The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

Just now, THE DUKE said:

We keep "running" the read option play where the QB never keeps it, even when it is wiiiiiide open and an obvious keep read.  As long as we run that play, we should have a QB willing to run it.  

Yeah, it’s insane how they just allow the edge to crash on the running back with no option for the quarterback to pull it.

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, it’s insane how they just allow the edge to crash on the running back with no option for the quarterback to pull it.

Joe Germaine could have had 400 yards running this past year if he would have just been willing to keep it, and while McCord isn't some dynamic runner with his legs, he was plenty athletic enough to pick up a few easy 5-10 yard gains a game.  400 yards is less than 30 yards a game over a 14 game schedule.

Its cool that these guys are sticking around, but reality is that it is going to be the same team as last year with the same problems as last year. Only difference is this time around there is no MHJ and Stover, but instead Tate and Thurman.

I dont know what to think, but what I do know is that Ohio States NIL just put in a massive amount of resources and work to get all of these guys to return. Hoping all of these guys returning results in a massive leap forward in their development too.

Its all on you Ryan Day, the NIL just set it up and you have to spike it now. Anything less than a National Championship appearance results in your job being gone.

Edited by AkronsWitness

29 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

We keep "running" the read option play where the QB never keeps it, even when it is wiiiiiide open and an obvious keep read.  As long as we run that play, we should have a QB willing to run it.  

True

JTT officially coming back. This returns 8/11 starters on one of the best defenses in the country. NIL has changed the game here. This undoubtedly does not happen if NIL doesn't exist. 

No reason we shouldn't have the best defense in the country next year. So much talent and experience.

43 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, that seems to be the case, not official, but that’s been alluded to. Henderson is the last one they are waiting on.

I will say I have not seen this much talent. That’s strapped eligible ever return at Ohio State. They have obviously had had NIL shortcomings with bringing in recruits and such at times but it seems like they are making it worth current players worthwhile to stick around if they aren’t guaranteed to go in high in the draft. 

I don’t think it’s short comings with recruits. I believe, especially with What Ewers did, you don’t give the bag to a freshman because you can’t count on them to stay while promising them future playing time. Pay the guys already playing and it makes it easier for both sides.

smart, you have no idea what a freshman might do but you know exactly what you are getting out of your draft eligible guys

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its cool that these guys are sticking around, but reality is that it is going to be the same team as last year with the same problems as last year. Only difference is this time around there is no MHJ and Stover, but instead Tate and Thurman.

I dont know what to think, but what I do know is that Ohio States NIL just put in a massive amount of resources and work to get all of these guys to return. Hoping all of these guys returning results in a massive leap forward in their development too.

Its all on you Ryan Day, the NIL just set it up and you have to spike it now. Anything less than a National Championship appearance results in your job being gone.

How can you say it might just be the same team last year, when guys are growing and developing as well?

hell having an experienced QB greatly changes the team up, especially one that is actually mobile and athletic. 

Yes a lot of returners but last year OSU was breaking in a 1st year starting QB and 4 1st year starting lineman. Now next year OSU has a QB who has started 25 games and has played pretty well for a lower tier of a team. OL returns 4 starters and brings in a guy who started nearly 2 years for bama.  Those two differences alone transforms the team.

now add Jud to the team. When Henderson is out of the game, you could drastically tell. Running game was never the same. Jud might be a better back than him. So now they have a stud RB in at all times when one or the other is out.

on paper you could say the weaknesses on the team last year are still the weaknesses on the team this year but only because no one though the players that made other aspects the strengths would return. I thought the DL was going to be a weakness next year because of losing Sawyer and JTT but not anymore. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I don’t think it’s short comings with recruits. I believe, especially with What Ewers did, you don’t give the bag to a freshman because you can’t count on them to stay while promising them future playing time. Pay the guys already playing and it makes it easier for both sides.

smart, you have no idea what a freshman might do but you know exactly what you are getting out of your draft eligible guys

Miami bought multiple guys from our class last year and we couldn't stay in it for some other guys in some tight recruitments. This isn’t really much of a debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

It’s because it’s just inside zone and you don’t block the edge guy. It’s no secret that Day instructed Fields and Stroud to never pull it until playoff time for fear of injury. Ask Dave B, I heard him report that in 2021.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

How can you say it might just be the same team last year, when guys are growing and developing as well?

hell having an experienced QB greatly changes the team up, especially one that is actually mobile and athletic. 

Yes a lot of returners but last year OSU was breaking in a 1st year starting QB and 4 1st year starting lineman. Now next year OSU has a QB who has started 25 games and has played pretty well for a lower tier of a team. OL returns 4 starters and brings in a guy who started nearly 2 years for bama.  Those two differences alone transforms the team.

now add Jud to the team. When Henderson is out of the game, you could drastically tell. Running game was never the same. Jud might be a better back than him. So now they have a stud RB in at all times when one or the other is out.

on paper you could say the weaknesses on the team last year are still the weaknesses on the team this year but only because no one though the players that made other aspects the strengths would return. I thought the DL was going to be a weakness next year because of losing Sawyer and JTT but not anymore. 

Because it's all projection and speculation. We all thought these guys were going to set the world on fire this past season and break out but none of them really did. They were largely the same players they were a year before in 2022 or worse. JT/Sawyer/Egbuka, the entire OL, the entire LB unit, Mike Hall regressed, Eichenberg regressed, ect.

Outside of Burke having a bounceback year, Stover and Tyleik Williams-- I cant think of another player on the entire roster who took a significant leap forward in their development from 2022 and that became a massive reason for their demise in the end. There is no guarantee that just because they are coming back that they are going to be coming back as better players and that's largely on coaching. There is hope, sure, but last year burned me and now Im erring on the side of caution. Natural instinct.

So having these guys return is wonderful with the caveat that the coaching staff coaches like their jobs are on the line (because they are) and gets these guys to the next level. Especially Sawyer and JT who were the 2 top recruits at their position and 2 of the top 5 recruits in the country but have came nowhere close to living up to it.

RBs: The run game is the run game. I thought Chip/Miyan did perfectly fine behind Henderson last year so while having Jud is going to be nice--I dont think its a huge needle mover for the offense unless Henderson leaves. If the OL still sucks, hes not going to be able to do much more than Chip did. Also, what about Hayden? How long can they keep him on ice before he transfers? Everytime he is given a chance, he looks great and they went out and replaced him with Jud (pending Henderson coming back). 

QBs: While Im optimistic about Howard as a transfer, largely because it means I dont have to watch Devin Brown steal valuable reps attempting to throw a football, there is only so much excitement I can have for a guy whose best college offer was Kansas State and had his own ups and downs. The general consensus from draftniks on social media is he has similar passing ability to McCord, but he can run a bit. Which is...meh. Especially knowing Day doesnt like to use his QBs to run anyways so does that part of his game really matter?

Im just a bit pessimistic right now after how the season ended. Less talking, less hype...show me Ws and coaches better coach their *** off. Ill regain confidence and be less pessimistic after they beat UM and play for a national championship--because thats the standard. 😎 Just let me be a jaded OSU fan until next season, I use up all of my optimism with the Browns.