The Coaches Want Rosen at 1?, & Other Serious Browns Draft Rumblings

Mind Character

1 minute ago, dawgdish said:

That's the million dollar question. For the last 3 years, our GM (including the new one) has had the title of having final say of the roster, though if you listen to some, Hue made all the draft calls (or at least the bad QB ones).

Not the bad/good ones, just the ones related to QB.

Why is it so confusing? Because our gas pumpin', itchy trigger fingered owner also has the Head Coach reporting in a direct line to him along with the GM.

Yes.  Full retard set up.

No one can answer your question with certainty even about the past, let alone speculate how it is now with the Front Office shakeup. I fervently hope the final call is the GM Dorsey's, as it rightfully should have been Sashi's.

It is Dorsey’s by all accounts.  The difference between Dorsey and Sashi is I doubt Dorsey will be derferring to Hue’s “expertise”.

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

I say, this might be crazy, but I say, let’s take it all with a grain of salt until all the private workouts are completed. Everyone from coaches to FOs will be within arm distances of all the QBs in workouts, Drills, and Interviews. With it all being built around for the browns and not for the combine or a pro day. 

What you're saying is not crazy at all; however, we do know whend asked "when did you know he was your guy"... A lot of GMs and coaches will say "we knew at the senior bowl" or "we knew at the combine." 

For instance, the Rams knew Goff was their guy b4 the combine....had it confirmed in combine interviews and thus began to consummated a trade with the Titans at the combine.

Point is.... The vast majority of teams right now after the combine know who they want.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It is Dorsey’s by all accounts.  The difference between Dorsey and Sashi is I doubt Dorsey will be derferring to Hue’s “expertise”.

I agree, and hope that's going to be the case. Hue better not be whispering sweet nothings in Dee Haslam's ear so that ownership overrules Dorsey.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

What you're saying is not crazy at all; however, we do know whend asked "when did you know he was your guy"... A lot of GMs and coaches will say "we knew at the senior bowl" or "we knew at the combine." 

For instance, the Rams knew Goff was their guy b4 the combine....had it confirmed in combine interviews and thus began to consummated a trade with the Titans at the combine.

Point is.... The vast majority of teams right now after the combine know who they want.

Yeah, if you’re making big adjustments to your board based on the combine, you’re doing it wrong.

Darnold’s the guy.

When was the last a guy who has been pegged by 90% of the media and NFL draft community as the number one pick for 15 months not then gone first? Garrett, Goff, Jameis, Clowney, Luck, Bradford, etc.

Just now, dawgdish said:

I agree, and hope that's going to be the case. Hue better not be whispering sweet nothings in Dee Haslam's ear so that ownership overrules Dorsey.

I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

Hue could pretend Sashi didn’t know what he was doing.  No such luck with Dorsey, who has a significantly better resume.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, if you’re making big adjustments to your board based on the combine, you’re doing it wrong.

Darnold’s the guy.

When was the last a guy who has been pegged by 90% of the media and NFL draft community as the number one pick for 15 months not then gone first? Garrett, Goff, Jameis, Clowney, Luck, Bradford, etc.

The honest to goodness last guy that I remember this being the case was Mario Williams in 2006 and almost everyone thought they should/would go Bush. However, everyone leaked it was Williams in the days leading up to the draft. I suppose others could argue the two OTs in Fisher and Jake Long, but even then there was a general consensus. 

Silly season personified. I don't know if I buy this. It seems a little bit too crazy for me.

That being said, I like all four of the QB's and am fine with any one of them. I have them ranked:

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Allen

Rosen is a freaking robot. Perfect mechanics and unreal accuracy in the 0-20 yard range. Has more than enough arm strength to make every throw. Overblown character issues. He's the best QB, but I have been rolling with Darnold because: a. they're close and b. I don't know if Rosen wants to play here.

People that are scared of us taking Mayfield or Rosen should not be. I think there are three franchise QB's in this class (my top 3 guys obvi) and then the potential for two more (Allen/Jackson)---btw, where were you when they built the ladder to heaven?

I'd be a lot more upset about us taking Bradley Chubb at #1 than anything else.

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

That's not the scenario.

The Coaches, Wolf, and Berry have Rosen 1, Darnold 2, Jackson/Mayfield 3...

Dorsey, McCloughan, and Highsmith have Mayfield 1, Allen 2, Darnold 3....

Paul DePo & Kovash have it Mayfield 1, Rosen 2, Darnold...

Who do u fire then?

Or better...who is right?

Only ones that matter is Dorsey’s group

the rest of their opinions can go fall on deaf ears. 

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Who do u fire then?

Or better...who is right?

I suspect that the coaches' leaning for Rosen consciously or subconsciously is influenced by this "win now" mantra I have heard a couple of times since Rosen is "the most pro -ready".

Fact is that their heads (Hueball's, at least) will be the first on the chopping block if we don't win at least some.

Dorsey, et al., also are bitten by the "win now" bug, have visions of "little Farve" dancing in their heads and must also think that Mayfield can start sooner than later.

I think Darnold is generally regarded as a "let sit" prospect, which doesn't fit a "win now" focus.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I suspect that the coaches' leaning for Rosen consciously or subconsciously is influenced by this "win now" mantra I have heard a couple of times since Rosen is "the most pro .

Fact is that their heads (Hueball's, at least) will be the first on the chopping block if we don't win at least some.

Dorsey, et al., also are bitten by the "win now" bug, have visions of "little Farve" dancing in their heads and must also think that Mayfield can start sooner than later.

I think Darnold is generally regarded as a "let sit" prospect, which doesn't fit a "win now" focus.

If their focus is solely on winning now, no rookie is the answer.

Sign a vet, win now while Darnold develops holding a clipboard.  Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

Gotta be Darnold. Plays playground football which combined with his attitude makes you wonder if he knows what the heck he is doing. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Manziel would just run around like a chicken. Darnold's movements seem random but then boom it's like he already knows where he wants to go with the ball if he escapes.

Elite at escaping sacks, instincts to find the open guy, and anticipation to continually make difficult throws. A guy his size basically escaping sacks like R Wilson. 

I'm not going to complain about the pick, but I am very excited to see what Darnold can do at the next level and think he can have an instant impact on any team. Same goes for the other QB's but not to the same level.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If their focus is solely on winning now, no rookie is the answer.

Sign a vet, win now while Darnold develops holding a clipboard.  Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

If one's concern is one's continued employment, or for the new guys making a splash to impress the boss, one's thinking probably is not logical/clear.

One highly ironic wild-card is if Haslam rightly or wrongly has a "once-bitten" concern about Mayfield, we will at least get Darnold or Rosen.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:49 PM, Mind Character said:

I'd say did Mariota or Eli have a presence?

Mariota is quiet, but he absolutely has presence. https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/5/16254050/marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans-stories-best-leader

On 3/6/2018 at 3:49 PM, Mind Character said:

Paul DePo supposedly has it Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, & Allen.

No no no. You misspelled "FGK".

DePo has said in pretty much all of his public interviews that he doesn't really have a role in scouting. More in analysis and process development (looking at how the team does X and if there is a better way) as well as cap management.

Overall, fun read, we'll see how it turns out. And as LetsGoBrownies pointed out, I give zero poops what the coaches want. If they can't figure out how to use a franchise QB (Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, whoever) then they shouldn't have jobs IMO.

19 hours ago, bruceb said:

It is starting to sound like we definitely will screw this up and waste the draft pick largesse Sashi built.

Soooooooooooooo Browns.

Think I will start following SF.

No, Bruce. Say it aint so! You are WAAAAY too old to start anew. You definitely cant leave this forum. Youre like the great great great great grandaddy I never had.

@Mind Character is like that crazy cousin who believes in every conspiracy. JFK was assassinated by Roswell Aliens who also planned the false flag attacks of 9-11.

@brownie man is like that step-brother with the mullet who refuses to give up his BMX ambitions even though he is 40.

@LETSGOBROWNIES is like that creepy uncle who never wears a shirt and always wants to wrestle.

@Kiwibrown is like that neighbor kid who sneaks into your pool and craps in your bushes..

Archived