Robert Quinn to Miami

Brian23

Shame, I love Quinn but his one-trick, gumby-style edge rush really did a number on him, health and performance-wise. Hope he's able to further revive his career in Miami; him and William "believes in mermaids" Hayes are familiar as well.

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What happened to him? Wasnt he a DPOY like 2-3 years ago? 

I assume Landry is as good as gone right?

Injuries, didn't adapt once linemen knew they could slow him down by holding. His pass rushing technique was just a simple edge rush, hardly utilized inside or bull rush techniques during his time in the 4-3 under Williams. Phillips did taught him new pass rushing techniques at the OLB spot however and was able to make him serviceable.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What happened to him? Wasnt he a DPOY like 2-3 years ago? 

I assume Landry is as good as gone right?

Injuries. He didn't look quite the same due to the back injury. But he's still a good edge rusher.

IMO it's a given Landry was never coming back - this is MIA's attempt to get more than a 2019 end-of-3rd round comp pick, given the devaluation of waiting a year to get that pick, and the possibility there are teams that Landry wouldn't necessarily pick as his top destination in FA alone (CHI, BAL, etc.).   In that context the deal makes more sense.

If they let Landry and Julius Thomas walk, they clear almost 23M - so that 8M deficit becomes 15M in space.   Juwan James seem like a 50-50 candidate to return at 9M (which TBH I'd think hard about getting a restructure but keeping him given their needs).    Either way, though, Quinn fits.   The Q is whether he'll be worth the 10M+ the Dolphins will take on, given the injuries.  

Good for the Rams - they needed cap room to get other needs met (well not really "needed", but it never hurts), and dealt their most expendable asset.   Given they are locked into Joyner and bringing back Sullivan was a priority, they've given themselves flexibility to address these re-signs, and still address other needs, especially with Peters replacing Trumaine Johnson.  Tip my cap to Snead, he's really done well so far this offseason.   They can keep the core priority re-signs, and still have $ space to get more CB help, and other priorities met - and have plenty of $ for that post-2018 Gurley extension that's coming, and lock up Donald without a contentious franchise tag fiasco post-2018. 

Locking up Donald and Gurley long-term, and keeping Joyner & Sullivan for their win-now contention - now all can fit into their budget...with likely some $ to spare.   Well done.

32 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

They need to do something about Suh's contract.  He's making QB money which is insane.

They've already restructured.   He's got a 22.2M cap hit of dead money on his 2018 26.2M cap hit.  They've already pushed 22.2M back down the road of that 26.2M to bonuses and restructures.  There's nothing left to restructure (beyond 4M).

They need to bite the bullet, take the cap hit, and then next year there's 13.1M of dead money, and a 28.1M cap hit - in 2019, they can save 15M by saying goodbye.  If Suh's play had declined, they could make him a post-June 1 cut and then push 13.1 of that 22.1M cap hit to 2019, but in the end, that's their only real option, which they probably aren't exploring.   

The reality is they created this mess with the original contract, and pushed back as much as they can.   Sooner or later you just have to pay the piper, the bill's coming due now.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They've already restructured.   He's got a 22.2M cap hit of dead money on his 2018 26.2M cap hit.  They've already pushed 22.2M back down the road of that 26.2M to bonuses and restructures.  There's nothing left to restructure (beyond 4M).

They need to bite the bullet, take the cap hit, and then next year there's 13.1M of dead money, and a 28.1M cap hit - in 2019, they can save 15M by saying goodbye.  If Suh's play had declined, they could make him a post-June 1 cut and then push 13.1 of that 22.1M cap hit to 2019, but in the end, that's their only real option, which they probably aren't exploring.   

The reality is they created this mess with the original contract, and pushed back as much as they can.   Sooner or later you just have to pay the piper, the bill's coming due now.

They should have just thrown Suh into the deal instead of swapping 6ths. Donald-Suh-Brockers? Yes please.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They should have just thrown Suh into the deal instead of swapping 6ths. Donald-Suh-Brockers? Yes please.

They probably didn't just want to hand the NFC in one fell swoop lol.   Suh would only cost 16.9M to the Rams, but only save 4M for the Dolphins this year with all that dead money still left to pay.  A trade next year, on the other hand, saves 15M and netting a pick (will cost the buyer 18M) instead of a cut?   As long as he's playing well, could see that.

Why though?  I don't really get what either team is doing here.

I guess Quinn might not be the most natural fit in a 3-4, they do need to keep money available to pay guys, and Quinn is the big $$$ piece that's probably least important.  But in the right scheme, he's still probably a Top-20 edge rusher in the league.  Where exactly is the edge presence going to come from now?  Going to lean heavily on a late 1st round rookie to get it done, or hope to get really lucky on a later pick guy?  There's not a lot on the FA market that you're not going to end up overpaying.

And for Miami...i get why they'd want him.  Especially at that low acquisition price.  But they're pretty clearly making a bad cap situation worse with this.  Maybe if they hadn't decided to pay Andre Branch like he was a legit pass rusher, or didn't have that insane Suh contract on their DLine.  But they have both those things already...

Just weird all around.

Archived