Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Eh, he's a gym rat who doesn't spend enough time on film study.  One read and run QB, no thank you.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:46 PM, PapaShogun said:

I thought Stevie Johnson was going to help us. Whoops. 

In my opinion, both of these things tie directly into the coaching staff. For as great of a leader of men Jim Harbaugh is, he's just not very talented as an x's and o's coach. Kaep was a very raw talent, but definitely had the talent to be a good QB. Having Harbaugh and Roman as his mentors did him no favors. Same goes for Stevie Johnson, Crabtree, and every WR drafted during that time. The infrastructure to cultivate talent just wasn't there. Harbaugh relied so heavily on already-proven talent, basic smash-mount plays, and his superior O-line and defense. These components got him a lot of wins, but I felt like there were so many times that he was flat out out-coached by opposing staffs. He brought very limited creativity and when opposing teams figured him out (Seahawks), he couldn't figure out how to adjust. 

Looking back on the Harbaugh days, it reminds me of a super-size gym bro who could out-muscle most people but could never out-think anyone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

In my opinion, both of these things tie directly into the coaching staff. For as great of a leader of men Jim Harbaugh is, he's just not very talented as an x's and o's coach. Kaep was a very raw talent, but definitely had the talent to be a good QB. Having Harbaugh and Roman as his mentors did him no favors. Same goes for Stevie Johnson, Crabtree, and every WR drafted during that time. The infrastructure to cultivate talent just wasn't there. Harbaugh relied so heavily on already-proven talent, basic smash-mount plays, and his superior O-line and defense. These components got him a lot of wins, but I felt like there were so many times that he was flat out out-coached by opposing staffs. He brought very limited creativity and when opposing teams figured him out (Seahawks), he couldn't figure out how to adjust. 

Looking back on the Harbaugh days, it reminds me of a super-size gym bro who could out-muscle most people but could never out-think anyone. 

And it's showing up in Ann Arbor, too. He's out coached regularly.

26 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And it's showing up in Ann Arbor, too. He's out coached regularly.

For real. Michigan will get exposed soon enough. I don't think they're legit this year, but they do have some studs on that defense, though. Harbaugh gets by with dominating defenses and average, good-enough offenses. 

6 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

For real. Michigan will get exposed soon enough. I don't think they're legit this year, but they do have some studs on that defense, though. Harbaugh gets by with dominating defenses and average, good-enough offenses. 

Yep. He has little or nothing to do with the D so they are very good. His offensive scheme sucks as bad at Michigan as it did here.  He runs a team in way that lets them beat the teams they are supposed to beat (and that means most teams as long as his team has a lot of talent), but can never do anything special when needed to get over on the really good teams.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Yep. He has little or nothing to do with the D so they are very good. His offensive scheme sucks as bad at Michigan as it did here.  He runs a team in way that lets them beat the teams they are supposed to beat (and that means most teams as long as his team has a lot of talent), but can never do anything special when needed to get over on the really good teams.

I remember when he left the team, I posted in another forum that I wasn't all that broken up about it and that I never saw Harbaugh as a coach that could bring us #6 and I got crucified for it. Harbaugh is a good coach. Better than most but as a former QB, I found his approach to passing offense rather rudimentary. I still think college is more akin to his wheelhouse as a leader of men approach. And I do feel he will find success at Michigan. But i feel like his stubbornness to evolve his offense would ultimately be his downfall in the pros. Once DCs figured out his running game and the the read-option, he couldn't adapt the scheme. You can't out-physical everyone. Sometimes you have to scheme ways to go around, under, and over ppl. I failed to see him do that in his time here. 

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Wow. I know absolutely nothing about him.

I think it was obvious that I was hoping for Kikaha. :S

I think if were looking for more of a Leo-type, Kikaha would make sense but we're more in the market for a SAM. Garvin played SAM for Seattle last year and was 'ok'. He knows the scheme and is better from a coverage standpoint than Nzeocha, who I'm not really a fan of, especially in coverage. 

If we could ever get Malcolm Smith to play a meaningful snap on Sundays, our LB corps could be scary good. Warner could slide over to SAM and more than likely Foster plays MIKE. Smith at WILL would allow our three best LBs to see the field. I think our future is Foster@WILL and Warner in the middle and maybe draft our future SAM next year. But as the roster stands now, I think having Lee@WILL, Foster@MIKE when he returns, and Warner@SAM is our next best option. Coyle is a STs player. He shouldn't be anywhere near the two-deep IMO. He's not the worst LB in the world but he just doesn't have the range/cover skills to really be competitive in the modern NFL. I'd rather give Lee a shot@WILL than to see Coyle in the middle of the field, missing tackles, a step late filling rushing lanes, and a step behind in coverage. Garvin could allow Warner to stay@SAM but he's no world beater. He could surprise but he was on the street for a reason.

Edited by 757-NINER

Sheesh...these last two weeks have been brutal from a health staindpoint. Coyle was a very good STs guy so that's going to hurt that unit in particular. Hope this isn't a running theme this year. I've been saying for years, they need to expand the rosters to 56-60. It would eliminate having to pluck guys off the street and them having to learn your scheme and contribute right away within days of signing. Especially when you have a rash of injuries to one unit like we're experiencing. I think you should be using the PS for developing players and for practice with your scout team. Those players shouldn't be looked at as insurance to their respective positions.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I think if were looking for more of a Leo-type, Kikaha would make sense but we're more in the market for a SAM. Garvin played SAM for Seattle last year and was 'ok'. He knows the scheme and is better from a coverage standpoint than Nzeocha, who I'm not really a fan of, especially in coverage. 

If we could ever get Malcolm Smith to play a meaningful snap on Sundays, our LB corps could be scary good. Warner could slide over to SAM and more than likely Foster plays MIKE. Smith at WILL would allow our three best LBs to see the field. I think our future is Foster@WILL and Warner in the middle and maybe draft our future SAM next year. But as the roster stands now, I think having Lee@WILL, Foster@MIKE when he returns, and Warner@SAM is our next best option. Coyle is a STs player. He shouldn't be anywhere near the two-deep IMO. He's not the worst LB in the world but he just doesn't have the range/cover skills to really be competitive in the modern NFL. I'd rather give Lee a shot@WILL than to see Coyle in the middle of the field, missing tackles, a step late filling rushing lanes, and a step behind in coverage. Garvin could allow Warner to stay@SAM but he's no world beater. He could surprise but he was on the street for a reason.

Biderman has said that Shanny prefers having Foster where he is at, which is WILL. They think Warner can handle MIKE pretty well...after all, he just did.

But yes, Kikaha would be better at Leo...sure would like to try him.

They should have a two-four week DL similar to baseball. At least now you can bring guys back from IR. 

I'll also never understand why you have guys on your roster that are inactive on gamedays. 

@757-NINER I don't think you should be that excited about getting Smith back. Last time we saw him, he was pretty average

9 hours ago, N4L said:

They should have a two-four week DL similar to baseball. At least now you can bring guys back from IR. 

I'll also never understand why you have guys on your roster that are inactive on gamedays. 

@757-NINER I don't think you should be that excited about getting Smith back. Last time we saw him, he was pretty average

Its pretty strange the NFL hasn't evolved like other sports in this regard (the only thing I can remember is expanding practice squads from 7 to 10). But rosters should be expanded some, the IR should have tiers, and all 53 should be allowed to be active. Sure, it eliminates a certain type of strategic planning but the overall product would be so much better off. 

• Like 1