few weeks. Person has played some tackle sparingly. But having both Tobin and Coleman in the fold for only a week, doesn't seem like nearly enough time for either to be counted on if either OT went down vs Minny or Detriot at least.

Both Tobin and Coleman are OT. Coleman started all games at RT last year for the Browns and they wanted to move him to LT this year but he pretty much stunk it up there. 

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, each concussion is different for different players. Some are more severe than others. Most guys are ready after a week. I remember each one of Eric Reid's concussions he was ready the next week so I see nothing wrong with letting Foster play if he passed protocol. 

Then you have instances like Anthony Davis where he gets his first and only concussion but the effects lingered so long and we're so bad that he ended up retiring because it scared him that much. Each one is unique to that particular player. 

Regardless, in this situation you shouldn't even think of playing Foster after four days. That's just terrible. Even if he passed concussion protocol, you hold him out and don't risk it. A bad short sided move by the team.