Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Sigh.

Again - I think his talent and contribution can be replaced. Thats it.

How easily?

There are a lot of holes, and limited resources to address them all.  As it stands right now, the only CB the Packers have is Kevin King.  We created a bigger hole.

Packers fans in a tizzy over losing Randall.  This is going to be the highlight of my off-season.  The guy is marshmallow soft, and Pettine wanted no part of him, so Gute showed him the door.  I won't miss him a bit. The outrage over losing GB's "top" CB is laughable.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Packers fans in a tizzy over losing Randall.  This is going to be the highlight of my off-season.  The guy is marshmallow soft, and Pettine wanted no part of him, so Gute showed him the door.  I won't miss him a bit. The outrage over losing GB's "top" CB is laughable.

^^^^^

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

This is actually a pretty good summary ha. I feel pretty good this is exactly what happened. Pettine wanted nothing to do with the man, and he's not an elite talent where he was willing to try (likely after negative input from the 'football guys' in the locker room and his head coach).

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

The concern is less over losing Randall and more the long term implications of trying to figure out what it means that our new GM's first move looks like a very bad one from the surface. Unless you think Kizer's value was zero, there were better ways to get rid of Randall than to make a lateral move at backup QB. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The concern is less over losing Randall and more the long term implications of trying to figure out what it means that our new GM's first move looks like a very bad one from the surface. Unless you think Kizer's value was zero, there were better ways to get rid of Randall than to make a lateral move at backup QB. 

It's pretty clear we wanted NOTHING to do with Randall who was almost cut midseason. ANY value in return was likely seen as a win.

We are cutting bait with likely two guys from 2017 that left a sour taste in the staffs mouth: Hundley and Randall. In return we will probably get something like Kizer and a 5th and 6th.

It sucks Randall wasn't a better fit, but hoping he was isn't going to make it so. Cut the loss, collect some value, move on.

This isn't some landmark roster move...

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm fine if he was a big problem in the locker room, which it looks like it could be the case. If that wasn't the case I don't see why we don't play out the contract with the little depth and cap room we have. Again we need to see how this all plays out before we say if this was a good or bad move.

This “move” isn’t over. 

Randall must have not been a fit for this defense or this locker room. They would have made it work otherwise. 

Kizer is young, lets sit and breath. We may have traded a mediocre CB for a ‘who knows what.’

We don’t know the total outcome of all this. Personally, I feel this is only the beginning of what is to come this spring. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Adding Kizer could mean the end of Hundley in GB as well.  Even better.

Did you watch Kizer last year?

I can understand why some would write off Hundley after last year. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

I can even understand the idea that you would rather have a lottery ticket than a can of coke.

I don't understand anybody thinking that Kizer is any sort of upgrade at backup QB in the here and now. 6 of Kizer's 15 games he had a passer rating under 50. That isn't just bad, that's completely unwinnable. 

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I've yet to read anywhere Pettine comment about not wanting Randall around?  Is this a fabricated statement or did you read it somewhere?

I understand that he's easily trashed now that he's not a Packer BUT and his struggles in 2016 BUT he was our best CB last year.  We don't beat Dallas without his INT/ TD that gave us the lead for the first time in the game.

Its more so the outrage of creating another hole in the defense than the outrage of trading Randall.  We created another hole and added a guy who's play directly resulted in his team going winless.  The NFL hasn't seen a QB play as bad as Kiezer played last year in 5 or 6 seasons.  

5 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

if they can get a pick from OAK that'd be pretty remarkable 

What makes you think OAK is interested in Hundley? I mean, I agree with your comment - if they can get some value out of him great - but has OAK expressed an interest in the past?

Everybody saying everybody's freaking out about losing Randall really don't get it.  It's not losing Randall, it's the compensation.  Why add Kizer and not just make it a 3rd round pick?  It's stupid compensation.  Yeah, he was a favorite of mine.  I'm a little bothered by people suddenly acting like he was crap because he wasn't.  I wouldn't even be complaining about this right now if the compensation was a receiver or tight end or a safety or a third round pick or literally anything that could help us.  You can do a LOT worse than Damarious Randall no matter who your defensive coordinator is.  If you're going to get rid of a player who can help you, get a player who can help you or a draft pick high enough to help you. 

Bad compensation and creating a bigger hole where you already have a hole is bad.
Bad compensation and not creating a hole or a deeper hole is less bad.
Good compensation and creating a bigger hole where you already have a hole is less bad as well.

We got crap compensation, and we dug a deeper hole at CB.  That's why people are upset. 

Archived