Previous GM's Failures Being Exposed

TheOnlyThing

I do not agree with every point made in this article. However, I think more and more Packer fans are coming around to the same conclusions reached by the author of this piece:

"Brian Gutekunst has a lot of work to do to help clean up the mess created by his predecessor. Thompson’s tenure as general manager in Green Bay was in large part a success, but the last seven years of his time in Green Bay were every bit as frustrating and confusing as the first six years were productive."

https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/10/packers-ted-thompson-failures-gm-exposed/

I read this yesterday, I posted this about it:

Holy crap, he has some good points in there that can't be denied but most of it is garbage. Hindsight stuff, Bennett sucked but everyone was behind that at the time and thought we did better. The running game was fine but he harps that they were later picks. Who cares? But yes it went ignored too long. 

Datone Jones wasn't drafted to be an edge rusher after we just got one. He was drafted to be a lineman but was moved. Again, crap pick, but he complained about the wrong thing.

That's not even all of it. Dude slanted the piss out of that when he had plenty of easy ammo. I could write 5x the Ted sucks article.

And someone followed up with this:

I read it yesterday and thought it was pretty bad IMO. 

I mean he had a point at RB but then ignores that James Starks came through when it mattered most. He also didn't even mention Lacy and made it seem like there is still a hole at RB by underplaying the contributions by the 3 RB's on the roster right now.

In reality 2010 had Starks play a big role in the superbowl. So 2011 almost every fan expected Starks to be a big success again and I don't see why Thompson and the FO shouldn't have expected something similar. 2012 there could be a reason to draft a RB high. Then again, the 2012 RB class was terrible(first 6 RB's were Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson, Isaiah Pead, LaMichael James, and Ronnie Hillman). 2013 he drafted Lacy and Franklin. Both looked very good as rookies and it's too bad what happened to Franklin. Lacy ate his way out of elite capability by his 3rd or maybe 4th year. It definitely could be argued that in 2016 that maybe TT should have went away from Lacy. Either way in 2017 he nailed the RB picks by the looks of it. 

I'll also say that he definitely should have grabbed Lynch but the article didn't mention this so...

Edit : this is rushed up because I have to leave to work right now. The structure makes it painful to read. sorry.

It just seemed poorly done. It's not that he doesn't have any points made, or to be made, but it was just yuck to read. Very amateur, I wouldn't want that in my bag as someone trying to prove stuff about Ted. Also, usual suspects still posting anti Ted stuff. lol. It's gonna be Hawk all over x10

I agree with NormSizedMidget. I think it's a terrible article. Basically he just lists every position group with the exception of OL and WR and says that they stink. The RB and DL groups are pretty strong right now, but he spends more time criticizing those groups than any of the others. The author's assumption seems to be that a team is supposed to find a long-term solution at each position and then keep all of those guys for--how long? He seems to be expecting 10 years or so. The article is written on a very superficial level. It was time for Ted to go, but he was not the disaster that this author makes him out to be. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Did a middle schooler write this article?  I'm legitimately asking, because I'm convinced we're less talented than the Cleveland Browns.

The best part is that the two posters I've seen post, swore it was like this amazing scathing article that should enlighten everyone

It's amateur hour with that guy. Just piss poor writing.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

The best part is that the two posters I've seen post, swore it was like this amazing scathing article that should enlighten everyone

It's amateur hour with that guy. Just piss poor writing.

I mean, based on what was written it's amazing how long Ted Thompson kept his job.

Chargers are signing Casey Hayward to a 3 year, $36 million extension. It begs the question, Did Thompson make an error in not paying Hayward enough to stay here? Or did the Packers defensive coaching staff fail to utilize Hayward's skills to the point where paying him big money would have made sense?  

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm glad I can't even see the OP and be tempted after reading the responses lol

Like a really bad movie review and all your friends say it is awful.....really temping to go and read it just for the laugh

Archived