Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

14 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Why anybody pays any attention to draft rumours is beyond me. 98% of the time, they turn out to be simple bluffs by teams trying to maneuver opponents into wrong pick and nothing else.

And sometimes they are accurate..... that's why we pat attention. We love drama and intrigue. 

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Jamarco Jones? For those who care (I do not), he tested terribly. But he did look like a serviceable OT to me. I didn't see a ton of upside in his game, though. Geron Christian is the guy I really like outside of the top couple guys (imo, Wynn and McGlinchey). I think Wynn can be a good LT and a very good pass protector. I see McGlinchey as being a rock-solid player. After those guys, I think Christian is the best pass protector. He's going to need to bulk up and get stronger, but he's so natural, smooth, long, and flexible. He's also only 21 years old, so I think there's growth potential there.

Yeah I put about zero stock in his combine.  Looking at footwork, handwork and body control, I think it's all there for him to be able to play day 1. You're right with the upside, but I see him as a guy similar to Kelvin Beachem. Just someone who's going to be an average/just above average LT or RT for a long time in this league.

7 hours ago, game3525 said:

No team does 7-step drops anymore that requires QB's to hold the ball long. Everything is a 3-step drop and the ball is out, so the left tackle position is not nearly as important as it was in the 90's and early 2000's.

Norv Turner still ran a significant amount of 7 step drops with the Vikings and didn’t really show a willingness to change his offense to better fit our personnel so I would expect to see the Panthers making a lot of 7 step drops this year.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Sounding like Roquan to Indy is picking up some steam. 

He’s been linked there for a while but I’ve noticed that people are jumping on that bandwagon as well. 

Also, did anyone catch Chris Ballard saying that he felt there are 8 “elite” non-QB prospects in the draft? With many projecting 4 to go in the top 12, seems like he’s laying the foundation to say they drafted an elite prospect in the event they trade down again. 

26 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

He’s been linked there for a while but I’ve noticed that people are jumping on that bandwagon as well. 

Also, did anyone catch Chris Ballard saying that he felt there are 8 “elite” non-QB prospects in the draft? With many projecting 4 to go in the top 12, seems like he’s laying the foundation to say they drafted an elite prospect in the event they trade down again. 

It’s definitely spin IMO.   They would love for Chubb to be there at 1.6 but if not they would look to move down.  Moving down to get Roquan later would fit the Smith to IND reports too.

But for sure that statement definitely allows Ballard to pass the PR angle of moving down a 2nd time.  And not staying at 1.3 for Chubb (given what they got hard to blame him given their roster needs are everywhere).

It’s also 100x more crafted than Todd Bowles saying they had 6-7 guys lumped together when they moved up from 1.6 to 1.3 (we all know it was to get a top 2-3 QB but talk about being unprepared to spin it lol).  

FWIW our beat reporter Klis gave his top 5 (in no specific order).   Notable are that Allen there and Rosen isn’t.   And no Nelson. 

In no specific order - Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Barkley, Chubb.  

Klis pretty much acts as the DEN mouthpiece.   Now this could clearly be all smokescreen.   But that’s scary if it’s not a smokescreen the chances of DEN-Allen are really high at 1.5.   Ugh.  

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Sounding like Roquan to Indy is picking up some steam. 

This makes sense. They haven't had a young linebacker...or a front 7 defender...that provided any pop or speed in their game in so damn long. While I think #6 overall is way too rich for 99% of teams and situations, this one makes sense given the state of that roster.

I still think the Colts should try and trade down again if they can. Their roster makes me sick...and I'm a Browns fan.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

1. Quinton Nelson

2. Saquon Barkley

3. Derwin James

4. Denzel Ward

5. Vita Vea

6. Marcus Davenport (potentially)

7. Minkah Fitzpatrick (disagree)

8. Nick Chubb (disagree)

I could see how he would make this argument. I really like Fitz and Chubb, but they aren't elite prospects to me. I'd say there's 5 elite prospects in the class and those are the first 5 on my prospect list above. Davenport has elite potential, but didn't flash enough against the run to earn that label. Chubb is the exact opposite. Elite against the run, but I question the tools he has athletically to become an elite edge nightmare. And then Fitzpatrick is just a very good overall player, but he doesn't do really anything at an ELITE level.

2 minutes ago, dgr81 said:

According to WGR radio in Buffalo, the Bills offered 3 first round picks to move to #2 and Gettleman turned them down.

If they trade with Buffalo, it's going to be on draft day. They're going to squeeze all the value out of that pick that they can. I think as the draft approaches and Buffalo gets more and more desperate, they'll be willing to part with an additional 2nd rounder to make it happen.

That being said, this could also confirm (as much as unreliable sources can) that the Giants are bullish on Josh Rosen or one of the top QB's and plan to stay put and draft one. I think this is the most likely scenario. Eerily similar to the Titans a few years ago when they were rumored to be shopping the #2 pick. They ended up just taking Mariota and after the draft, shot down all rumors that they were ever seriously considering moving the pick.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If they trade with Buffalo, it's going to be on draft day. They're going to squeeze all the value out of that pick that they can. I think as the draft approaches and Buffalo gets more and more desperate, they'll be willing to part with an additional 2nd rounder to make it happen.

That being said, this could also confirm (as much as unreliable sources can) that the Giants are bullish on Josh Rosen or one of the top QB's and plan to stay put and draft one. I think this is the most likely scenario. Eerily similar to the Titans a few years ago when they were rumored to be shopping the #2 pick. They ended up just taking Mariota and after the draft, shot down all rumors that they were ever seriously considering moving the pick.

Its smart for them to wait. Especially if they really love Darnold as was rumored and there is an outside shot that the Browns could take Allen. 

2 minutes ago, dgr81 said:

According to WGR radio in Buffalo, the Bills offered 3 first round picks to move to #2 and Gettleman turned them down.

Must be their two 1sts from this year, plus their 1 from next year. If Gettlemen has turned that down and plans to take Barkley or Chubb at 2 instead of a QB, that’s pretty amazing.

Archived