Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

It would be the height of incompetence for Oakland to go offense with the 10th overall pick. They are going to be in prime position to get either Smith, Evans, LVH, take the guy you have the highest grade on and call it a day. 

54 minutes ago, game3525 said:

It would be the height of incompetence for Oakland to go offense with the 10th overall pick. They are going to be in prime position to get either Smith, Evans, LVH, take the guy you have the highest grade on and call it a day. 

I'll be curious to see if they make a move up to secure whoever their favorite is. They have to be very worried about the niners in the pick above them. Would only require a small move to get their guy, and I could see either Chicago or Tampa being willing to make that move. 

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Not necessarily. Offensive tackle is a major need and carries among the higher positional values on a roster. Conversely, McKenzie has shown stacked linebacker is of lower importance and the team is carrying three competent linebackers in Whitehead, James, and Morrow.

If I had a tackle ranked as highly as the defensive players who'd be there at 10, I'd probably take the tackle.

'll be curious to see if they make a move up to secure whoever their favorite is. They have to be very worried about the niners in the pick above them. Would only require a small move to get their guy, and I could see either Chicago or Tampa being willing to make that move. 

True,  I think the top player on Oakland's board is Smith, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners are high on him as well, especially with Foster's issues. 

Not necessarily. Offensive tackle is a major need and carries among the higher positional values on a roster. Conversely, McKenzie has shown stacked linebacker is of lower importance and the team is carrying three competent linebackers in Whitehead, James, and Morrow.

If I had a tackle ranked as highly as the defensive players who'd be there at 10, I'd probably take the tackle.

I disagree somewhat. 

The way the passing game is structure in today's game has reduced the importance of offensive tackles. You just can't afford to be terrible at that position, but if you can get an average OT and if your QB is worth a snot, then you should be fine. The value of LB has increased IMO since most of the action is in the middle of the field. If you can get a guy who can play the run as well as cover, then you have something that is really valuable in today's game.

3 hours ago, jarren said:

but then I remember how Alex Mack was a huge reason why Atlantas offense made such a big leap from 15-16 to 16-17

please elaborate on this, because I'm of the opinion it had a hell of a lot more to do with being in year 2 of Shanahan's offense. He left and they fell back to 15th in scoring.

I understand Nelson is being considered a generational talent at OG, but I just don't believe he is worth a top 10 pick. My Bears have holes at OG and EDGE (to name a few) and I am more than willing to draft Edmunds/Davenport/Fitzpatrick/Ward at #8 and then tackle the iOL issue at #39. The dropoff in talent at EDGE, IMO, is substantial once you get past Chubb/Davenport/Landry. The iOL talent after Nelson, IMO, not so much (which is not to take away from what a damned good player he is).

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

please elaborate on this, because I'm of the opinion it had a hell of a lot more to do with being in year 2 of Shanahan's offense. He left and they fell back to 15th in scoring.

We started Mike Person and James Stone at C in 15/16. Both of whom couldn't even snap the ball (6 or 7 botched snaps on the year) and were even worse in protection. The worst center play I've ever seen in my life since watching the NFL. We actually started out really hot, putting up big totals in the first 5 weeks of the season until teams figured out that they could attack the weak spot of the offense which was the center position. It was all downhill from then on.

The following year we sign Mack who was the only addition to the oline. The difference in line play is huge. Ryan actually has someone who can snap the ball, someone very adept at making line calls, and elite at blocking both the run and pass. The protection gave the offense time to take advantage of Shannys elite play calling. 

A perfect example of Macks value was the Superbowl. We had one of our worst offenseive performance that game in large part to Mack playing on a badly sprained ankle he hurt late in the NFC championship game against the Packers. Mack was basically playing on one leg and our blocking up the middle sucked. It resulted Ryan being sacked a bunch of times, most notably the Flowers sack late in the 4th and an inability to run up the middle.

The biggest reasons for the drop off in the play this year was an inept Steve Sarkisian, injuries to the oline, poor play from Wes Schweitzer who replaced a retired Chris Chester, and drops in which we led the leauge. 

6 minutes ago, jarren said:

A perfect example of Macks value was the Superbowl. We had one of our worst offenseive performance that game in large part to Mack playing on a badly sprained ankle he hurt late in the NFC championship game against the Packers. Mack was basically playing on one leg and our blocking up the middle sucked. It resulted Ryan being sacked a bunch of times, most notably the Flowers sack late in the 4th and an inability to run up the middle.

I don't want to drum up bad memories for you from that Superbowl, but you dropped 21 points on the Pats in the first half, 7 more in the 3rd quarter...

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Cleveland fans can answer better, but I want to tsay that team in 2014 was actually playing pretty well offensively, and then Mack got hurt and the season eventually fell apart. I don't know how big of a role it played, but I seem to recall that there was a pretty big difference pre and post Mack overall (some of that may have been the QB though)

Now, it should be noted that center play is absolutely huge in Shanny's scheme (he was the OC for Cleveland in '14 and for Atlanta when they signed Mack). That's why according to 49er sources, we were never in on Norwell (despite some other reports), but made Richburg one of the highest paid centers in the NFL. Shanny puts a huge emphasis on the position. 

Archived