Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

sdrawkcab321

54 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

It also just tickles me that posters on here act like Gordon/Coleman are some studs. Neither has proven anything. Gordon is the only WR in the history of the NFL that managed to figure out a way to fall from grace quicker than Braylon Edwards did. 

Coleman will cut himself shaving or something and miss half of the year. 

All we really have on offense right now is dump offs to Landry, Njoku dropping passes and running wrong routes, and Duke Johnson trying like really really hard. Anyone expecting success with the roster we have right now is encouraged to join me in reality any time. It's not gonna be pretty next year. People get that, right?

Disagree. I'm usually pretty doom and gloom when it comes to the Browns and their optimism, but if we get good QB play, Coleman and Gordon are going to have great years. They are deep receivers that never had a chance to get deep because safeties took that away. We saw 2-high safeties all year long because we had nobody that could work the middle of the field (Landry now) and because we were always losing and had no run game. So they could play 2-man under 90% of the time and bracket our speedy outside guys. Our recourse was to throw the ball to Rashard Higgins and Ricardo Louis working in the slot. That's a recipe for 0-16. Landry was the missing piece to this WR group. Now if we can add a truly terrifying runner (Barkley) to the offense, Gordon and Coleman won't hardly ever see a deep safety chilling 15 yards off the ball on the numbers. It'll be single high looks for days. You have to double Gordon and you have to double Landry. Coleman is going to see single coverage looks all day and if he can get into those track meet situations, he's going to win more often than not.

Health, of course, is Coleman's big issue. It seems like he's had some flukey non-recurring injuries though. It's not like he's blowing out his ACL or anything. And I really do think Josh Gordon's antics are behind him. He seems like he's in a much better place and obviously has been able to kick the drugs for a great chunk of time now. I think he's finally out of the downward spiral that he was in and I can say with confidence this is the longest he has probably ever gone since HS without taking drugs. It doesn't mean he won't get pulled back in, but I think it's impossible for Gordon to not have changed being away from the drugs for this long. Weed is something that is hard to give up short-term, but doesn't draw people back to it once you finally do decide to get rid of it. It's not like heroin or something that is a constant struggle. I used to smoke quite often and hated the idea of quitting. I'd quit for a few days, be grumpy, and get back on it. Once I got serious and decided to take a break, it was the easiest thing to stay away from. I'm around it constantly and have no inclination to go back to doing it despite the general harmfulness that is possesses.

Weed became a security blanket for Josh Gordon. The security blanket was ripped off months ago and Gordon has been fine without it. The hard part is over for him. He's burned us before, but I really do feel like he's finally kicked the dro for good...or at least until day 1 of his retirement.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why do you say this? I don't think any of these moves point to Darnold going #1. It doesn't make it any more or less likely we take Darnold. I think of the top 4 QB's, Mayfield is the most like Taylor.

And why would trading down now become less likely than it did yesterday? I don't see how the Tyrod Taylor trade really affected our draft strategy in the first round. Instead of signing a middling FA QB, we traded for one. All it did was cost us a 3rd round pick instead of some FA dollars. Nothing really changed here, unless you're implying that Darnold is the most similar QB to Taylor, which I'd disagree with.

Mayfield is the most similar to Taylor, I agree. Darnold has one or two similar shared skills with Taylor but really plays nothing like him and is a completely different style of QB. With all that, it makes me wonder if we are after Mayfield and want a bridge that is similar.

On the other hand, if they both sat a year, Mayfield would take his first snap at 24 years old and Darnold would take his at 22. Not a dealbreaker but this sort of gives me hope that it’s Darnold. After all, some of Baker’s charm is that he is experience and supposedly ready to go (something I do not believe).

9 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I totally get that and would probably be the same. Either the Browns or the Lions or both. There's something about that Lake Erie water that breeds fans that I honestly don't think exist outside of those fan bases. We had a great season last year but it's been rough the past 17 years before that so definitely hang in there, it will turn around eventually. The crappy moments make the good ones so much sweeter!

As a Browns fan, the Bills playoff story line was one of the most fun/satisfying things to watch last season. Here's to playing each other in the AFC Championship game real soon!

As long as this doesn't stop us from drafting Sam Darnold I can live with the trade. Jarvis solidifies a need at WR and we picked up a CB. The stage is set for a trade up to #2 for Barkley.  Is letsgo still fighting that to the bitter end?

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Sign a veteran. Or wait until Tyrod Taylor was released.

Do anything but throw away a relatively high draft pick for a dude that was going to be released anyways. Tyrod Taylor's grow on trees. There are like 4-5 FA QB's I'd take over him that wouldn't have required trading a pick. And there are other QB's I'd rather have traded a pick to acquire than Tyrod if we felt the need to trade for a veteran. Hundley or Brissett would have been just fine if we felt the need to trade for someone.

Taylor is checkdown charlie. He doesn't fit what we have on offense with Gordon and Coleman being big downfield threats. I can see him throwing 3 yards into the flat to Njoku and Landry all day and never letting Gordon or Coleman go get a 50/50 ball. He's pretty bad.

This doesn't mitigate Taylor's checkdown concerns, nor does it indicate we will use Gordon in this way, but Josh has been great at turning cheap underneath routes into huge plays.  Probably the best I've ever seen in his magnum opus season.  One of the most frustrating things about last year is how we didn't seem too interested in just getting the ball in his hands and letting him work magic.

But at least we have a QB that can reliably get the ball there if we try some short routes with Josh.  I don't see him as relegated to a deep threat at all, he's a complete package.

25 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

As long as this doesn't stop us from drafting Sam Darnold I can live with the trade. Jarvis solidifies a need at WR and we picked up a CB. The stage is set for a trade up to #2 for Barkley.  Is letsgo still fighting that to the bitter end?

I'm against trading up to 2 as well. We can get a potentially great player at 4, or slide down hopefully not more than a couple spots with a team like Jets or Broncos wanting to secure a QB and come away from this draft with a clutch of young promising stars. That being said, if Barkley did slide to 4, I'd be all over him.

Reports were Broncos we’re heavily going after Tyrod Taylor that’s why they threw the third at them. Personally I love it. Going from all those turnovers to someone whos third behind Rodgers and Brady. I’m Td/Int ratio 

Alex Smith: conservative, efficient QB that has some mobility and doesn’t turn the ball over.

Pat Mahomes: Big, instinctual and natural playmaker that plays the position like a pitcher and needs to refine his footwork and overall game to unlock his vast potential.

Tyrod Taylor: conservative, efficient QB that has some mobility and doesn’t turn the ball over.

Sam Darnold: Big, instinctual and natural playmaker that plays the position like a point guard and needs to refine his footwork and overall game to unlock his vast potential.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Alex Smith: conservative, efficient QB that has some mobility and doesn’t turn the ball over.

Pat Mahomes: Big, instinctual and natural playmaker that plays the position like a pitcher and needs to refine his footwork and overall game to unlock his vast potential.

Tyrod Taylor: conservative, efficient QB that has some mobility and doesn’t turn the ball over.

Sam Darnold: Big, instinctual and natural playmaker that plays the position like a point guard and needs to refine his footwork and overall game to unlock his vast potential.

Josh Allen ?

53 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Prediction we get that pick we sent to buffalo back after they trade 21,22,53,54, and 65 for number 4 lol

I’m not big on trading back from 4 to the 20s, but not sure how you say no to this scenario either.

A Bills trade up with someone for QB seems inevitable at this point. 

I like it, it opens up the real option of starting Taylor for 6 or 7 games while Darnold gets used to the speed of pro football and has time to adjust. We do not now need to throw Darnold to the wolves, from game 1. And he will remain a solid backup QB for this team going forward.

I like all the moves so far, very professional and with real purpose, without reducing the strength we possess in this draft.

I'll give Dorsey an 'A' so far. Now comes the draft itself, which will make or break this franchise for years to come.

5 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I like it, it opens up the real option of starting Taylor for 6 or 7 games while Darnold gets used to the speed of pro football and has time to adjust. We do not now need to throw Darnold to the wolves, from game 1. And he will remain a solid backup QB for this team going forward.

I like all the moves so far, very professional and with real purpose, without reducing the strength we possess in this draft.

I'll give Dorsey an 'A' so far. Now comes the draft itself, which will make or break this franchise for years to come.

I think Tyrod is pencilled in for the full season of work. Possibly 13 or 14 games if we are out of contention and want to get Darnold’s feet wet.

Archived