Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

sdrawkcab321

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tyrod is explains the Landry acquisition a bit as well 

Wait, why? Tyrod is best as a deep ball passer. I actually like his fit for a Haley/Hue system a lot. Landry is a pure short passes guy. I don't see how one informs the other.

6 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Wait, why? Tyrod is best as a deep ball passer. I actually like his fit for a Haley/Hue system a lot. Landry is a pure short passes guy. I don't see how one informs the other.

Tyrod takes zero chances and takes the easy, check down throw most often.

He throw deep and checks down; very little intermediate game.  Landry is the checkdown

I called it back in January that Dorsey would likely see Taylor as a new age manifestation of Tyrod.

(See stat and play style comp below)

------------------

We paid the Browns price to guarantee we were left at the altar with no bridge QB.

They probably werent certain of getting Mccarron, McCown or Keenum so before the market opened up we acquired a player in a manner we could control.

Overpaid for sure especially if it's a 1 year bridge. Have to think an extension is in the offings.

Even if we overpaid it was the right move.

----------------------------------

On 1/31/2018 at 7:25 PM, Mind Character said:

We all know stats don't provide context of play and ability.

Interestingly, Tyrod's play style is very similar to Alex Smith's as well, with the caveat being Alex Smith is thought to be more accurate, better on 3rd down, gets the ball out quicker, doesn't stare down receivers as much.

Smith has played on superior teams for the most part.

Tyrod may be had for a 5th rounder or less depending on how this QB market shakes out.

If AJ Mccaron doesn't make it to Unrestricted Free Agency via arbitration, Tyrod may be our guy.

It's likely the smarter move to trade for Tyrod now because we have no idea how likely AJ Mccaron is to become a UFA given the league's precedence for siding with teams over players' rights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyrod Taylor

js5PKtM.png

Alex Smith

0OkJFfq.png

27 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, I don't get this at all. Why not just sign Teddy B or some other similar tier bridge dude?

You make the trade for certainty reasons...we are certain to have a bridge QB that protects the ball.

No other QBs are certain to be available as Im sure they tampered atamperedd who'd be willing to come here if we take a QB at 1 and im sure they were informed via agents that theyd have a harder time signing someone.

1. Bridgewater had catastrophic knee injury...isnt the same player and is too risky to invest in as a solution as a bridge.

2. Bradford has a degenerative knee and after playing exceptional sat out the entire season without having had any contact ingame to his knee. Some people thought he'd retire. He might not even have a full season left inbhis legs.

3. Case Keenum is going to take huge financial committment, was rumored to Denver, and didnt want to come to Cleveland as he wants to be on a contender.

4. AJ Mccarron may have indicated he didnt want to have a number 1 pick breathing down his neck right when he finally gets his opportunity. He may have said he'd like to take visits but would definitely consider the Browns. Thats not the certainty the FO & coach could afford to mess with.

5. Josh McCown was not certain to leave the Jets and could likely be the perfect bridge for them.

6. Matt Moore, Derek Anderson, Chase Daniel, Trevor Sieman....nope.

The trade for Taylor was likely our only risk averse option. Yeah we overpaid but that was what needed to be done to provide the certainty & security we need.

And if we extended Tyrod to an affordable contract, we could allow our rookie QB to sit beyond a year if necessary for their development.

9 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Might that 65th pick end up back with us...

I was just thinking this actually. They could be burning picks for vets in anticipation of getting a bunch of picks back from Buffalo if their preferred QB drops to #4.

38 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, I don't get this at all. Why not just sign Teddy B or some other similar tier bridge dude?

Because they would have strong expectations of being the QBOTF which wouldn't work well with the plan to draft our QBOTF, at least  until Teddy B  or Bradford broke, which also wouldn't work well if our plan is to draft and sit our QBOTF. 

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

One thing people also need to consider is that due to how QBs get paid if Tyrod walks without getting cut we'd likely receive 3rd round compensatory pick or 4th compensatory at worst.

That’s how I feel about the deal as a whole. We will get our moneys worth.

Archived