The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I few things:

-Now you and I both know things can change from year to year and we have seen guys who looked as good as Anderson Jr is, and ended up being a late 1st round to 3rd round pick. Things always happen, plus I'm not a believer of what guys did two years ago being the basis of them being a high pick, they need to constantly prove they are who we all think they are. Look at Thibodeaux, we look at we look at him now but going into the season, he was the assumed #1 pick and ended up going #5 for whatever reason.

-On the surface, I will say that Stroud is as good a QB as Anderson is an edge, I think Stroud is that good and has an elite skill set at QB and I think he can get even better. I will even say that by the end of the season there will be no doubt he will be the #1 pick. Conversely, Anderson could have a legendary season and prove why he should be the #1 pick.

-If Stroud has a Joe Burrow type of season and leads us to a championship (which should be pretty attainable with the offensive weapons and a top 15 defense) its going to be hard for him not to be the #1 pick IMO.

I challenge you to find a DE with the production Will Anderson Jr had last year then dropped off the face of the planet and became a 3rd round pick.  Injury issues would be the only reason for any of that lack in production, the guy will only get better and again I cannot recall any elite level DE having that type of drop and Anderson is as good as any of the best DE prospects over the past 20 years or so.

Julius Peppers
Jadeveon Clowney
Chase Young
Joey Bosa
Chris Long
Mario Williams

All of these DEs were all time greats coming out of college and none had the production Will Anderson Jr had in their best season that Will had in his TRUE sophomore year, it is insane that type of production from a true sophomore and with his work ethic and drive no way he sucks this up coming year and is not better than he was the year before.  

CJ Stroud's come along a lot, well constantly.  There is always an elite level QB in college and constantly will be one over and over and over again, granted playing at Ohio State helps with that offense, those receivers and how they crank out elite players over and over.  Granted still waiting on the one single Ohio State QB to be successful in the NFL, might be Justin Fields as the first ever but only time will tell.

A Will Anderson Jr type does not come along as often.  He potentially could reach Derrick Thomas type production this year, sure it might not happen but if he works on his conditioning a bit and quickness off the snap he could be even better and will be better than last year for sure granted a major injury.   He has intangibles CJ Stroud does not have, but yeah it is a QB driven league and depending on who selects first sure.  

As for championship, good luck beating Alabama, Alabama has a far superior defense and it is not even close and sure Ohio State can hang offensively but that defense needs to greatly improve if they are going to compete for a title but sure they should be in the mix.  

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I challenge you to find a DE with the production Will Anderson Jr had last year then dropped off the face of the planet and became a 3rd round pick.  Injury issues would be the only reason for any of that lack in production, the guy will only get better and again I cannot recall any elite level DE having that type of drop and Anderson is as good as any of the best DE prospects over the past 20 years or so.

Julius Peppers
Jadeveon Clowney
Chase Young
Joey Bosa
Chris Long
Mario Williams

All of these DEs were all time greats coming out of college and none had the production Will Anderson Jr had in their best season that Will had in his TRUE sophomore year, it is insane that type of production from a true sophomore and with his work ethic and drive no way he sucks this up coming year and is not better than he was the year before.  

CJ Stroud's come along a lot, well constantly.  There is always an elite level QB in college and constantly will be one over and over and over again, granted playing at Ohio State helps with that offense, those receivers and how they crank out elite players over and over.  Granted still waiting on the one single Ohio State QB to be successful in the NFL, might be Justin Fields as the first ever but only time will tell.

A Will Anderson Jr type does not come along as often.  He potentially could reach Derrick Thomas type production this year, sure it might not happen but if he works on his conditioning a bit and quickness off the snap he could be even better and will be better than last year for sure granted a major injury.   He has intangibles CJ Stroud does not have, but yeah it is a QB driven league and depending on who selects first sure.  

As for championship, good luck beating Alabama, Alabama has a far superior defense and it is not even close and sure Ohio State can hang offensively but that defense needs to greatly improve if they are going to compete for a title but sure they should be in the mix.  

I'm going to dive more into Anderson Jr (his traits specifically) he might be that good, plus thats a pretty high praise to compare him to DT. 

As far as OSU, I think it will boil down to Paris Johnson and Dawand Jones, if they can play like 1st round prospects, I think everyone can get it including Bama because Stroud (and the running game) will make you pay. We don't have to have an elite defense, just be able to get stops, but if we do have an elite D, watch out. I would challenge anyone if we did have one 

What is your take on Dallas Turner? There are some who think he could be just as good as Turner or better

Edited by MSURacerDT55

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm going to dive more into Anderson Jr (his traits specifically) he might be that good, plus thats a pretty high praise to compare him to DT. 

As far as OSU, I think it will boil down to Paris Johnson and Dawand Jones, if they can play like 1st round prospects, I think everyone can get it including Bama because Stroud (and the running game) will make you pay. We don't have to have an elite defense, just be able to get stops, but if we do have an elite D, watch out. I would challenge anyone if we did have one 

What is your take on Dallas Turner? There are some who think he could be just as good as Turner or better

Who is comparing Will Anderson to a DT?  Will Anderson Jr is a edge player and Derrick Thomas was an edge player, but yeah Will Anderson can be kicked into DT and push dudes around there if asked as well.

Agree the Ohio State offensive line is very key, Dawand Jones should be great and no reason he will not be, but that defense is a massive question mark but maybe the scheme change will help a lot.  Still they do not have the DB talent it seems they usually have.

Dallas Turner is very good but benefits off Anderson being on the other side, he is a slipper edge rusher and will only get better and stronger.  Turner is huge though to provide another pass rushing threat, but Will Anderson Jr is probably the best pass rusher Nick Saban has ever had at Alabama and without him that team would be totally different.  

They do have a lot of returning DL in Eboigbe, Bryce Young, Tim Smith and DJ Dale, all did not have great seasons last year but all have upside and potential to be solid players.  Dale has to round back into form same with Young.  Jamil Burroughs could be a sleeper and surprise some people, big dude who is a decent looking athlete.

And the secondary is the best and deepest in the country, with Moore back from injury and addition of Ricks and Battle returning it could be a great group overall.   They also have Branch, Hellams, McKinstry and Jackson as well.  

Fast rising Calvin Simpson-Hunt has flipped from TT to us. Some saying he has the ability to climb higher in rankings after this season as well. 

Assuming Jermaine Mathews commits tomorrow, that will give us a great CB class and if the rumors about Downs really leaning our way are true, the overall DB class could be exceptionally good.

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Definitely going to buy tickets when we face off against USC.

LA is gonna be a huge travel thing every year for the teams like Michigan, OSU and Penn State that travel.
Have a bunch of Penn State alums in my family that throw money at seeing them every year, they 100% will make that flight out west a couple times. Sure it'll be the same with the others.

21 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

LA is gonna be a huge travel thing every year for the teams like Michigan, OSU and Penn State that travel.
Have a bunch of Penn State alums in my family that throw money at seeing them every year, they 100% will make that flight out west a couple times. Sure it'll be the same with the others.

You're definitely right. Personally, my wife has already suggested we go out to LA for the first time OSU plays USC. I don't have a desire to go into that city, at all, but I'd make an exception lol. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...