Barkley should go #1.

Suffering_Bills

I mean, THINK about it, Cleveland. You have an AMAZING RB prospect, the clear-cut best player in the draft, and you now WON'T get him at #4. I think that doubt has been removed.

Crowell is good as gone. Big deal. Barkley is the next Todd Gurley/David Johnson/Ezekiel Elliot. PERIOD. Maybe BETTER.

AND.... -3 out of the five top QB prospects will be available. At LEAST 3 out of the top 5. I could see Bradley Chubb going top 3 in this draft, EASY. Take your top remaining QB at #4, Cleveland. I think it's going to go this way.

personally the caps in the OP seals it for me. Honestly, if it was possible to go before #1 i would take him there. 

Or, i would take a qb which theyve passed on taking early for a couple years now and have won a grand total of 1 game in that time frame.

I think the best argument for him going #1 overall is two fold:

First, you have to look at him more than just a running back in the same way Gurley, David Johnson, and Le'Veon Bell are more than just runningbacks. They're matchup nightmares in the same class as Rob Gronkowsi. Defenses will have to scheme to defend him.

Second, the drop off from him to the next best runningback is lesser than the difference between the top 3 quarterbacks. If you're the Browns and you select Barkley #1 overall, you will likely get a quarterback who is within earshot of your top guy if you rate them closely. I mean, what would you rather have:

Barkley and At worse your #3 rated QB

or

Your #1 rated QB and Fitzpatrick/Nelson/Chubb?

I brought this up in another thread but, considering the draft capital the Browns have, there's a pretty good chance they could trade up and select Barkley and their #1 QB.

I only question why it took the combine for people to consider it.

That being said, if they single out their guy at QB, they cant mess around.  But whether it's the Giants or the Browns trading up, I cant see him making it past #2.  And I shall weep.

You only take Barkley number 1 if you think the two top QB's are a toss up. If the Browns are dead sold on either Darnold or Rosen, get them first and then rush to make trades if you really want Barkley, the Giants would happily take 4th and capital to all but guarantee the 2nd best QB or at worst Mayfield or Jackson and then whatever else they can get. 

But if I'm the Giants and I can get any QB in the draft because the Browns didn't go QB number 1, I'm taking the QB and passing up the trade. And if I'm the Colts and the second best QB is on the board and Barkley is already gone, I'm considering taking the QB. Worst case scenario I hold him hostage for a hall later in the draft and hope Luck comes back fine.

As an organization, the Browns really can't afford to not get their QB this year. And remember the last RB's since 2007 taken in the top 5 were Reggie Bush, Darren McFadden, Trent Richardson, Ezekiel Elliot, and Leonard Fournette. It's just as much a crapshoot. And quite honestly of the one's that did well, one had an offensive line that made Demarco Murray look like an MVP candidate.

I agree. But team needs do dictate where people go. I’ve a was looking from a prospective of value...I’d use a QB at #4 because I don’t see a huge difference between #1-3. But we all know that’s not how NFL teams work. Cleveland will convince themselves that one of the top QBs are better than the rest and go in that direction...then Barkley goes #2.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who actually thinks this though?

I mean, everyone here has a preference, why wouldn’t GM’s?

If management is constantly going back and forth between Darnold and Rosen and their is no clear direction a week before and you're second guessing both guys, then take Barkley and get whoever's left. 

If you're dead set on one of them, TAKE HIM. Let's say you don't. Let's say the Giants or Colts get Darnold and you really wanted him. If Barkley becomes the next Adrian Peterson or Leveon Bell his impact without a QB won't be much. And if Barkley ends up being a HOF RB, it's still a loss for the Browns in that scenario if Darnold ends up becoming a franchise top 5 QB. If you are set on a QB, take him. If it's debateable, then consider what Barkley could add. 

Honestly to me the smartest thing the Browns could do is go to Cousins and say "hey we'll give you a 5 year contract and break the bank, we are going to give you the top RB in the draft with the first round pick, and then we'll get whoever we have highest between the best offensive lineman or WR at number 4. That's the smart move, unless you are dead sold on one of the QB's.

Archived