The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Throw in the towel? Why is that even in your reply? 

Because while you didn't explicitly say it, your post implies that the Vikings simply aren't good enough to compete with those teams.

Edited by JDBrocks

18 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Which has nothing to do with trying. Zero. They aren't as good as those other teams, imo, but that doesn't mean you quit. Stuff happens all the time. 

Ok. I'm just answering the question that you asked. He provided a lot of pretty good info that contradicts the "not good enough" narrative that you support. 

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not concerned with Cousins in a shootout, I am concerned by how I saw the Vikings play against Seattle last season.  I don't know last year Seattle team's defense compares to this years, but the Vikings offense was overwhelmed last season.

There's a reason why the OC from that game isn't here anymore.  

20 hours ago, Torchezim said:

I am directing the fact that we shouldn’t be happy with average all the time.

Yes, this is a forum, and even if someone within the Vikings organization was to see it, I don’t think it would matter much. But a lot of fans could matter. 

To answer you, I would hope to draft one that could sit for a while and learn.  If we drafted one in 2021 though, he probably wouldn’t have much time to sit. 

In my opinion, when a front office begins to pay attention to what fans want, then that franchise is in real trouble!

Is whether, in your opinion, people are "happy" with Cousins play or not the thing that really is irritating you?  If so, you are really going to be frustrated on this board.  I am really hard on Cousins when he stinks, and I am happy when he plays well.  I also don't get bothered when someone holds a different opinion from mine.  For me, in my opinion, that's the only way I continue to have fun on this site.

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Throw in the towel? Why is that even in your reply? 

OK, no way their fans should conclude the season is a lost cause at this point.

Didn't mean to suggest you were saying the team should quit. 

But many of the discussions here seem to presume that the Vikings have already failed this season, when in fact they're doing very well, and have a legitimate chance to win it all. 

I agree, they are good. But I don't see an elite team right now. They got ridiculously luck in Dallas when Dallas decided to run the ball at the end

I don't think there are any elite teams in the NFL aside from the Patriots.

If you think the Vikings "got lucky" that the Cowboys decided to run the ball on 3rd and 2 with an all-Pro RB (the highest-paid RB in the league) behind an all-star OL (the 2 most expensive total contracts in the league for OL, and 4 members of the line with contracts of $50M or more), instead of making a good play, but the Cowboys didn't "get lucky" when the Vikings dropped 2 INTs that likely would have gone for pick 6s, making the score 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter or 35-24 late in the 4th quarter, then I think your interpretation of how that game went is skewed.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, Skins212689 said:

My statement to that is, I'd rather suck and be in position to upgrade the QB spot than to consistently go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 and not make the playoffs with Cousin's or make them and have Cousin's go back to Mr Mediocre in Must Win moment's. 

Point 1:  I'd rather suck...

I'd rather not suck.  We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Point 2:  Sucking will lead to getting a HOF QB and eventually a SB win.

Lions sucked.  Drafted Stafford #1 overall.  They still suck.  Browns sucked.  Drafted Baker #1 overall.  Still suck.  Jets sucked.  Drafted Darnold #4 overall.  Still suck.  Rosen #10 overall and Murray #1 overall were drafted by the Cards.  They still suck.  Jones #6 overall was drafted by the Giants.  Still suck.  Haskins #15 overall was drafted by your buddies.  They still suck.  Trubisky #2 overall was drafted by the Bears and gave them a wild card loss in the playoffs and they suck again. 

Goff seems to be the exception, rather than the blueprint.

Point 3:  You have to suck to get a HOF QB.

Saints signed Brees in free agency.

Allen was drafted by the Bills (#7 overall) after they went 9-7 the year before.  Mahomes was drafted (#10 overall) by KC after they went 12-4 the year before.  Wentz was drafted (#2 overall) by Philly after they went 7-9 the year before.  Rogers was drafted by the Packers (#24 overall) after they went 10-6 the year before.  Watson was drafted (#12) overall by Houston after they went 9-7 the year before.  Wilson was drafted by the Seahawks after going 7-9 the year before.  Brady was drafted (#199 overall) by the Patriots after they went 8-5 the year before.

• Like 3

I can't understand how people can say Vikings got lucky in Dallas....Vikings were missing their best receiver, CB and also Linval...It's not like Vikings got some lucky turnovers or anything...infact Vikings dropped like 2 interceptions, one of those easily could have been a Pick6. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I can't understand how people can say Vikings got lucky in Dallas....Vikings were missing their best receiver, CB and also Linval...It's not like Vikings got some lucky turnovers or anything...infact Vikings dropped like 2 interceptions, one of those easily could have been a Pick6. 

The Vikings missing players isn't relevant... But they did drop two defensive TDs for sure. 

30 minutes ago, Krauser said:

OK, no way their fans should conclude the season is a lost cause at this point.

Didn't mean to suggest you were saying the team should quit. 

But many of the discussions here seem to presume that the Vikings have already failed this season, when in fact they're doing very well, and have a legitimate chance to win it all. 

I don't think there are any elite teams in the NFL aside from the Patriots.

If you think the Vikings "got lucky" that the Cowboys decided to run the ball on 3rd and 2 with an all-Pro RB (the highest-paid RB in the league) behind an all-star OL (the 2 most expensive total contracts in the league for OL, and 4 members of the line with contracts of $50M or more), instead of making a good play, but the Cowboys didn't "get lucky" when the Vikings dropped 2 INTs that likely would have gone for pick 6s, making the score 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter or 35-24 late in the 4th quarter, then I think your interpretation of how that game went is skewed.

The cowboys couldn't run all day. Once they figured that out, the Vikings couldn't stop them. So yes, I think it was lucky the cowboys did that.

The Vikings dropping easy interceptions was lucky for the cowboys for sure .... That doesn't change the other part of the luck. 

24 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I would say they caught a break in the end by the Cowboys deciding to take the ball out of Prescott’s hands who was shredding the defense from the 2nd quarter on. Lucky isn’t the word I’d use. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I would say they caught a break in the end by the Cowboys deciding to take the ball out of Prescott’s hands who was shredding the defense from the 2nd quarter on. Lucky isn’t the word I’d use. 

The Cowboys had 48 pass plays vs 22 runs. Not exactly run-heavy play calling.

Their last drive was all pass plays, ended with a Hail Mary INT. 

Their drive before that ended on a 4th down pass, incomplete. Before that, they ran twice at 2nd and 2. Short yardage runs are typically smart play calling, not doing the defense any favors. 

That same drive should've been stopped several plays earlier on a pass, when Alexander dropped a pick 6.

The drive before that was stopped on a sack, on a 3rd down pass play. But a phantom defensive holding call gave the Cowboys a new set of downs. They drove down to the 6 before kicking a FG after a set of downs that went run, pass, pass. 

The drive before that ended with Cooper's ridiculous catch for a TD, which arguably should've been called back for OPI. 

That was the entire second half. Show me again where the Vikings caught a break.

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, since72 said:

Point 1:  I'd rather suck...

I'd rather not suck.  We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Point 2:  Sucking will lead to getting a HOF QB and eventually a SB win.

Lions sucked.  Drafted Stafford #1 overall.  They still suck.  Browns sucked.  Drafted Baker #1 overall.  Still suck.  Jets sucked.  Drafted Darnold #4 overall.  Still suck.  Rosen #10 overall and Murray #1 overall were drafted by the Cards.  They still suck.  Jones #6 overall was drafted by the Giants.  Still suck.  Haskins #15 overall was drafted by your buddies.  They still suck.  Trubisky #2 overall was drafted by the Bears and gave them a wild card loss in the playoffs and they suck again. 

Goff seems to be the exception, rather than the blueprint.

Point 3:  You have to suck to get a HOF QB.

Saints signed Brees in free agency.

Allen was drafted by the Bills (#7 overall) after they went 9-7 the year before.  Mahomes was drafted (#10 overall) by KC after they went 12-4 the year before.  Wentz was drafted (#2 overall) by Philly after they went 7-9 the year before.  Rogers was drafted by the Packers (#24 overall) after they went 10-6 the year before.  Watson was drafted (#12) overall by Houston after they went 9-7 the year before.  Wilson was drafted by the Seahawks after going 7-9 the year before.  Brady was drafted (#199 overall) by the Patriots after they went 8-5 the year before.

Agree to Disagree than. You payed Cousins 84 million to get you no SuperBowls of Playoff Wins. I'm not down for that. 

21 minutes ago, Krauser said:

The Cowboys had 48 pass plays vs 22 runs. Not exactly run-heavy play calling.

Their last drive was all pass plays, ended with a Hail Mary INT. 

Their drive before that ended on a 4th down pass, incomplete. Before that, they ran twice at 2nd and 2. Short yardage runs are typically smart play calling, not doing the defense any favors. 

That same drive should've been stopped several plays earlier on a pass, when Alexander dropped a pick 6.

The drive before that was stopped on a sack, on a 3rd down pass play. But a phantom defensive holding call gave the Cowboys a new set of downs. They drove down to the 6 before kicking a FG after a set of downs that went run, pass, pass. 

The drive before that ended with Cooper's ridiculous catch for a TD, which arguably should've been called back for OPI. 

That was the entire second half. Show me again where the Vikings caught a break.

In that situation,  I don’t think calling consecutive run plays on 2nd and 3rd down was good playcalling given how successful Prescott was on that drive moving the ball through the air while starting the drive deep in their own territory. I would have been shocked if the Vikes stopped Prescott if he was given the opportunity to win the game with two additional pass opportunities. I think Dallas was trying to manage the clock, so the playcall to run made sense theoretically, just don’t think you take the ball out of Prescott’s hands in that situation.

id argue the same that the Packers caught a break week 2 when MN drove the ball down the field to potentially go ahead late in the game by running the ball. They went away from what was working and let Cousins try and win it, he threw an Interception.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1