The Coaches Want Rosen at 1?, & Other Serious Browns Draft Rumblings

Mind Character

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

What you're saying is not crazy at all; however, we do know whend asked "when did you know he was your guy"... A lot of GMs and coaches will say "we knew at the senior bowl" or "we knew at the combine." 

For instance, the Rams knew Goff was their guy b4 the combine....had it confirmed in combine interviews and thus began to consummated a trade with the Titans at the combine.

Point is.... The vast majority of teams right now after the combine know who they want.

This is right on target with one exception, at least IMO and that is Allen. Allen has been likely working out with a pro type QB coach for the last 2 months and I believe teams will still be studying him to see what adjustments he has made to his game, before putting a final tag on him. The rest are all as you say.

Right now I firmly believe Darnold is our guy, Rosen might have been in the conversation, but 2 concussions and a shoulder injury make it highly unlikely will will draft him. He has very poor escapability when rushed in the pocket, he is basically as statue in the pocket who takes way too many solid hits.

If Allen has shown a strong improvement as to his accuracy, he may indeed challenge Darnold, but it had better be a substantial improvement. 

At #4, I still believe Barkley will be available, because both the Giants and the Colts will receive substantial offers for their picks even if they choose not to draft a QB, so a Darnold/Barkley draft could be in our future and would likely energize our fan base into forgetting our previous failures.

4 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

No, Bruce. Say it aint so! You are WAAAAY too old to start anew. You definitely cant leave this forum. Youre like the great great great great grandaddy I never had....(because most folks dont live 200 years)

In the middle of an interview a headhunter once asked me: You do not suffer fools gladly, do you?

My answer was: I do not suffer them in any way.I started following this team when Paul Brown was the HC.

Even when they came back I had a ton of faith in Mr. Lerner, and thought Randy would at least get some FO talent in and stay out of the way.

Under Haslam's stewardship, things have just continually gotten worse.

I feel like I am watching a complete cast of fools.

9 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

@Mind Character is like that crazy cousin who believes in every conspiracy. JFK was assassinated by Roswell Aliens who also planned the false flag attacks of 9-11.

@brownie man is like that step-brother with the mullet who refuses to give up his BMX ambitions even though he is 40.

@LETSGOBROWNIES is like that creepy uncle who never wears a shirt and always wants to wrestle.

@Kiwibrown is like that neighbor kid who sneaks into your pool and craps in your bushes..

Ya, ya, better than family, for sure.

40 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Mariota is quiet, but he absolutely has presence. https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/5/16254050/marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans-stories-best-leader

No no no. You misspelled "FGK".

DePo has said in pretty much all of his public interviews that he doesn't really have a role in scouting. More in analysis and process development (looking at how the team does X and if there is a better way) as well as cap management.

Overall, fun read, we'll see how it turns out. And as LetsGoBrownies pointed out, I give zero poops what the coaches want. If they can't figure out how to use a franchise QB (Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, whoever) then they shouldn't have jobs IMO.

I actually agree with you about Mariota and that was my point about him & Eli: That presence & leadership come in different forms.

We'll need you more than ever on draft day to corral dissent & the craziness if Mayfield is selected.

Be ready with your most effective arguments lol.

You're absolutely right to say DePo doesnt traditiobally scout the players as his main focus, but he does watch tape, met with football experts past & present to learn how to evaluate core traits of success for each position, & has created a massive database on pro & soon to be pro players for the purpose of running analyses as a vital input in the decision making process on a given prospect/player (he's talked about it publicly).

He's paid to be well informed on players himself along with relying on the expert opinion of others. So, he does have his opinions and rankings of the QBs & others much like others do in the now newly created Strategy & Anaylitics Department of which Andrew Berry is a part of despite AB being the one that led the scout meetings & collective watching tape reviews the last 2 years.

I think your opinion on coaches having zero input on the decision is solely informed by your lack of confidence in Hue Jackson. That aside, it would make no sense to use the opinion of coaches who have offenses positions or coordinated top 2 offenses in the league (Haley top 2 O; Hue #1 O; Gregg Williams top 4 D).

Not listening to various coaches input would take us back to the Ray Farmer days when Kyle Shannahan had Jimmy G & Derek Carr as his top guys, but his input didnt matter.

14 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

@Mind Character is like that crazy cousin who believes in every conspiracy. JFK was assassinated by Roswell Aliens who also planned the false flag attacks of 9-11.

@brownie man is like that step-brother with the mullet who refuses to give up his BMX ambitions even though he is 40.

@LETSGOBROWNIES is like that creepy uncle who never wears a shirt and always wants to wrestle.

@Kiwibrown is like that neighbor kid who sneaks into your pool and craps in your bushes..

Hell to the nah nah...dont group me in with that craziness....lol

And just for equal measures

@Fatgerman is like that fat cousin who eats the entire birthday cake, even though it isnt his birthday,  breaks your couch, clogs the toilet and asks if he can move his trailer to your back-yard until his professional hotdog eating career gets off the ground.

11 minutes ago, bruceb said:

In the middle of an interview a headhunter once asked me: You do not suffer fools gladly, do you?

My answer was: I do not suffer them in any way.I started following this team when Paul Brown was the HC.

Even when they came back I had a ton of faith in Mr. Lerner, and thought Randy would at least get some FO talent in and stay out of the way.

Under Haslam's stewardship, things have just continually gotten worse.

I feel like I am watching a complete cast of fools.

I am right with you as I was a Browns' fan since Jimmy Brown's rookie season and Lerner and Haslam were definitely a cast of fools.

Archived