Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

Why not just exercise the 5 year option instead of extending him if you're still looking for a QB? In fact, why not just let him test free agency and then try to sign him for a deal. Do they really think another team would have bid heavily on Bortles?

Thread should be used as an example of why fans aren't running the show. The Jaguars were unlikely to land Cousins and they have the 29th draft pick. Meaning they will get non of the named QB's like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Jackson. So even if they draft a QB it will be just as much a reach as seeing if Blake can continue to develop. People need to chill. What did you want, not hold onto Blake and bet the farm on a reach? At least you know you can make the AFCCG and have a shot with Blake if you keep things intact. 

I see this as the "monster" Cutler contract. The total for him said $126 mil with $54 mil or so guaranteed, so while everyone lost their minds thinking he was there for 7 years it was completely overblown. Really he had 3 guaranteed years and then was a minimal cap casualty. I am betting the Jags will have an out on this at some point in 2020 before the season or something similar. If they don't think he is the guy, this gives them time to groom a draft pick, and not have to force a pick at QB.

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I'd take Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield over Bortles easily.

McCarron, Jackson, Allen and Rudolph is borderline.

If I was Jacksonville I would have been all over one of those Vikings QBs... Keenum should be a huge target.

Keenum just blew it and fell apart in the NFCCG, Bortles was likely the entire reason the Jaguars got past the Steelers after their defense got destroyed. Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield are unproven and likely NOT going to be their when the Jaguars are on the board. Bridgewater just missed two seasons and might never be the same, he's not worth the risk. And honestly the whole Vikings QB situation is unknown right now. And Cousins is going to demand a huge contract and will have multiple high bidders, landing Cousins could cost Jacksonville the ability to maintain their defense down the line. 

2 hours ago, daineraider said:

Not a fan at all, Jags were one piece away from being a title contender.  

Yeah the piece that is the hardest to find. Bortles made it to the AFCCG and largely off his play in that divisional round game. Meanwhile Denver would probably have killed for Bortles and is watching their elite once historical defense waste away with bad QB play. They'd kill for Bortles. There is no guarantee the next guy won't be a Siemian, Lynch, or Osweiler. And then they go from almost the Super Bowl to picking in the top 5

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

They aren't...hence a 3 yr deal that is likely front loaded and filled with incentives and possible options.

Yeah, this deal makes sense.  It's basically a 2-year deal with a team-option in year 3 whether or not to continue the contract, from the looks of it.  Which doesn't preclude them drafting a QB this year or next, it just doesn't make them "look" as desperate, which can be advantageous on Draft Day if they start calling around inquiring about moving up (i.e. they're not conceding leverage).

And the deal pays him more than Glennon - which, for all the hate Bortles gets, he most certainly deserves - even if Glennon was overpaid for what he deserved (read: had earned).

6 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeah the piece that is the hardest to find. Bortles made it to the AFCCG and largely off his play in that divisional round game. Meanwhile Denver would probably have killed for Bortles and is watching their elite once historical defense waste away with bad QB play. They'd kill for Bortles. There is no guarantee the next guy won't be a Siemian, Lynch, or Osweiler. And then they go from almost the Super Bowl to picking in the top 5

No team would kill for Bortles, we all know he's a below average QB that's getting an extension because the Jaguars don't have a better option so they might as well *hope* Bortles plays better than he did last year. 

I'm just curious as to why they committed 2 extra years to him when they were only on the hook for this year, if he plays well next year franchise tag him, if he sucks move on. Now the Jags are on the hook for an extra 7 million or so because...Why? 

2 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

No team would kill for Bortles, we all know he's a below average QB that's getting an extension because the Jaguars don't have a better option so they might as well *hope* Bortles plays better than he did last year. 

I'm just curious as to why they committed 2 extra years to him when they were only on the hook for this year, if he plays well next year franchise tag him, if he sucks move on. Now the Jags are on the hook for an extra 7 million or so because...Why? 

No Denver would have, because Denver is picking in the top 5 and they would have had a legitimate playoff chance, as good as they had in 2015. Bortles played far better than either of their QB's that year and better than any of the QB's they fielded this year. Denver would have LOVED to have Blake Bortles this year. Some of you guys just think QB's grow on trees and when you don't like someone that it isn't possible for a worse option. It's far more likely one of Darnold or Rosen busts and is far worse than Bortles (who was picked around where they are slotted) and Jacksonville won't even get a chance at then. And who knows when they will get a great opportunity at a QB, they watched the Texans be stacked for years and have trash at the QB position without finding their guy until Watson. And Bortles brought his team further than that Texans team ever got. 

People need perspective. 

Archived