The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

51 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Huge get for us

That's good considering right now we have a total of like 31 scholarship dudes on defense for spring practice. If Day doesn't get a handle on defensive recruiting and quick, this program is going to be a laughingstock and the next Oklahoma...winning a lot of high scoring games with zero defense at all, then getting boat raced in playoff games.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's good considering right now we have a total of like 31 scholarship dudes on defense for spring practice. If Day doesn't get a handle on defensive recruiting and quick, this program is going to be a laughingstock and the next Oklahoma...winning a lot of high scoring games with zero defense at all, then getting boat raced in playoff games.

I saw people are concerned about that number. How many would be considered "Average" to have on one side of the ball?

17 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I saw people are concerned about that number. How many would be considered "Average" to have on one side of the ball?

The math says that 35-40% of your scholarships is a laughably low number...and it's not one of those outliers because we have so many dudes going pro early like Alabama or Clemson has occasionally happen to them once every 5 years or so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Dawand Jones has apparently been super impressive in Senior Bowl practices

He's flattened anyone/anything in his path and thus far has looked very capable against some quality prospects in pass pro, really looking like he's earned himself a nice payday maybe even as a first rounder.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, MWil23 said:

winning a lot of high scoring games with zero defense at all, then getting boat raced in playoff games.

Did we get boat raced against Georgia? Seemed to me his strategy came pretty damn close to working.

Unless you think we would have lost to TCU.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Did we get boat raced against Georgia? Seemed to me his strategy came pretty damn close to working.

Unless you think we would have lost to TCU.

I said IF he doesn’t figure it out, it will happen. I stand by that.

During the press conference yesterday, Mark Pantoni basically came right out and said they aren’t going to be able to win the recruitments right now with the guys that have a first priority of NIL. I think you are seeing a slight change, as evidenced by some of the early offers within the state that they have been throwing out, for the next recruiting class. Offers within the state that would typically wait on the back burner until they maybe strike out with a couple of the higher board national guys. Pantoni said they aren’t going to exert the effort for those guys who are going to go elsewhere. Which is unfortunate because you are going to see those elite players go to the competition instead. The numbers suggest that current players at Ohio State are stacking up to any other school as far as NIL. But they aren’t at a point right now at least where they are in bed with collectives to pay these high school kids to come here. I think we are likely to either need to see a change on Ohio State’s end in the near future to stay at this level, or maybe if there is more NCAA regulation, that would level some things out. I wouldn’t really count on that happening though. You are still going to see some really great players that see the development and the chance to get paid, but the ones at least that on the easy money upfront are not going to be an option here. 

As for the Ryan day topic, it’s tough, because you see glimpses of some really great game planning like the scripting you saw most of the Georgia game. And at specific positions at least, you are seeing elite player development. But then you see what has happened in the past two seasons against Michigan and some of the really strange playcalling at points in the season. And for all the reasons they could have won the games, we have also seen them fail to close out teams like Clemson in 2019 and Georgia this year, where they seemed to control most of the game. For one reason or another, they haven’t capitalized on some chances to win national titles when all the talent seemed to be there. If they don’t beat Michigan this next season and don’t get to that next level, the seat is definitely a hot. You can’t lose that rivalry game three seasons in a row. I would say that if he loses to Michigan and misses the playoffs there is a decent chance that is it for him here. Here’s hoping Jim Knowles figures some things out on defense though, and quits going for the home run seemingly every play. In theory, the defense should be at least marginally better next season. All that to say, we are a field goal or bad replay overturn away from a title this year even with the shortcomings. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

During the press conference yesterday, Mark Pantoni basically came right out and said they aren’t going to be able to win the recruitments right now with the guys that have a first priority of NIL. I think you are seeing a slight change, as evidenced by some of the early offers within the state that they have been throwing out, for the next recruiting class. Offers within the state that would typically wait on the back burner until they maybe strike out with a couple of the higher board national guys. Pantoni said they aren’t going to exert the effort for those guys who are going to go elsewhere. Which is unfortunate because you are going to see those elite players go to the competition instead. The numbers suggest that current players at Ohio State are stacking up to any other school as far as NIL. But they aren’t at a point right now at least where they are in bed with collectives to pay these high school kids to come here. I think we are likely to either need to see a change on Ohio State’s end in the near future to stay at this level, or maybe if there is more NCAA regulation, that would level some things out. I wouldn’t really count on that happening though. You are still going to see some really great players that see the development and the chance to get paid, but the ones at least that on the easy money upfront are not going to be an option here. 

As for the Ryan day topic, it’s tough, because you see glimpses of some really great game planning like the scripting you saw most of the Georgia game. And at specific positions at least, you are seeing elite player development. But then you see what has happened in the past two seasons against Michigan and some of the really strange playcalling at points in the season. And for all the reasons they could have won the games, we have also seen them fail to close out teams like Clemson in 2019 and Georgia this year, where they seemed to control most of the game. For one reason or another, they haven’t capitalized on some chances to win national titles when all the talent seemed to be there. If they don’t beat Michigan this next season and don’t get to that next level, the seat is definitely a hot. You can’t lose that rivalry game three seasons in a row. I would say that if he loses to Michigan and misses the playoffs there is a decent chance that is it for him here. Here’s hoping Jim Knowles figures some things out on defense though, and quits going for the home run seemingly every play. In theory, the defense should be at least marginally better next season. All that to say, we are a field goal or bad replay overturn away from a title this year even with the shortcomings. 

I've heard them say this before and honestly, I'm not too upset about it. Do we want bag chasers or do we want kids who can get a bag but also want to play ball? Yes, I know the bag chasers could be great at football as well but I feel like they'd be the ones more inclined to not want to work hard as they got what they want. IIRC, this is why we lost Fletcher this past year which does suck but if that's what he wants (assuming it's true) then so be it. Then you have kids like Inniss who are looking at their future and let's be real, he's still getting paid. Just might be 6 figures and not 7.... until he hits the NFL w/ Hartline's coaching. Obviously this brings in the fact that coaching matters also but I feel we're in a good spot there on offense. 

I absolutely would love to see the NCAA (or anyone) try to regulate how much these kids can get but no one would follow it and they'd just find more ways to get them whatever they wanted. I absolutely agree that it would level things out like you said.

I have faith in Knowles. I know some don't and that's fine but his scheme has been described as complex and guys have been recruited and transferred that fit it better from what I've read. It really sucks b/c competent DB play was really the biggest downfall of our team last season. I think the line underperformed as well in some aspects like being able to get to the QB. Hopefully that changes this year. If we can get to the QB and get above average DB play, our defense will be just fine w/ all the talent we had come back and a lot of potential behind them. Definitely need Styles and Hicks to get more reps this season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...