The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

For what it's worth, Fivethirtyeight this year started adding their own metric to have essential a rolling average rating for Quarterbacks and essentially their "elo addition" to a team. That's a long way of saying that they've been tracking which quarterbacks add the most to their teams' ability to win. In that metric, Kirk Cousins in tops in the NFC North at 216 elo points added. That's fourth best in the NFC behind only Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan.

Only Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson rank ahead of Cousins currently in the AFC.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

CMC got his *** kicked by Atlanta.

Kinda funny how CMC getting his butt kicked by a team still means he combines for 191 yards (70 rushing/121 receiving) and averages 5.0 YPC on 14 carries lol

But you're right. If Carolina would have made the playoffs, CMC would be right in the thick of the MVP talks but as much as I LOVE CMC....I can't give him the MVP vote if Carolina doesn't make the playoffs.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

8 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Kinda funny how CMC getting his butt kicked by a team still means he combines for 191 yards (70 rushing/121 receiving) and averages 5.0 YPC on 14 carries lol

But you're right. If Carolina would have made the playoffs, CMC would be right in the thick of the MVP talks but as much as I LOVE CMC....I can't give him the MVP vote if Carolina doesn't make the playoffs.

Cousins has a better argument now in the MVP race.

Question for Valhalla.....VERY pre-mature but why not....

Vikings make the playoffs as WC this season. Win a game in the WC but lose on the road in the divisional round.  Kirk plays the same next year as he did this year (very good) but still no Super Bowl appearance mostly because of a declining defense.

Do you let Kirk walk and find a cheaper option (stop-gap and/or rookie) since the spendy QB couldn't get it done or do you extend him and hope Zimmer (or whomever is coaching) can bring the defense back to elite status?

I have to say.....if I can get this Kirk for 2-3 more seasons after 2020 and hopefully save some cap money on his next contract by structuring it different (since we won't have to bid against other teams in free agency), I bring him back rather than going back to the unknown with a rookie QB or some cheaper stop-gap option.

It's still a fairly young offense (Cook is 24, Diggs is 25, Thielen is 29, I.S. JR is 21, Kirk is 31, a couple young linemen (Bradbury/O'Neill)…..this offense could easily still be producing well 3-4 more years down the line if it's kept together (Thielen might be getting long in the tooth by then, though). I'd be inclined not to waste the primes of Cook/Diggs on an unknown QB option.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Vikings make the playoffs as WC this season. Win a game in the WC but lose on the road in the divisional round.  Kirk plays the same next year as he did this year (very good) but still no Super Bowl appearance mostly because of a declining defense.

Do you let Kirk walk and find a cheaper option (stop-gap and/or rookie) since the spendy QB couldn't get it done or do you extend him and hope Zimmer (or whomever is coaching) can bring the defense back to elite status?

I have to say.....if I can get this Kirk for 2-3 more seasons after 2020 and hopefully save some cap money on his next contract by structuring it different, I bring him back rather than going back to the unknown with a rookie QB or some cheaper option.

Unless their is another Lamar Jackson or Pat Mahomes sitting there. I'm going with Kirk. You're not going to get better QB play out of another QB in the draft unless one of those young studs is available. Maybe Justin Fields.

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Unless their is another Lamar Jackson or Pat Mahomes sitting there. I'm going with Kirk. You're not going to get better QB play out of another QB in the draft unless one of those young studs is available. Maybe Justin Fields.

I have to agree.

And you'd think now that Kirk got his mega deal ($84 million in his pocket and his financially set for life), he'd come back on a more team friendly contract with the hopes of winning a Super Bowl instead of starting all over again on a different team and just finish his career here.

Like I added onto my original post, I'm not inclined to potentially waste the primes of Cook and Diggs on a shot in the dark QB unless, like you said, we end up with one in our lap (we aren't getting a top-10 pick soon). Just use early draft picks on o-line and getting the defense back to 2017 levels and NOT worry about QB for the next 4-5 years.

3 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I have to agree.

And you'd think now that Kirk got his mega deal ($84 million in his pocket and his financially set for life), he'd come back on a more team friendly contract with the hopes of winning a Super Bowl instead of starting all over again on a different team and just finish his career here.

Like I added onto my original post, I'm not inclined to potentially waste the primes of Cook and Diggs on a shot in the dark QB unless, like you said, we end up with one in our lap (we aren't getting a top-10 pick soon). Just use early draft picks on o-line and getting the defense back to 2017 levels and NOT worry about QB for the next 4-5 years.

He said in his presser that he has been well compensated. Maybe he's willing to take less money in his next contract to ensure the Vikings can sign players and keep their good players.

20 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I have to say.....if I can get this Kirk for 2-3 more seasons after 2020 and hopefully save some cap money on his next contract by structuring it different (since we won't have to bid against other teams in free agency), I bring him back rather than going back to the unknown with a rookie QB or some cheaper stop-gap option.

It's still a fairly young offense (Cook is 24, Diggs is 25, Thielen is 29, I.S. JR is 21, Kirk is 31, a couple young linemen (Bradbury/O'Neill)…..this offense could easily still be producing well 3-4 more years down the line if it's kept together (Thielen might be getting long in the tooth by then, though). I'd be inclined not to waste the primes of Cook/Diggs on an unknown QB option.

I probably don't make that decision until next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Any Given Sunday. CMC got his *** kicked by Atlanta. Carolina won't even make the playoffs so CMC shouldn't even be in the MVP discussion.

Well I think you quoted the wrong post.

But for context CMC is on pace for 1700 rushing yards and over 800 receiving yards.

He has 3 more TDs than Dalvin.

Also would put him 200 yard over AP's all purpose yards. AP had 13 Total TDs that season. CMC is currently at 13

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I highly doubt he has an interest In signing backup level money to compete. Especially in Miami of all teams given his public display of support for a former leader just south of Florida. 

As it relates to his chances of returning to the NFL, I’d say it’s moot after blowing off the NFLs workout, which was awkward nevertheless.

Where do people get the idea that he won't sign for backup level money? NO ONE HAS OFFERED A CONTRACT TO HIM.  This is ridiculous. Kaepernick is thoughtful and intelligent. I highly doubt he thinks he's going to waltz into a starting gig and Cousin-type contract after 3 years away from the game.

The NFL workout was a sham. Period. It was set up by the NFL in an attempt to shield themselves from future legal action. Kaepernick refused to be snowballed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Where do people get the idea that he won't sign for backup level money? NO ONE HAS OFFERED A CONTRACT TO HIM.  This is ridiculous. Kaepernick is thoughtful and intelligent. I highly doubt he thinks he's going to waltz into a starting gig and Cousin-type contract after 3 years away from the game.

The NFL workout was a sham. Period. It was set up by the NFL in an attempt to shield themselves from future legal action. Kaepernick refused to be snowballed. 

I object, Your Honor!

Irrelevant to this discussion topic, and I petition the Court to move such views to our NFL Snooze News Thread. Thank you, Your Honor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It shouldn't have been in doubt, but we should also acknowledge that Cousins played really well in the comeback.  It wasn't his fault that the team was down 20-0, as it was a combination of inability to run and bad play-calling that made them unable to sustain drives.  That doesn't matter anymore though, they came back and they won.  Denver is better than their record indicates.    

VD edited his post so I'll address you both.

I acknowledge Cousins played better in the second half. I also acknowledge that defense and special teams played a significant role in the points deficit.

However, Cousins leads the NFL with 2.98 s to throw according to NFL Next Gen Stats.

He is 21in Avg intended Air Yards, and 14 in Avg Completed Air Yards. That tells me he doesn't want to throw it deep, and his WRs make up for the short throws with YAC.

He rarely checks the play at the LOS and makes corrections based on the defense. Either he isn't allowed or isn't capable.

Finally, one play stood out to me, that is the epitome of Cousins career. it was the play were we had a free play. Cousins recognized it, and was yelling to snap the ball. He then checked it own to his FB after 3 seconds. He won't even take a shot on a free play.

Cousins isn't the future of this franchise.

20 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Cousins isn't the future of this franchise.

I agree that he's not, but I still acknowledge when he has played well, which he did in the comeback...despite what you pointed out in his failure to throw it deep on the "free play", which he's done more than once.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I agree that he's not, but I still acknowledge when he has played well, which he did in the comeback...despite what you pointed out in his failure to throw it deep on the "free play", which he's done more than once.  

Not the future of the franchise. Just the future for the next 5 or 6 years.

Just now, TENINCH said:

Not the future of the franchise. Just the future for the next 5 or 6 years.

I'm not necessarily sold on him being the future for that amount of time.  He's 31 years old now and I only think he's got maybe 4-5 more years in him total, as I don't think he's one of those guys that will be successful in his late 30s.  I'm still of the notion that they need to draft a QB in one of the first 2 rounds next season.