Robert Quinn to Miami

Brian23

14 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Pissed. He was starting to come on the 2nd half of the season and understand his role in Wade's defense. Bad move. Some cap relief, but no pass rush whatsoever now. First move I don't like by this regime.

I understand your feeling about losing Quinn but the regime wouldn’t have made this move without Wade signing off and he knows about 3-4 defenses. Plus I’m learning not to question the moves that the organization is making.

Remember last year the Rams drafted John Johnson? A lot of people questioned that draft pick. They even questioned more when the Rams cut Alexander who was the most improved safety in the NFL in 2016 according to PFF. Well all John Johnson did when he stepped in was he had the second highest rating among rookies at his position according to PFF. The only rookie to have the highest rating at the position was the Saints safety Williams. So the Rams know what they are doing even though we the fans don’t think they do. Now can they make mistakes at times? Yes, but as much as I like Quinn and hate to see him go, he wasn’t a natural fit at 3-4. If we the fans can say Tru isn’t a natural fit for Wade man to man defense and thus paying him that ton of money would be a mistake then paying Quinn that type of money and he isn’t a natural fit in 3-4 defense is the same way. He was good but not what the Rams need to fully make use of him at EDGE standing up. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens though in terms of who they find to replace Quinn. It’s not going to be easy to replace him but at the same time it’s not going to be as hard as people think.

Just some perspective for the Rams' reasons for doing this deal:

1.  Sullivan is a UFA - the top 10 C's now get 8-10M AAV.   The Rams already stated it's a priority to keep him IIRC, as well they should - he and Whitworth were key in turning that OL around.

2.  Joyner is a UFA, and the top 6 S's get 10-12M AAV.   If they franchise him, it's 14M.

3.  Aaron Donald needs an extension sometime this year (at latest after this season), and he's going to command 18M+ AAV.  Could be 20M.  Well worth the going rate, as expensive as it is.

4.  Todd Gurley is the next guy up for an extension, and likely he'll get offers of what Le'veon Bell turned down (12M AAV).  Even if the market stays flat for RB, 10M is the lowest you can see - he's elite, at Bell's level, younger, with less overall mileage.

5.  There is no one on the roster getting cut that creates more $ - Tavon Austin still has 8M of dead money and a 8M cap hit, and there's no one else who isn't an integral part of the starting lineup, or comes with more than a 1M-2M savings.

And the above is before we factor in getting another CB to go with Peters/Webster (Nickell-Roby is a UFA), and any other perceived needs - and of course, rookies/depth FA's.   Trading Quinn gives LAR 57M in cap space.   They need every $ to make the above priorities work and field a win-now team.   Now they don't have to worry about the drama with Donald/Gurley, and they keep Sullivan/Joyner.   

All of the above is before we even address the 3-4/4-3 issue, which is well documented.  Finally, the principle used by good orgs - better to cut bait a year too soon with injury/age-related decline vets....than stay a year too late.   Remember - LAR actually offered Quinn to KC for Peters, but they preferred the picks.   Shows what Quinn's risk and price are doing to how teams value him.   Now, if the Rams were the Browns cap-wise, maybe they stand pat - but even then, the fit/business principle of selling before the value tanks completely if the cost is prohibitive in a vacuum, well I get that 100 percent.

41 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

While Quinn showed he may have something left in the tank last year and this should help our pass rush without a doubt, how the hell do we plan on getting the cap room for this?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/ - right now, you're 8M over the cap.

Quinn would cost you 10.3M more, assuming LAR has to assume the roster bonus (as the trade won't happen until the new year begins, given what MIA has to do below).  So you need to create 18M, and in all likelihood, you need at least 5-10M for vet FA depth and rookie draft cap.   So here we go...

1.  Landry isn't getting tagged and kept, this is just to trade him.  That saves 16.2M.

2.  Cut JT - that saves 6.6M.

3.  Sadly, the 3rd cut that creates a ton of space - let Juwan James walk.  That hurts, because he was good at RT, but given the injury issues, and your cap situation, clearing 9.3M gets it done.

The above clears 32M of space - so leaves you 13-14M after you get Quinn in there.   If you want to keep James, then you are snug with 5M left, but it's doable with no other additions but vet-min depth signings.    

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The above clears 32M of space - so leaves you 13-14M after you get Quinn in there.   If you want to keep James, then you are snug with 5M left, but it's doable with no other additions but vet-min depth signings.    

Don't forget that they have to sign their rookie class. OTC projects that at a little over 8 million

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't forget that they have to sign their rookie class. OTC projects that at a little over 8 million

Yes, but every guy they cut to get the rookie on the top 51 has a 500k salary at minimum that counts towards the cap.  So there’s a net cost but it’s not 8M.   Now that also works with the savings but they are drafting more guys than the 2-3 cuts.   So 5M would make it work. Plus there are cheaper restructures or post-June 1 designated cuts like Branch that should make the rookie cap work.   Just nowhere near the big ticket fixes that Mia needs for Quinn and their current deficit.  And it’s far from a complete roster afterwards either talent wise.  But that’s their reality with what Tannembaum has done. 

I guess I viewed Miami as more of a rebuilding team than a team that would be making moves like this.

I'd tear that thing down if I were the Dolphins and start prepping for 2019-2020 when Brady is out of that division (probably)

I hate their roster actually. I think it's one of the worst rosters if you're looking at long-term sustainability coupled with short term success.

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I guess I viewed Miami as more of a rebuilding team than a team that would be making moves like this.

I'd tear that thing down if I were the Dolphins and start prepping for 2019-2020 when Brady is out of that division (probably)

I hate their roster actually. I think it's one of the worst rosters if you're looking at long-term sustainability coupled with short term success.

Plus there doesn’t seem to be consistency in the direction.   If they draft Mayfield Rd1 it would signal a commitment to 2019+.   Why get Quinn for a 1-year rental in that case? 

The worst situation a team can find itself is not good enough to contend but not bad enough to commit fully to a rebuild.  A truly committed rebuild only needs 1-2 years unless you have zero talent to begin with.   The Dolphins have pieces but need to get cap health and draft well for 1-2 years.  And figure out who their QB is going to be.  In that context doing this move is certainly baffling.   

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/ - right now, you're 8M over the cap.

Quinn would cost you 10.3M more, assuming LAR has to assume the roster bonus (as the trade won't happen until the new year begins, given what MIA has to do below).  So you need to create 18M, and in all likelihood, you need at least 5-10M for vet FA depth and rookie draft cap.   So here we go...

1.  Landry isn't getting tagged and kept, this is just to trade him.  That saves 16.2M.

2.  Cut JT - that saves 6.6M.

3.  Sadly, the 3rd cut that creates a ton of space - let Juwan James walk.  That hurts, because he was good at RT, but given the injury issues, and your cap situation, clearing 9.3M gets it done.

We're not assuming the roster bonus. 

Archived